What should I build???

dpmulvan

I’ve got a bunch of plans I’ve been collecting over the years and I’m trying to decide what to build. What’s the best part 103 design? A modified benson, gyrobee, honeybee, hornet ?? Or should I build a single seat dominator? I would really like to keep it part 103 Though. I have Experience both flying and fabricating. Once my latest project is done I plan to start on the gyro. I just realized I have luminati aerospace just an hour away. They built that nano with two electric fans and have taken over production of dragon wings I do believe. Thought about taking a trip down there to see what options they have for blades.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
I’ve heard reall bad things about Luminati.
I’d steer clear. Just ask Ernie Boyette.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
I’ve got a bunch of plans I’ve been collecting over the years and I’m trying to decide what to build. What’s the best part 103 design? A modified benson, gyrobee, honeybee, hornet ?? Or should I build a single seat dominator? I would really like to keep it part 103 Though. I have Experience both flying and fabricating. Once my latest project is done I plan to start on the gyro. I just realized I have luminati aerospace just an hour away. They built that nano with two electric fans and have taken over production of dragon wings I do believe. Thought about taking a trip down there to see what options they have for blades.
You have a few design choices, but I wouldn't go anywhere near Illuminati. They reek of 'scam artist.'

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
Best way to turn a dollar into .50 is to give it to that dude. He hasn’t produced a single blade on his own and doesn’t legally have the right to produce Dragon Wings since he never fulfilled the terms of his contractual obligations. Last I checked not even Walmart let’s you only pay half of what you owe. Hopefully Karma will take care of him since he has made sure he is judgement proof.

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
I've been out of touch for a long time. What does Luminati do? I only saw one gyro and one helicopter on their web site, neither look commercial.
What did they buy from Ernie? If he says they are from the Dark Side, you can take it as gospel.

Jim

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
I've been out of touch for a long time. What does Luminati do? I only saw one gyro and one helicopter on their web site, neither look commercial.
What did they buy from Ernie? If he says they are from the Dark Side, you can take it as gospel.

Jim
They bought the tooling and rights to build Dragon Wings Blades. Dad and one of his guys went to New York set the equipment up and trained them how to use and even did a few production runs up there for the mosquito guys. Dad held up his end of the contract they did not. When confronted basically said sue me.

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
They bought the tooling and rights to build Dragon Wings Blades. Dad and one of his guys went to New York set the equipment up and trained them how to use and even did a few production runs up there for the mosquito guys. Dad held up his end of the contract they did not. When confronted basically said sue me.
Thanks Mike. That sucks. Your Dad is one of the good guys.

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
He is. Some don’t like his brutal honesty but you never have to guess what is on his mind. He has always put over all safety above ego or anyone’s feelings. He and Charlie Presnell taught me that. I have chewed the ass of many a man doing stupid shit as air boss and they took it because they knew they did wrong despite their own self importance. The gyro world will miss him.

rcflier

Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914 (upgraded MT-03)
Total Flight Time
65 as student - 2 as PIC
From what I've read over the years, Part103 weight is nearly impossible to achieve.
First, you should get some flight training - then decide what to do.

I wanted to build a Gyrobee, as it's a proven design.
And I collected everything needed except tail, stick and prerotator.
But then suddenly I found an MTO Sport on Facebook, of all places.... (in Denmark you have to own one or a part in one)

Best of luck in your endeavour - and be careful out there...

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
Aircraft
Dream-like
You've pretty much answered your own question in your first post: You want to stay w/in the FAA's Part 103 flight rules. Far easier to do so w/ airplanes, trikes & PPCs than gyroplanes, due to sufficient engine HP requirements needed to pneumatically power the rotor system through the air.

Doug Riley has commentated on gyros & 103 several times over the years. He knows what he is talking about, as he flew one of the earliest GyroBee examples w/ the Doc Watson tail, as well as he ran a gyro parts business catering to the "Bee" for several years.

1. A GyroBee (free plans built only) w/ the Rotax 447 engine can honestly fit the bill WRT weight, fuel capacity, max speeds, etc. Works adequately for lower elevation flying.

2. I've never heard of Hornet (also free plans built) nor HoneyBee (kit maker that also went out of business) of being able to do that. Paying customers for the HB that had trusted their hard-earned money were told "Sue Me").

(A bit over the 103 weight limitations, Denis Schoemaker (Gyro Techic) sells a first-class Hornet kit, but he doesn't claim it meets Part 103).

3. Ken Brock's KB-3 was supposed to also be an honest Part 103 compliant, even w/ a Rotax 582! Very lightweight air frame to be able to accomplish that. No plans, rotors, nor factory support available now since his unfortunate airplane accident @ El Mirage way back.

4. Bensen gyrocopter w/ the mighty MAC engine. Plans were/are available (PRA members have access to plans), but parts, those temperamental engines & easy-to-hand-start rotors haven't been available for decades, too. There are still a few hardy individuals that I know of that have had success in taming a MAC: Dave Bacon of SD,CA, & Gilbert Sheppard of OR/NV.

5. Mike Boyette has recently told us here of one true 103 Dominator that was built & flown. He related that it weighed less than him & that he didn't like how it flew. Some people confuse "Ultralight" w/ "Ultrawhite" Dominators. The difference was name of the "ultrawhite" paint used on them.

6. Lumminati didn't build the Nano true ultralight gyroplane from Poland w/ twin electric fans. That was as capable of flying as much as a picture on the internet. It was a mock-up to soak up customers money, not anywhere close to being a flying machine.

Danial Preston's M.O. is to promise the universe to all he contacts, while only delivering hot air. Broken promises litter his wake, from municipalities he convinces to allow him to develop their industrial property to other businesses he contracts w/ (ie: Dragon Wings & Ernie Boyette). Literally turning a buck into nothing quickly.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Be careful and make sure training is a priority.
Many think that because an ultralight doesn’t need licensing or registration…. They’re easy to fly…… NOT TRUE!!

I’ve flown several actual ultralight gyros……. ( and they are few and far between)…. Including the new Nano and I will say….. they are a bit harder to fly than a normal….heavier gyro.

Remember…. They are built to meet a weight specification…… not necessarily to fly well or be as safe as a heavier machine.

There are ultralight gyros out there and some are amazing pieces of engineering…… just make sure adequate training is a priority!!! Aren’t many “ do overs” in this sport!!

Fly safe!!
B

Aviator168-aircraft

Do you mind telling where they are in NY? Don't want to run into them ever.

Also. which part of the gyro structure sucks most of the weight. The 38hp Polini Thor 303 only weighs 20.5kg.

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
Aircraft
Dream-like
If anyone enjoys keeping up w/ all the broken promises & contracts Luminati Aerospace has "delivered", try wading through the muck:

My congratulations to the reporter, Denise Civilette, who assembled all the lies, broken promises & BS committed by Daniel Preston of Luminati Aerospace to the parties mentioned in the article. She earned every bit of her pay for doing so!

I'm sure what she revealed is just a small portion of his M.O.
"Purchasing" the Dragon Wings rotorblade business from RFD (Ernie Boyette) isn't even covered...

Last edited:

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count

Also. which part of the gyro structure sucks most of the weight. The 38hp Polini Thor 303 only weighs 20.5kg.
Doesn’t matter what the Polini weighs….. it’s barely enough to fly you and it sure won’t last long!! 😂🤣

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+

Honestly I don’t know I wasn’t involved when Dad did all of that ask for the Gyro you’re speaking of I don’t know enough about it to know what is the major weak contributor. Sorry I can’t be of more help