What is the knowledge base on flying Benson/Brock style gyros safely?

GyroPro

SoCal Flyer
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex N739B
Total Flight Time
I am curious on what are the safest Benson/Brock models out there and what modifications have been made over the years to fly them with least chance of hazard.

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Many will do a drop keel mod which is basically just two cheek plate and a new nose wheel. I also like the tall tail. Not much cost at all to do these mods.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Some form of “T” tail. Ron Herron (LittleWing) sold plans at one time.

In its original form with 4’ prop, propeller thrust line/CG relationship was fine. Mike Gaspard’s Bensen with seat tank was within an inch or do of being correct as measured at Bensen Days several years ago.

Last edited:

MadMuz

Aircraft
Open Gyro, Grumman AA5, Cessna
Total Flight Time
More reliable and powerful engines, better props and light efficient rotors, like DW's.

The stepped keel for better thrustline and the tall tail....

Apart from that, I have to say, in my opinion, the worst thing with Bensons and Brocks is that beam axel..... get rid of that and you have already gained a heap of points (and lost some drag)

I would say the best Benson/Brock 'derivative' gyro, would have to be the Dominator:cool:

The knowledge base on safety? Easy, get good gyro instruction and forget anything you know about any other form of aviation.... open you mind to the fact gyros are nothing like anything else....

Try to prove otherwise will usually bite!

Last edited:

SandL

Aircraft
Bensen Merlin dragon wings Rotax 532
Total Flight Time
400hrs (4,000 instructional launches) gliding, 200 fixed wing, 100 gyro
a light weight pod prevent pilot frostbite and makes the gyro flyable longer in colder weather
I love my pod and hate it, yes, both extremes, love it on cold days so I can stay airborne longer, hate it when I have an engine problem as the engine takes longer to fix and so keeps me on the ground longer.
would like to have a tall tail ... but Uk modification legislation uggh !

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Like Chuck B. said above, most Bensen/Brock KB-2's will be close to CLT. I don't think a drop keel mod really adds anything to one using a direct drive Mac engine. I added a horizontal stab to my KB-2 and as far as safety mods I think that's about all that's needed.

Roundwing

Definitely a horizontal stab.

Here is mine.

I makes if very stable.

I would recommend getting plans from Ron Herron.

Rick

Attachments

• DSCN2871.jpg
    DSCN2871.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 5

phantom

a lot of my early gyros were like a bensen with the mast to keel angle changed so that the mast was at the correct angle with the front of the keel jacked up about 20 inches, this way I could swing a 66 inch prop and be close to CLT, in 1982 or 83 I changed to a bent keel and large props, with props over 72 inches a bent keel keeps the gear legs shorter.

Norm

okikuma

Rick,

I notice you mounted your horizontal stab with some negative (leading edge down) angle of incidence. How many degrees?

What is the total weight of your tube and rag empennage?

Thanks,

Wayne

Roundwing

Three degrees down.

I did not weight it before installation, but my guess would be 4 to 5 pounds at most.

Rick

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.
More reliable and powerful engines, better props and light efficient rotors, like DW's.

The stepped keel for better thrustline and the tall tail....

Apart from that, I have to say, in my opinion, the worst thing with Bensons and Brocks is that beam axel..... get rid of that and you have already gained a heap of points (and lost some drag)

I would say the best Benson/Brock 'derivative' gyro, would have to be the Dominator:cool:

The knowledge base on safety? Easy, get good gyro instruction and forget anything you know about any other form of aviation.... open you mind to the fact gyros are nothing like anything else....

Try to prove otherwise will usually bite!

I have to disagree Muz, there is so much in common, most of the principles of flight are the same.

Aussie Paul. :)

MadMuz

Aircraft
Open Gyro, Grumman AA5, Cessna
Total Flight Time
I disagree Paul, it is the little differences that bring flyers from other fields undone, as an example, to get a fw over a fast approaching tree line at the end of the runway, stick back (just over stall speed) will usually do the trick..... in the same predicament in a gyro, stick back is not the answer..... I say again, one has to learn proper gyro techniques, not fall back on fw stuff..... just my opinion.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Based on my experience which FW wise is reasonably broad, would go with Muz on this one Paul.

Putting the common environment and all the stuff that goes with it, and talking just about handling/flying the machine, I would say be prepared to read learn and study gyro techniques, do not assume it flies like a FW, because it is those little but serious differences that will kill.