What about an open source project for a G impact self leveling landing gear?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Airgyro AG915 Centurian, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Gyroplane 70Hrs, not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
They want more projects. Which I'm running out of.
What about a landing gear similar to the butterfly but with G impact sensing shock bleed rate adjusting self-leveling landing gear?

What about a jump take-off rotorhead (automatically adjusts from flat pitch-to-jump pitch-to-flight pitch) to go with your big electric motor(s) pre-spinner?
Brian

Something I am personally interested in seeing developed is a thin-ish, inflatable seat cushion that releases air via a check valve after a certain pressure to decelerate the spine upon a hard vertical impact. Larry Neal's G-force gear does this but with a weight penalty and mechanical complexity. I've read here that some pilots never even engage this system in normal flight operations. I started to experiment with a pneumatic cushion system but decided not to take on yet another project with so much left to do on my build. Besides various foams and padding, I haven't seen much in the way of addressing this pilot safety issue.

That's what I'm talking about Brian. That would be a great addition to the anti-tip over self-leveling landing gear.
Only with seat belts on you would have to have it inflated all the time? With seatbelts on and try and raise the seat, 2 inches or more is going to cut 2 inches into your legs and belly?
Maybe filled air shocks under the seat?
This is a good idea!!!

What about a jump take-off rotorhead (automatically adjusts from flat pitch-to-jump pitch-to-flight pitch) to go with your big electric motor(s) pre-spinner?
Brian
The A&S 18A does that automatic action with pitch-cone coupling (delta-3), so there are no sensors in the system, just a launch button. I'd be curious to see what other approaches might be devised.

The A&S 18A does that automatic action with pitch-cone coupling (delta-3), so there are no sensors in the system, just a launch button. I'd be curious to see what other approaches might be devised.
Jon, I wish I knew the system. You're over my head with your description pitch-cone coupling (delta-3). I believe I can launch anytime after 600 RRPMs but how does it know when to transition into forwarding flight. When the rotors lose energy down to say 350 RRPMs no matter what altitude?
It would be helpful if I could see the current system, understand it and then explain it to the students. My thinking was launch at 600 and fly at 350 RRPMs using sensors. I'm open to all solutions.

In the simplest terms, it means that one of the hinges is angled so that as the blade cones upward (which it will at the top of the jump as the rotor slows) it will also reduce the pitch from jump mode to cruise mode. Stick your right arm out straight with your thumb pointing up slightly. Now lift your arm up (still keeping it straight) and as your hand goes up you thumb points up less. That's the action.

They want more projects. Which I'm running out of.
What about a landing gear similar to the butterfly but with G impact sensing shock bleed rate adjusting self-leveling landing gear?
G force type landing gear that has an anti-sway bar. and can be retracted for less drag.

In the simplest terms, it means that one of the hinges is angled so that as the blade cones upward (which it will at the top of the jump as the rotor slows) it will also reduce the pitch from jump mode to cruise mode. Stick your right arm out straight with your thumb pointing up slightly. Now lift your arm up (still keeping it straight) and as your hand goes up your thumb points up less. That's the action.
Hi Jon, I asked Dick and he explained the conning and the Delta-3 and with your added explanation now I do understand that now. However, I still having trouble visualizing the system but now I think with your thumb description I may have a clue. Or assuming never-never-land?

It might be very valuable for me to bring the students up for a field trip and let them and me inspect the actual systems?
Do you think that might be possible with your limited time and health issues from being run over?

G force type landing gear that has an anti-sway bar. and can be retracted for less drag.
That is what I was thinking. Good one!
The danger in doing a jump take-off is in the first 100 feet and the power to the rotor blades quits.
I believe that the G-Force landing gear would work in this case as the blade RRPM will be 100 RRPM over blade flying speed and you can add collective and add power to the blades if you dive to the deck.
However, the major downside to G-Force is they are too HEAVY and except for jump takeoff and spot landing contests they are not needed very often in our emergency landings the results are about the same.

So my thinking is using a similar design but with pneumatic seals that blow out and bleed down but with a sensor that keeps it level no matter what.
You would only replace the seal mechanism. I'll let the brainiacs see what modern ideas they may have for a lightweight intelligence self-leveling landing gear???

Hi Jon, I asked Dick and he explained the conning and the Delta-3 and with your added explanation now I do understand that now. However, I still having trouble visualizing the system but now I think with your thumb description I may have a clue. Or assuming never-never-land?

It might be very valuable for me to bring the students up for a field trip and let them and me inspect the actual systems?
Do you think that might be possible with your limited time and health issues from being run over?
I am spending most of my time in Colorado now and the gyros remain at E16, but you can probably arrange access with JP Harrison (who incidentally is the author of the NASA paper cited above.