What a day!!!!!!!!!!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Airgyro AG915 Centurian, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Gyroplane 70Hrs, not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
What a great day of flying!
Dave Bacon called me yesterday and said he was going to drive up and fly his Benson Mac at El Mirage Dry Lakebed and asked if I wanted to go. I said yes but lets fly there.
He was all for that so… Today I flew from KSEE El Cajon to Oceanside KOKB and picked up Dave.

Then we flew from KOBB to KHMT Hemet and had lunch with Tina and her boyfriend.
Next we drove Tina’s golf cart over to a hanger and checked out a RAF with a Subaru, a Mini 500 with reported to have a Continental although I could not see because it was covered with a tarp, and a Rotorway with a turbine in it all for sale. They are all in different states of being built and the owner has pasted away.
We went there to get the contact number for these 3 birds so we could post then for you guys and I will in another thread.

Then Dave took Tina’s Sportcoper up for a spin while we all watched to check it out for her and run it for awhile.

Next we were off to El Mirage dry lake bed and I love landing off airport, not sure why but always enjoy it and that lake is just like landing on asphalt! We flew over Marion’s and circled and landed.

Then Dave got his Mac Benson out and took off and flew over Marion’s house again and then he was off while I sat in the shade under the wing. I guess who showed up…
Marion it was so cool to have her all to myself, she taught me so much with all the experience she has!

I discovered she is so talented with many interest and one you folks should check out is her Authentic American Indian Dolls!

Check out her website guys and gals. http://www.authameriindiandolls.com/dolls.html

And her gyro website http://www.msgyro.com

I learned so much!

Thank you Marion!

Too soon it was time to go. We needed fuel so we took off from the lake and flew over to Banning KNBG and filled up with 100LL at $4.53!! What a deal with it was closer to home.
I called Banning first to make sure they would be open as there was no self server listed in the flight guide and No we were not going to make it in time. But Arnold the Attendant at Banning said he would stay open and wait for us. Folks always seem to be so kind and giving to me all over the world, just shows most folks are really good people.

We took off from banning and flew Dave back to Oceanside KOKB and dropped him at his car and then flew back to KSEE just in time to see the beacon come on so I also logged another night landing.

What a great day as I enjoy flying into new airport and locations all of these were NEW airport or off airports locations.

Dave and I agreed this is going to be a regular event from now on!!

Sorry for the cell phone pictures…but I spent 35 years traveling with my family and friends with the adventure cropped from behind one of 2 camera I carried everywhere and often only my shadow is proof I was there at all. I have to get over this aversion I have developed to carrying a camera and cropping my view of the adventure because I love all the photos and videos you guys post.

Attachments

• 0416011144.jpg
    0416011144.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011144a.jpg
    0416011144a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011144b.jpg
    0416011144b.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011143.jpg
    0416011143.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011351.jpg
    0416011351.jpg
  • 0416011157.jpg
    0416011157.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011145a.jpg
    0416011145a.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011145.jpg
    0416011145.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here are the rest that I have:

The last picture is of a hot rod that was also filling up alone with his buddy with the exact same plane only painted differently.

Attachments

• 0416011351.jpg
    0416011351.jpg
  • 0416011352.jpg
    0416011352.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011430.jpg
    0416011430.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011558.jpg
    0416011558.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0416011728.jpg
    0416011728.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I am not an expert, But I would say from the pic it looks like a Sparrow Hawk! Sounds like you had alot of fun! Thanks for the story.
Brad
Thank you Brad...

I would not know as I'm trying to get out of a cabin and out in the open air so I've really only glanced at the others.

I'll change it to a Sparrow Hawk, I've heard they are even better...

What a day!!!!!!!!!!
Yeh, i hada day like this tday too.
8 hours and didnt enjoy a second of it. :(
Never mind, still got 8 drums of fuel in the shed, just hopen theyll submit before i run out.

John- Way to have fun and thasnksd for sharing with pictures. Stan

John,

You never mentioned what you flew? What kind of plane do you own? Do you take many x-countries? I'd love to hear more about it.

Awesome day John :) Now you and Dave are dangerous together unless Stan and I can supervise you two! We missed ya both at BD! Thanks for the pics. BTW that's a nice looking SC Tina has there!

John...

John...

I knew you were going at the last minuet....You KNOW I woulda shut down or had my son run the shop for a day! Boo Hoo Hoo, now I guess I really "Gots Nuthin"

I'm jealous as hell, but glad you guys had a great time.

You know Millionaire just opened up a nice new FBO here at Yuma, It's supposed to be sweet....

Fly safe buddy
Ben S

Sitting on the ground in the shade of a wing...a low wing at that..

Sitting on the ground in the shade of a wing...a low wing at that..

Yesterday when I came back from our rural mail box about a mile from home Linda said there had been an airplane circling our place. A minute or so later we heard the familiar sound of a Mac powered gyro headed our way. That's gotta be Dave Bacon, I said, and so it was.

