Well I did it I bought a gyroplane

FRANK'S

Super Supporter
Aircraft
1975 Bensen B8-M A65 Continental
Total Flight Time
I did it I bought one I just need to go pick it up in a few weeks it's not a
Magni Gyro but it will do just fine for my first Gyro.

I will need to do a lot a lot of work to this thing to make it airwordy but I'm up for the challenge. { I hope LOL }

it has not flown in over 6 years but the frame looks mint I even look inside the frame for corrosion and did not find any.

I will be ordering a 22gal 80 liter tank seat
and a different better rear stabilizer.

I have many engine in mind for it like 5 but I have a lot of time to make my decision about the engine.

I call it the hotrod Gyro but maybe after it's mine it will be my dragon.

Tell me what you think and if you have ideas or things I must do to it post this is a place to talk.

attachment.php

I don't know why you would want to change the engine Frank.

If you decide you need more power it is easy to get 85 horsepower and perhaps even 100 horsepower without hurting the reliability.

Putting your new larger horizontal stabilizer much further back will help a lot.

Congradulations.

SWilliams

Congrats Frank!

The only thing that startles me about your plan is the additional fuel capacity. That's 130+ pounds, or 60 kg, quite a bit to carry on a single place. With a four-stroke aircraft engine you should already have as much endurance as comfort will allow.

But hey, it's an adventure! Calculate weight and balance carefully, hang test when you're done, and a more powerful tail will be a good addition. Have fun!

Congratulations Frank!!!

I thought 12 gallons was the largest seat tank. A 22 gallon one must look like a Lazy boy recliner. Congratulations.

Congratulations! +1 on a horizontal stabelizer.

Frank, does this engine have a fuel pump? If not, you'll need to keep the fuel high enough for gravity feed. That's what the builder seems to have done with that airfoil-shaped tank up on the mast. A typical seat tank will not provide reliable gravity feed once the fuel in the seatback portion of the tank has been used up.

Gravity feed is a mixed bag. It's reliable, and it places the fuel weight above the prop thrustline (a good thing).

The downside is serious, though. In a hard enough landing, the tank will split open and dump fuel onto the hot engine. We've had a few cases of serious or fatal burns in such cases. "Hard landing" is a relative term, but certainly a rigid-axle machine such as this one can slam hard if you flare a bit too high.

The original, stock Bensen gyros, with the fuel tank low and off to the side, almost never had fires, no matter how bad the landing/crash.

without hurting the reliability.

That's a double entendre...

Seriously Frank, congrats, always great to get your first gyro! What kind of blades does it have? Can I ask what level of training you have in gyros?

Congrats ! Be sure to hang test it when done.

I think that finding an engine as reliable as the 65 cont would be pretty hard to find.

Best regards,

One of the best experts on gyroplane stability in this forum (Raghu) stated that the rotor contributes the better part. My own idea is that the stock Bensen (wooden) blades with their low torsional rigidity and their offset counterweights have a dynamic behaviour that enhances the effect and increases stability. Unfortunately I have not been able to calculate the effect on the "back of an envelope", some heavy iron (a numerical multi physics model) would be needed to show if my idea is valid. However before changing anything it might be helpful to fly the aircraft in the current configuration with Bensen blades (or the ones that have been used before). Also it must be said that a hang test does not give any idea about how the dynamic stability of the aircraft changes by moving the center of gravity very much lower. Just my two cents.

PS: the aircraft looks really cool, as if she'd know her purpose!

Last edited:
22gallon seat tank?? Why?? There's no way you're gonna want to sit in that for that type of endurance. Not a good idea to modify too much till you learn to fly it and put some hours on it.

+1 wot ultracruiser said....

just make it safe to fly and fly it...

Worry about changing other stuff once you have done a fair few hours in it.

If you start changing things before you start flying it, it will prolly take a long, long time to get it flying. It flies now (or it did fly) like it is now... so enjoy it, I reckon

I wouldnt be changing a thing to begin with... it is way cool:whoo:

I don't know why you would want to change the engine Frank.

If you decide you need more power it is easy to get 85 horsepower and perhaps even 100 horsepower without hurting the reliability.

Putting your new larger horizontal stabilizer much further back will help a lot.

I'M building a 55HP 75 lbs torque Kubota Turbo Diesel.
Reliable and cheap on fuel.

Congrats Frank!

The only thing that startles me about your plan is the additional fuel capacity. That's 130+ pounds, or 60 kg, quite a bit to carry on a single place. With a four-stroke aircraft engine you should already have as much endurance as comfort will allow.

But hey, it's an adventure! Calculate weight and balance carefully, hang test when you're done, and a more powerful tail will be a good addition. Have fun!

I don't have to fill it every time I go out. I want the fuel capacity for long trips
and maybe your right a smaller one would be best. or keep the one there.

I thought 12 gallons was the largest seat tank. A 22 gallon one must look like a Lazy boy recliner. Congratulations.

Yes it does look like a lazy boy I saw it on this forum a few weeks months ago.

Frank, does this engine have a fuel pump? If not, you'll need to keep the fuel high enough for gravity feed. That's what the builder seems to have done with that airfoil-shaped tank up on the mast. A typical seat tank will not provide reliable gravity feed once the fuel in the seatback portion of the tank has been used up.

Gravity feed is a mixed bag. It's reliable, and it places the fuel weight above the prop thrustline (a good thing).

The downside is serious, though. In a hard enough landing, the tank will split open and dump fuel onto the hot engine. We've had a few cases of serious or fatal burns in such cases. "Hard landing" is a relative term, but certainly a rigid-axle machine such as this one can slam hard if you flare a bit too high.

The original, stock Bensen gyros, with the fuel tank low and off to the side, almost never had fires, no matter how bad the landing/crash.

Thanks for the warning. got more ? maybe I will keep it has is. tune up and fly.