What happens to the forum?

PTKay

Gold Member
Aircraft
Socata Rallye
I am here, on this forum since 10 years.
I frequent it daily.

I usually press the button "Today's Posts", to see what was going on
since lsat day.

Usually I was getting 2 pages, some 30-40 new entries per day.

Recently more and more often I get just one page, the number
of new entries dropped below 25.

Have you noticed the same?

Is the number of participants sinking, or are they just posting less?

What do you think?

Every now and then I scan the other forum to see if I can learn anything about rotorcraft. I find there are more rotorcraft related posts here in a couple of days than there are in month on the other forum.

We are hanging out at that other forum.

Here are the monthly stats on what once was "THE" trike site (similar trend):

The field of rotorcraft is transitioning from 1st generation to 2nd generation, and perhaps the interest in improvements, new ideas and products is moving with it.

Dave

Our community is relatively small to begin with. Then there's even a smaller group that visits the forum, and yet a smaller group that posts on the forum.

We have people here that feel compelled to attack some of the ones that do post, most of these attacks are uncalled for and unnecessary, this in turn will prevent some from posting, even if they really want to, because they do not want to become the victim of an attack. This also irritates some to the point of avoiding the forum all together.

There are those that have little to no knowledge of our sport but have read things here or on other places on the internet and somehow feel as though it makes them an expert (self proclaimed expert) that will post things that are inaccurate or false. This will drive some of the knowledgeable ones away as they don't want to become associated with giving out bad information.

And we also have the ones that just post for what seems to be no reason at all except to build their post counts so their postings hold no value at all to the forum and actually lean towards being annoying at best, this also gets some people where they don't feel as though they need to visit the forum because they don't care to have to pick through the useless posts to find value in the ones that are here.

In many ways we our worst enemy and then we wonder why people don't want to join us.

gyroplane culture change

gyroplane culture change

I can only speak of the UK
once there were innovators and a busy single seat community
to learn to fly was a day at the airfield, listening to opinions and experiences, looking at modifications and a range of home built machines.

Now with innovation stifled and factory produced £80,000 machines innovation is mostly restricted to instrumentation
training ... book your instruction slot sir 2pm -3pm ... next please
have a cup of coffee in the club house and go home to read up the next exercise.

A huge difference in culture.

Not sure how many home built machines are still flying in the UK... certainly not many, and even fewer single seat gyros ... probably less than 10 single seat gyros fly each month. There are now no kit manufacturers or suppliers in the UK. The last was Gary Layzell who seems to have disappeared into France. Gary supplied the Bensen Merlin and the AV18 cricket the only true, fully compliant, centreline thrust gyro ever to pass section T to the letter.

The BRA produces no magazine and the email news letter covers very, very little. first was an announcement of the AGM , the second was a note asking members to complain to the CAA about an increase in controlled airspace near Farnborough. ... nothing about gyros
membership is static over the past 10 years yet there are over 100 more gyro flying. only 3 kit built owners attended Bensen days, no factory built owner from the Uk attended. I suspect that none of the factory built guys would check the torque on a bolt, many would probably not change a spark plug.
I'm not saying it's good or bad I'm just saying there is a change.
Maybe the same is happening in other countries.
a few years ago Gyroplane sales in the UK was the fastest growing area of GA., I believe sales have tailed off some what now, but the total fleet remains at about 120 I believe.
maybe this sort of thing has something to do with reduced posts internationally

Excess regulation , Lack of world economy & other things to do that cost less and not kill you.

Change is not for the better.

We have people here that feel compelled to attack some of the ones that do post, most of these attacks are uncalled for and unnecessary, this in turn will prevent some from posting, even if they really want to, because they do not want to become the victim of an attack. This also irritates some to the point of avoiding the forum all together.

In many ways we our worst enemy and then we wonder why people don't want to join us.

^^This^^
I'm a relative newcomer here and to gyros in general and after reading the forums daily for a couple months I can state even though I have many questions I would NOT post them here.

It seems anything posted for sale or as a question the original poster is grilled or harassed un-mercilessly. Who wants or needs that?

I have a lot of questions and like talking to the guys in Wachula though and will continue to glean information that way.

Even when I do start building something, and I WILL start building something, I will in all probability not post it up for review here.

Jim

^^This^^
I'm a relative newcomer here and to gyros in general and after reading the forums daily for a couple months I can state even though I have many questions I would NOT post them here.

It seems anything posted for sale or as a question the original poster is grilled or harassed un-mercilessly. Who wants or needs that?

I have a lot of questions and like talking to the guys in Wachula though and will continue to glean information that way.

Even when I do start building something, and I WILL start building something, I will in all probability not post it up for review here.

Jim

Not all people here are bad, I'm just stating some of the comments I have heard from people that don't frequent here when I ask why they don't. Please don't let this discourage you though, there are many of us that would enjoy hearing from you and are willing to help in any way we can.

Actually, joining an active group, such as the morons, and spending your weekends with them, is probably the best way to go.

Jim- There isn't a more informative forum than this one for gyros, and I have also received tons of good helicopter information.

