What generation hub bar is this?

Gyrob

All,
I have recently purchase a model year 2000 RAF 2000 kit and going through all the parts.
Can anyone tell me what generation this hub bar is? Was this their most recent?

Thank You
JamesIMG_0318 (2).jpgIMG_0319 (2).jpg

Greg Vos

Aircraft
R44/22 H269/300 MD 500 Magni (all); Xenon RST; DTA; ELA; MTO
Total Flight Time
2480 odd (1300 gyro hours & counting)
IIRC this is the controversial hub bar that has failed in the past?

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
200ish
it is obvious that the flexibility of this bar is say ... very little

Greg Vos

Aircraft
R44/22 H269/300 MD 500 Magni (all); Xenon RST; DTA; ELA; MTO
Total Flight Time
2480 odd (1300 gyro hours & counting)
it is obvious that the flexibility of this bar is say ... very little
This hub bar design breaks lose at the bolt on the blade grip, loads of info about it on this forum...I doubt it had anything to do with flexibility?. Calling Kolibri for the tech on this one

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
200ish
it could... if the hub bar flexes the blades flexes less and there is less effort at he foot of the blades

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
All,
I have recently purchase a model year 2000 RAF 2000 kit and going through all the parts.
Can anyone tell me what generation this hub bar is? Was this their most recent?

Thank You
JamesView attachment 1146101View attachment 1146102
Your hub bar appears to me to be first generation. I have very little experience with RAFs so take my opinion for what it is worth.

If you go through the safety notices from RAF they will give you a better idea.

In my opinion based on my limited recollection of the safety notices your blades are aged out so you will need to get a new rotor system anyway. My recollection is a ten year time limit.

I had a first generation hub bar and RAF blades on The Predator and I found cracks in the trailing edge when they had less than 200 hours on them but were more than ten years old.

In my opinion you will need training specific to RAF and learning to fly another gyroplane will not be sufficient for the transition to an RAF 2000.

I recommend Duane Hunne in Texas.

If you use the factory gross weight of 1540 pounds you will need a Private Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane certificate as that is too heavy to qualify to be flown by a Light Sport Pilot.

If you are the original builder you may list the maximum takeoff weight as 1,320 pounds and be legally flown by a Light Sport Gyroplane pilot.

Current operating limitations prohibit flying an experimental gyroplane without a gyroplane rating.

Last edited:

Gyrob

Thanks all for your feedback. I was hoping that being a later model year it would be current version. I'm hearing doubts in that, so I will do some research.
Thank again,
James