What happened to this

photo not posting

photo not posting

I will make it samaller It is to big by 2 bites

Attachments

• jump head em.JPG
    jump head em.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 1
It was still sitting on a shelf in one of the hangars at Farringtons when I was there about 2 years ago. John Potter showed it to me, but it didn't look like anything was going to be done with it soon. Maybe someone can talk him out of it or borrow it and see how it works. He showed me the movements and the blade-bars seemed to easily change pitch. I'm not sure, but I believe it was all mechanical rather than electrical. I wonder how much more one would get on prerotation with the blades flattened?

pre rotate

pre rotate

That is what I would like to see not to do jumps but maga short take offs. It looks like it could be made to fit any gyro. I tried to call but all I have is the old number
Brent

If someone comes up with a good two-place gyro with jump takeoff capability, will there be any reason whatsoever to buy a small helicopter ever again? Nobody buys a Robinson R22 for sling work or mountain rescue, or anything that really requires hovering, do they?

Stay tuned to Rotor Flight Dynamics home of the Dominator gyroplanes and Dragon Wing rotorblades, They got a gyro that will knock your socks off in devolpment right now.

The Hawk IV does a jump take off. It,s not the kind of gyro we're talking about here. But Groen Brothers Aviation does hold the patent for collective pitch control for gyroplanes and someday it surely could be used on other gyros.

I heard that all of Farrington's designs and stuff were auctioned off, including the Air and Space 18A type certificate.

Jump gyros are hardly new... some Pitcairns could. There was another certified gyro in the sixties in Canada that could jump, but never took off financially. A guy in the US owns the rights and prototype but has no traction I'm aware of.

cheers

-=K=-

Kevin, unless that auction took place within the last year and a half, it's not true. I was down there last winter, took a ride with John Potter and saw all the drawings, jigs and spare parts stored in 2 huge hangars. There was tons of stuff. The design rights couldn't have been auctioned off if all the certificates and drawings were still there. I saw them. I also saw a couple of sets of blades and ships under construction, although the ships I saw may have been being rebuilt.

I'll be a monkey's uncle

I'll be a monkey's uncle

Ken,

thanks for the update. Is John Potter trying to continue the business then? How the dickens does one contact him/them?

BTW, the Canadian jump gyro the name of which I can't recall is the Pegasus...

http://pegasusrotorcraft.com/index.html

...complete with ducted fan. Where's André Martin, he's a fan of fans...? Alas for him, the project is no longer in Canada; it appears to be a semi-moribund Nevada corporation now.

cheers

-=K=-

Avian is the former name of the Pegasus.
The price of a Pegasus would be much more than the one of a R22 without the hovering capability (may be the one of a R44)... with no instruction facility, no mecanic people certified on this certified aircraft...a plague...

I would take the pegasus over a R22 anyday. This thing is where we should be at it is a AC motor lots of A7Ps know all about this motor and the rotor head is off a certifed helo nothing new just needs to be made by the thounsands to get it right.

same problem as the AIR AND SPACE HA18!...price!...and maintenance availability!...but great aircraft!...

Dominator developments?

Dominator developments?

GyroRon said:
Stay tuned to Rotor Flight Dynamics home of the Dominator gyroplanes and Dragon Wing rotorblades, They got a gyro that will knock your socks off in devolpment right now.

Oh Great Poster;

Can you give us some tidbits of information to let us know what you're specifically talking about?

I'm glad to see the Avian gyroplane is still alive! I watched it being developed in Georgetown, Ontario in the late 50's, early 60's. I have some videos and photos both my own and promos from the Avian company at the time. Boy, could that machine ever perform with collective pitch control (they had 30 lbs. of lead in the blade tips, or was it a hundred?). About 80 hp went to the pre-rotator for jump TO, but with all that rotor inertia it could also hover on a flare landing for seconds at a time or even TO again without landing. WOW!!
LeftRear.jpg

Keep 'em whirlin', eh!!?!

Hello all ;

The hubbar with variable pitch shown in the first picture of this thread is with me here.

Secondly, the Avian gyroplane as mentioned further on, was testflown in the early 90's by the legendary Don Farrington. I remember his verdict when he came back : not much like an 18-A. Some of its looks are similar, but that is where all similarity ends. I think he also mentioned too much weight, not sufficient jump take-off performance, too restricted payload (something he wanted to have improved on the 18-A as well).

My two pennies.......

Woody

Kevin_Richey said:
Oh Great Poster;

Can you give us some tidbits of information to let us know what you're specifically talking about?
Hey Kevin,
It's called a LifIno and it was unvailed at Bensen Days 2005 and should be operational by BDs 2006.

Attachments

• Ernies Line2.JPG
    Ernies Line2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Woody, did you get it from John Potter in Kentucky? That's where I saw it a few years ago. John showed me how it works.