I have seen the dips in participation on here several times over the years. I think people need to see new projects and new people to keep the interest up.

I don't post videos and pictures like I used to as it is old rehashed news, and people get tired of seeing the same ol thing. I still am enthused as ever flying my Helicycle, but after posting well over 200 YouTube videos, there understandably just isn't much feed back anymore, and I only try to post something out of the ordinary.

Stan

Just look at the pics from Bensen days this year. There was ONE Bensen style pic I saw posted here. The rest were far out of my price range. Being "self taught" using the information from the Bensen manuals I still occasionally fly my plans built KB2 gyro glider because I built it. Sold my dominator rolling frame, blades and head. This forum left me and I left it for the most part when every one here jumped on the Red Baron for daring to post about his flying his gyro bee being self taught. Shame on you Red Baron for insinuating someone today can learn how to fly a gyro from anyone other that a "CFI". Just like the Politically Correct - now there is no room for you here if you do not conform unless you just like to be beat up.

I don't post any more questions coz I'm a knowall now.;)

And to those who say they are scared of posting questions coz your afraid of possible ridicual, eat cement.
This is aviation, and if your line of thinkn is off track, specialy to the point of be,n dangerous, you'll be corrected by people who give a sh1t bout your health.
These people don't care bout your feelns getn hurt, they care more bout your neck getn broke.
Cement can't fix a broken neck, but it dose harden your feels so you can handle the truth.

And in aviation, your opinions don't count.

Stan, never get tired of seeing new pics, always something different and different parts of the world!! Don, your thoughts the same as mine + changing to the next generation. We older ones have had a pretty good run and very interesting time to be in the flying community.
I have two sons and a daughter who are still interested in flying activities, oldest son has worked in flying activities for 20+ years but just so many things tearing at the next generation they just can't seem to persue it like we or I did. This is where I think Dons comments come in, just times a changin and I hate it. Just my thoughts.

I was first introduced to the PRA in 1994, I had attended a convention in Greencastle Ind. and I was struck mostly with the numbers of kits and homebuilts that were flying. It was like watching a bunch of bees in the air and the charactors that flew them were even more colorful. I'm sure that back then there were a few pilots there that were less than "legal" and although having qualified personel flying is a must to avoid possible incidents (I'm not so sure those crusty old timers couldn't teach these young know-it-alls a thing or two) it seemed more of an event based on camaraderie as opposed to one-up-manship. I believe the advent of the high-tech mass produced gyros are a boon to the sport and having some very good minds developing new technology and thus producing much needed product reliability, I can't help but look back and miss seeing all those single place, wind in your hair, bugs in your teeth, minimum guage (if any), seat of the pants, hell bent for leather, banhee screaming bunch of gyroCOPTER renegades instead of these yuppy manufacture techno types extolling the virtues all the various and sundry, and mostly very expensive and unneeded, crap that does nothing but scare away that poor guy who came to the convention to see what all the fuss was about and maybe, just maybe, get that spark ignighted to maybe even build a gyro himself. We need to woo these back with the dream that maybe, just maybe, he too, can build a kit...if he can find one...just sayin'.

Many insightful answers.
Another reason we are all out building or FLYING... it's flying time again.

I just wish they would share with pictures.... That would help.

This forum has helped me too many times to count with the correct INSTANCE information I need. Only a few questions have ever gone unanswered.

Typing SUCKS as a communication device thing get miss understood as a hostile comment when if you could see the body English especially the face it would tell you it's a harmless question they are asking phrased in a harsh way...

I do understand when people get there feeling hurt on here and see it too much... and have been told why others do not wish to enter at risk of asking a dum question. I feel the same way but I'm compelled to LEARN so much more than be thought a FOOL

Try just forgiving when it's hurts however I cannot without telling them what I think too. We are all entitled to our own opinion and just get over it, when folks don't agree and post away you'll learn so much more than be beat up on here!

Yes the drop in posts is noticeable, and Peter's description in the scene here in the UK is spot on.

This Forum is to my mind still one of the gyro worlds major assets in a place to come for advice and information. Yes you do have to carefully study what advice is offered and to be able to assess the information, but generally a majority opinion ensures that bad advice is corrected. It has some of the sports leading lights with regard to both theoretical and practical experience in all fields who are willing to give of their time and knowledge.

On the whole polite and sensible post are well received, yes there is contrasting opinion and sometimes lively, even rude debate but on the whole nothing that is too excessive. Occasionally the Mods do step in but not that often. If you have a thin skin by all means keep a low profile but that should not stop anyone learning from some of the great threads. Most questions I asked here were answered in a helpful manner and I have benefitted enormously from being on the Forum.

I enjoy talking to people from around the world, meeting people who have contributed here, and generally learning something new every day I visit. If through present circumstances I am not flying much in time that hopefully will pass, in the meantime the Forum despite it's present drop in activity that seems to have mirrored mine is still a great place to drop in and visit.

John and Leigh, I mirror both of your insightful comments. If you love gyros, this is the place to be.