What to build.

Thechap

Aircraft
Air Command 503
Total Flight Time
12.5 hours
Let me be honest with everyone. I have always wanted to fly a Gyro. I took my first ride about a month ago and it scared the crap out of me. I have been in planes and helicopters, but I have to admit, when I was in the Gyro it scared me. But, I still want to buy and fly. From all the professionals out there. What kit should I buy. I plan on (hopefully) to get Chris Burgess to teach me how to fly one. Money is tight right now but dang, I want one.

Thanks,

Bryan

Let me be honest with everyone. I have always wanted to fly a Gyro. I took my first ride about a month ago and it scared the crap out of me. I have been in planes and helicopters, but I have to admit, when I was in the Gyro it scared me. But, I still want to buy and fly. From all the professionals out there. What kit should I buy. I plan on (hopefully) to get Chris Burgess to teach me how to fly one. Money is tight right now but dang, I want one.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,

Asking "what kit should I buy?" is like saying "what should I eat for Dinner?". It really depends on your goals and requirements, how much money you have to spend, how much you weigh, where you will be flying from and what kind of flying you want to do. While we could really get into debating all the advantages and disadvantages of all the different machines available out there (and that might be fun) you really need to start doing some research and learning about all the different machines available, then you need to decide what your priorities are and what you have to work with. Once you have a firm grasp on some of those issues, you will be in a much better position to understand and use the kind of information you are asking for here.

Here are some questions to ponder to help you get ready:

Do you want to fly a single seater or a two place machine?
Open frame machine or an enclosed cockpit? (or semi enclosed?)
How much money do you have available to get into a machine?
Do you have any special mission requirements?
Where do you want to fly?
Where will you store your aircraft?

One of your first steps should be to find the nearest PRA chapter and join it. Spend time around people who are doing what you want to do and learn from them. Take your time and learn as much as you can before you start making decisions that can change your life. Enjoy the journey because figuring out what you want to fly is one of the most enjoyable parts of the whole journey. Best of luck!!!

Gyro Doug

Let me be honest with everyone. I have always wanted to fly a Gyro. I took my first ride about a month ago and it scared the crap out of me. I have been in planes and helicopters, but I have to admit, when I was in the Gyro it scared me.

Why would you want to own a flying machine that has scared you?

Do you think you really would want to fly it, let alone actually ever fly it?

Why not go with a plane or helicopter instead?

Who gave you the scary ride?

Why was it scary?

Was it the lack of a dashboard. like what an airplane or helicopter has, that made it scary?

Welcome to the Forum, should you decide a Helicopter is more to your likings and in your budget, get back to me. I have a nice restored Helicom Commuter H-1B for sale.

Bryan
Check out U-tube. I think watching the different machines fly might help you decide what type of machine your drawn to. Gyrobee is a popular home bulit model and plans are available on line free. You can build a Dominator from plans purchased from Rotor Flight Dynamics or buy a kit. A new ultralight model is now available from Butterfly, Gyro Doug can help you there. 2-place enclosed machines are available, but please do your research first and ask lots of questions online here before you buy. Good luck and a word of advice, take your time and talk to Chris before you purchase your first machine.

Russ

Thanks,

Bryan

You say it scared you but yet you want one. You also say money is tight. Even though you can get into gyros relitively inexpensively, it is not cheap. Visiting a PRA club would help you a lot because you will get to know people that can help you in your decisions. Maybe instead of building one you should consider buying a used one. Building a single place from scratch or a kit will cost you from 10 - 15 thousand dollars, probably closer to 15. If you decide later that it's not the thing for you and want to sell it you will probably only get about 7 - 8 thousand if it was built right and is flying. You can purchase a good used one and then if you decide to sell it you won't have such a loss in your dollar. And if money is tight you really need to get some training first. This will not only help you in determining what your training costs will be but will also help you decide if it is something you really want to pursue before you start sinking a lot of money into a machine.

buy the basics

buy the basics

My name is Tony-AJ and I use sycamore seed as my title because if you look at how the seed has a pod and a wing and uses rotary flight its Gods gift to us.Well I'm tight for cash too, but I'm buying a Monarch butterfly kit and they are sending it out to Brisbane It has the G force landing gear and I'll put that together while I'm saving up for the motor and blades,which I can buy here in Australia. I have a hang glider licence and have flown in several ultralight planes but nothing comes even close to a low level flight in a gyro copter.Greg Mitchell from Tasmania and Allan Wardill from Queensland are very informative and supportive of my endeavour to fly my own Gyro so now as I write to you I can share your passion for what I think is the best flying I've ever done.Mind you I've flown in a robinson 44 with my wife but at $180 for 10 min I know this is way beyond my reach, I,m taking lessons with Allan and hope to fly the club gyro glider soon and solo in the near future Cheers for now Tony-AJ.

Welcome to the Butterfly family Tony.

Welcome to the Butterfly family Tony.

You're in good hands with Mitch & Allan to mentor you through your build process & instruction. Sounds like you are well on the way with flying and we look foward to some progress reports & everyone LOVES build photos too.....
next time I'm down there in the area Allen said to look him up - might be able to bum a flight too :) .... who knows I may be in the area when there is a gathering of local gyronuts too!
Look foward to hearing more from you as your Monarch develops!
Cheers

Hey Chap !, I guess you answered your own question !

What's up ?

Chris,

Good to hear from you! Well it's been two years since I made that post. Time sure flies by when your having fun huh?

Got most of my training completed with Mr. Burgess and got my Solo sign off this spring. I didn't get much done after that due to an on the job injury at the end of May. I go for back surgery this coming Tuesday at 0730 hours so wish me luck.

My plans for this spring are to see Chris again for additional training and a Solo sign off then it's back to the airport. I'm just taking my time learning each step. I can say one thing though, I can balance on the mains with my eyes closed!!

Take care everyone an wish me luck!

Thechap

That sounds good ! Did you notice the spammer that pulled up this old thread ?

Unless we get some nice weather, I am probably gonna pull my blades for the winter.

I hope to get my y-pipe jet hot coated to complete the exhaust again.

Take it easy !

Congratulation dude for the fly and if you hared some more experience about the fly i will thankful to you...How much time did you in fly?I also have experience 2 times of flying helicopter which is good one for me and peacefully land the helicopter...