He did his usual fly-by ( most would call it " buzz job" ), but whatever it's called, it's Dave's signature call when he is up this way.
He circled us a few times and waved and pointed and pointed and pointed toward the dry lake.

The message was clear, " come on down". So I did. He was still flying around when I arrived but John ( All In ) was sitting under the wing of his airplane waiting. I joined him and we had a very pleasant time just sitting on the ground in the shade of the wing and shooting the breeze. Dave finally needed to refuel so he landed and joined us there under the wing for more hangar flying.

Doesn't take much to make two gyro pilots and one "gonna be " gyro pilot happy. Just a little shade on a warm day and time to sit and talk gyros and of course watching Dave fly his gyro was good too.

I'll join you in the air next time you're up this way Dave.
Marion

What a day!!!!!!!!!!
8 hours and didnt enjoy a second of it. :(
Hi David, well that is just not Birdy like at ALL! That just not right!!!!

...and I was just thinking it was about time for another Birdy video???? :party:

@Stan
Yaw Mon, my pleasure… I don’t post any of my FW flying as I know you guys are into rotorcraft soooooo much more … me to!!!
But now we be fly’n to El Mirage every chance we get to fly rotorcraft, next time Jeff Jones is going to go with us and maybe BEN too. It's a party!

Hi Tom
Oops, I’ve mentioned my brother got a Piper Cherokee 180 as a gift/ repayment of a labor bill to a charity (he expected nothing but a tax deduction (he could not use) for the 3 or 4 months $120,000. labor bill.) It was a great surprise to us but they were so grateful as they had three others before him try and fix just the pressurization system in this P-Najvo and fail.

We call her patches but he has made her airworthy and the engine is strong.
She will easily carry four 225 lbs passengers and full fuel and burns 7 to 8 GPH so it was cheaper to fly to El Mirage than for Dave to drive his truck!
My brother and I look for excuses to fly everywhere we can and all over Mexico we have access to a 10 place Navjo, Cessna P210, Cessna 210, Cherokee 6, Aztec, the Cherokee 180, and Cessna 150 that is stripped and waiting paint…

@Gabor
Hi buddy, I know it sucked for the first time in years WORK got in the way and I missed all my friends for the first time.
As to you and Stan supervising… ARE YOU KIDDINGS? With the four of us together everyone is going to jail…except for Stan he’ll instigate it all but they will just let him go. What is up with that!!!

@Ben
Ya Dave told me… Sorry about that. Next time to get in on the fun just say the word. Jeff Jones just called me and he is IN!!!!

@Marion
Thank you again for your time. I know you were supposed to be making a custom doll for a customer. Your advice is going to make my balancing on the mains and crow hops much safer knowing the procedure for handling gusts of wind.

@Kai
Hi buddy!!!!
How could it get any better?
Flying picking up friends and in and out of several new airports, off airport, lunch with friends, cheap fuel, learning from a legend, observing gyros flying. The only downer was learning Rob crashed his Helicycle but was NOT hurt. I’ve told Stan what I know but do not feel it is my place to post the details on the forum.

PS:
Oh, and Dave picked up a $1,000.00 concrete job from the owner of the hot-rod in last photo too, it was a good day...

Last edited:
It was a great day!!!!!!! Can't wait to do that again, how bout tommorow John? LOL

Having problems with the pics, will post latter

John, delighted to join you, if only virtually, on your day out, and yes sounds as though it certainly was a good day.

Thing is, John, you were having fun. Birdy was working his tail off. Sounds as though his moos were not being very co-operative either.

It was great to see you again John, its has been some time, I'm glad you stopped at Hemet on your way to El Mirage.

Thanks Dave for flying my gyro for me, it always makes me feel safer after you check my machine out and give me the thumps up.

We will have to do this again! John next time you fly to El Mirage maybe Deron and I can follow you down there and fly formation.

Here is some pictures I took of the day.

Attachments

• downsized_0416111049b.jpg
    downsized_0416111049b.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 0
  • downsized_0416111049.jpg
    downsized_0416111049.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
  • downsized_0416111048.jpg
    downsized_0416111048.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • downsized_0416111225.jpg
    downsized_0416111225.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
@Dave
I can go tomorrow...

@Leigh
Always glad to have you along buddy!!!!

@Tina
It has been a long time and you just keep getting more beautiful.
Thank you for the hospitality!!!

We hired top-gun pilots that would often form up on me and we would fly flights of two or three all of the time so lets do that it is fun.

I'll form up on you and if there is any turbulence I'll break away and you stay where you are. It will be a blast.

We are planning to fly up next weekend. Lets do it!!!!

PM me and we will make plans....

Thanks for posting the pictures!!!

See Yaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
What!?!

What!?!

Your going again next weekend? Your killing me!!!!
Ben S

Ben come on down!! You are always invited!!!!

John, im convinced theres a link there sumwhere.
Nearly very time theres sumthn worth putn on vid, theres no vid camera. :(
But, it woulda gotn kinda boreing to watch after 8 hours. ;)

Its like, they know..........

If yesterday is any indication, we are in for a ruf year.

Ho, BTW, we got um tday. :)