What type of radio?

Thechap

Aircraft
Air Command 503
Total Flight Time
12.5 hours
Okay guys, need your help. I'm looking to purchase a radio that I can connect to my helmet, ect. And, I need to know what type of helmet. Full face, half, whatever will work for my open Air Command. At some point in time I wouldn't mind listening to a little Bach up there. No, just kidding about Bach. Now ZZ Top would be great!

I really need this information like yesterday. Makes, models, ect.

Thanks,

Thechap

Bryan,

Flying an open frame, single place machine, I felt it made a lot of sense to use a full face helmet for the ultimate level of protection. However, full face helmets are a lot less convenient to wear in some situations so I found a motorcycle helmet that was full face but has a joint that allows the Jaw portion to be swung up (like a visor on some helmets). This makes for the ultimate in protection and convenience (at least from y perspective). However the helmet doesn't include a headset or mike, but I found a company that will install an aviation headset and mike into a full face helmet. I was so excited but after sending in my helmet to receive the modification, and waiting about a month, I got the helmet back with a note explaining that the joint in my helmet would interfere with their installation and they didn't feel like it could be done with my helmet.

So I had to look for another solution. What I came up with was the "Clarity Aloft" headset. This is a very light headset made up of a small wire that runs over your ear and holds two small ear plugs that go into your ear, and a very light boom microphone. This can very comfortably be worn under any helmet and provides excellent noise reduction and a wind protected environment for the microphone. I am very happy with it so far. However it isn't an innexpensive choice. You can learn more about this option by logging onto "clarityaloft.com" .

What radio?

What radio?

What radios are you guys using?
I'm currently in the market and need input. I am told that the Sporty's handheld is the only radio that is set up to work with the impedance of a standard aviation headset. So I am wondering what other people do for radio and headset combinations for open frame gyros?
I'm going to watch this thread closely as I also need a helmet.

Icoms are bigger and bulkier, they use older technology, and they don't offer the FM music stations band for the same price as the smaller, better-priced Vertex line. I have never had a problem with my Vertex. Mine hit the ground at 45 mph and never skipped a beat. THey are water-tight to fully submersed, so you don't need to worry about flying it in the rain. Icoms used to be the cat's whiskers, but they have been eclipsed by the smaller-is-better Vertex. I have never had issues with engine spark wire noise, and even using the rubber duck I am heard for miles around. With a properly tuned ground plane and whip antennae, it is even better, of course.

Go to Comtronics for the best deals on a line of colored helmets with headphones, mic, plus options of removeable visor, face shields in various shadings or clear. Dont' waste your time and money trying to scrimp and jury rig a motorcycle helmet set-up, it will just be a disappointing mess in the end.

Comtronics has outstanding support, and you can later upgrade to a tandem gyro and add a second helmet and intercom easily.

http://www.comtronics-aero.com/

Last edited:
Helmet and headset decisions are the easy part. I am still struggling to make my Icom transmit a readable message over the "noise" created by my Rotax 582 at rpm's over 4000. Maybe folks could chime in on their set of helmet,headset,antenna,radio that actually works. I do know for certain that Icom radios are problematical.

Comtronics helmet and a vertex raido is the best combo that I have came across,I have tried most all combos in the past thirty years. But I have never owned a rotax.

Bud,
I have been tossing your combination around in my head. Now that you posted this, it gives me a chance to ask someone about them.
What model Vertex do you use?
Do you have to use a special patch cable (large and small ends) to plug into the radio for seperate speaker/mic functions as with the ICOM radios?
Does it require a specific pre-amp in the PTT bungie cord for the single plug Comptronics helmet w/electrit mic?
Thanks in advance,

I need something simple and that will work! I don't mind spending the money, but this is going to be my first and I need direction.

Thanks everyone!

Thechap

Ditto

Ditto

Had the same noise problem with an icom A6 flying behind a rotax 277. I've never used the vertex but from what I've heard it sounds like a winner. Picking up fm stations sounds like a nice bonus too.

Helmet and headset decisions are the easy part. I am still struggling to make my Icom transmit a readable message over the "noise" created by my Rotax 582 at rpm's over 4000. Maybe folks could chime in on their set of helmet,headset,antenna,radio that actually works. I do know for certain that Icom radios are problematical.

Attachments

• 11-02944.jpg
    11-02944.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 15831.jpg
    15831.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
Mark,
Mine is the Vertex standard pilot 111 w/vor. Yes it requires a differant attachment than a icom. These screw into the radio as to make it water resistant.

I have the Icom A-14 and it rocks! the battery never goes dead! I am using a flightcom noise canceling headset, it is a great set up.

Radio

Headset

I have the Icom A-14 and it rocks! the battery never goes dead! I am using a flightcom noise canceling headset, it is a great set up.

Radio

Headset

Scott, that is good point about battery life. The Vertex went to about 14 hours when new, I am not sure how long mine goes now, but it is pretty darn long. Depends mostly on transmit use, of course.

The model I bought a few years ago was a Vertex VXA-710 SPIRIT.

I had a Comtronics intercom that came on my first Air Command Tandem. With the new helmet, I needed to send the unit back to them for an upgrade. The guru at Comtronics wired it up with a DIP switch and an impedence-matched amplifier circuit to accomodate both the newer electret and older dynamic mics.

They also sent me the smaller telephone jack that fits aircraft PTTs so I could get everything all matched up, old tech with new, on both the tandem and the single place Bee. So swapping the radio back and forth is just a few minutes of plugging, unplugging, a button-hole mount on each gyro that utilizes the belt clip attachment on the back of the radio, a little velcro here and there and some wire organizing clips.

Comtronics are great folks to deal with, and can hook you up with whatever adapters that you need. I love my radio, I used to have an A23 but the new one is much better.
I also like the headset very much and bought the comtronics helmet that fits over the headset.

I've only had an Icom A-5 and my new A-14. I love my A-14. Like Scott said the battery is absolutely amazing. I use it with a rubber ducky and get very good results. Be sure to disable the internal mike when using the PTT.
And I also use a Comtronics helmet.

I use a FL760 in my Tandem Air Command, with a simple whip antenna. It works great, but the radio is around $675, and you have to solder the harness yourself. It mounts in the instrument panel, but needs to be secured properly in addition to the four front mounting screws to prevent the inside mounting from breaking due to vibrations.

Antony Thomas
Commercial/Instrument helicopter/AGI

vehicle mount radio?

vehicle mount radio?

what about a permenant mount not a hand held. For those that want there radios as part of the avionics section.

I've bought quite a few Yaesu/Vertex products over the years, and a few Icom products, and both are generally excellent companies. As far as aircraft handhelds, I'd have a hard time deciding.

Icom uses a standard BNC connector for the antenna, which is very handy for quickly changing from the rubber duck to an external antenna, while Vertex uses an SMA connector, requiring an adapter to work with BNC. I have this same connector on a Yaesu ham handheld, and I've been through three adapters so far. When they break, your only option will be putting the duck back on, possibly in flight. This is a very poor design decision in an aviation radio, IMHO.

Yaesu/Vertex also seems to be fond of tiny, dimly-lit frequency displays.

The Icoms seem to have problems working with external headsets for 9 out of 10 people who buy them. Makes it kinda moot point whether the antenna connector is better.

I really like the Sporty's handheld. BNC antenna connector, intuitive controls, works with aircraft headsets without the kluge of external preamps or capacitors, huge display, and a light that stays on till you turn it back off. I'm told it's made by JRC, which is an excellent Japanese manufacturer. But at twice the price of the Icom and Vertex, eh.....

Last edited: