Welcome Mat

I have been told that there are some gyro guys that fly out of the centralia, Il. airport? I live in Iuka, Il. I would like to get in touch with them. Thanks, Jeff.

Just became a member and enjoying all the comments. I'm getting a AR1 Gyro the last of this month from Abid at Silverlight in Zephyrhills. Have any of you had any experience with the 100 HP 912IS rotax engine. I would be interested in performance and maintenance comments. I took the two day course at Lockwood for light maintenance.

The 912iS is pretty new, so not too many of us will have actual experience with it, yet. Since you took the course at Lockwood, you'll know that you will get rather better fuel economy, at the expense of a significant increase in electronic/ignition complexity. The whole "redundant ignition" scheme is a bit worrisome to me.

I agree but i don't like carbs. Have had several outboard motors with carbs lots of problems. Bought a mercury 60 hp big foot with EFI 2006 model haven't had a bit of trouble. I know we may be mixes apples and oranges but I'll take A chance and hope for the best. Must be something to EFI . Can't buy a new car with a carb. I realize cars with EFI have been made much longer than the 912IS. Thanks for taking time to respond.

I won't go into the (significant) differences here between car engines and aircraft engines as I'm sure Dean already covered that with you down at Lockwood, but the biggest reasons cars don't have carbs any more is emissions and mileage standards.

I won't go into the (significant) differences here between car engines and aircraft engines as I'm sure Dean already covered that with you down at Lockwood, but the biggest reasons cars don't have carbs any more is emissions and mileage standards.
Sounds like that would be a good reason for aircraft engines to to have EFI. Not arguing just making an observation. Some people say rotax may be on the way to phasing out the carbs in favor of the EFI and ECU. Maybe who knows.

If aircraft emissions were a major consideration, we'd all just stop using leaded fuel, for starters. If fuel economy is very important to you, you'll certainly do better flying an airplane.
Rotax hasn't even phased out two-stroke engines. I don't see them phasing out carbs any time soon.

Last edited:
If aircraft emissions were a major consideration, we'd all just stop using leaded fuel, for starters. If fuel economy is very important to you, you'll certainly do better flying an airplane.
Rotor hasn't even phased out two-stroke engines. I don't see them phasing out carbs any time soon.
I agree . Rotax probably has to much invested. That would be an expensive move.

Hi Guys, here are a the pictures I have of the Bandit Gyroplane as it sits in storage at our hanger. The other feature this model has is a folding main mast. The horizonal stabilizer appears large as compared to many of the others I'm seeing on gyros today?
The goal here is to hopefully be able to gather enough information on this gyro to move forward and learn how to fly it or not? The pros and cons are; at this point are we own this machine. The cons, being as this design is not well known, and has a high thrust line, should I continue with no pilot input not really knowing. My thoughts are going to all four points of the compass right now...like why isn't this model or design being made anymore? Was it not successful for good reason? Or a simple failed business venture? Any thoughts on that would be appreicated.
Thanks, Captmac
I would absolutely love to get my hands on some plans for that airframe. I have a bunch of 4130 tubing and a Yamaha 140hp engine that needs to power one of those beauties.

Hello all. I am a new member located in southern Virginia. I sold my Piper Tri-Pacer and just bought an Air Command with a 503 Rotax motor. I've been reading many of the technical threads in an attempt to get smart about gyros.

Welcome Skipinva,
Come on down for a visit. We’re located in Wadesboro, NC at the Anson County Airport.
We’re the Carolina Barnstormers and hangar over 12 different types of gyros in our hangars.
Would love to have you over to answer any questions and get you some rides. Probably a free lunch too!!
We’re out most weekends and a bit during the week too. You’re welcome anytime!!

Barry

Hello, Jeffry Moore is my name and I live in Playa Blanca, Panama. I am a new Magni dealer for Panama and Colombia. See magnicopa.com There are many, many islands with short runways and grass strips in Panama in both the Pacific and the Caribbean so gyros are perfect for this country. I also do humanitarian work in both Colombia and Panama. See mayacopa.org I have a private gyroplane rating in addition to airplane ratings. English website: womenhereandnow.org

Last edited:
Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Jeffery.

I would love to read stories and see pictures of your flying adventures in such a different environment that I fly in.

What sort of pilot certificate is required in Panama?

How will your clients learn to fly their new Magni?

To bad the web site isn't in english.

Hello Vance, I will eventually get my instructor's rating but in the meantime I will have Magni instructors come from the U.S. I have been told that a letter from an instructor is sufficient to fly an ultralight in Panama. I will see to it that all my customers have proper instruction. Flying my Cessna 182RG videos:

Attachments

• Canal Albrook.jpg
    Canal Albrook.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 4
  • Caribbean Guna Yala.jpg
    Caribbean Guna Yala.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 3
Looks very exciting Jeffery.
I am glad you understand the value of training.
I look forward to your gyroplane stories.

Rodney Whipple - Arapahoe, Nebraska - Newbie

Hello everyone I am a new member and I really appreciate all the freely shared knowledge available on this site. I have really enjoyed reading the passion in each of your comments, stories and even have felt like I was riding along with several of you. I have been fascinated with gyroplanes for quite some time now. Long enough to have raised 2 children and a 3rd with only a couple years until graduation. So far this has just been a dream of mine. My experience with gyroplanes has been limited to countless hours of internet research and flying a couple gyroplanes on X-Plane. :) I have made a commitment to myself that 2020 is going to be the year that I attend a couple events, actually see a gyroplane and hopefully sign up for a ride if possible. Once again thanks for such a great forum.

Rodney

Hello Vance, I will eventually get my instructor's rating but in the meantime I will have Magni instructors come from the U.S. I have been told that a letter from an instructor is sufficient to fly an ultralight in Panama.
Are Magnis considered ultralights in Panama??

Returning Member,
I first joined Rotary Forum in 2004 and posted under Mike Nelson for a few years, then got super busy and did not post for many years. So, I'm now retired and have re-joined under HeliSwede and hope to be an active participant. I first got my Private Fixed Wing Rating just after high school, my Commercial Helicopter when I purchased a Hughes 300C and then added my Commercial Gyroplane Rating. I've owned (3) AirCommand Gyros, a McCulloch J2 N4364G (twice) and a AG Calidus N501AG plus I have logged hours in A&S18A, RAF 2000, Marchetti, Magni16, Cavalon, ArrowCopter, Magni24 and American Ranger. For Helis, I owned (3) R44s, R22, Hughes 300C, Bell206L1 and logged hours in MD500, B206B3, R66, Bell47, A-Star350. Fixed Wing I've owned C182T and American Champ Scout, and logged hours in all of Cessna SEL models and too many others to list. So, flying for last 40yrs and and off. I've learned a lot and still learning.... I hope to learn more from the wisdom that is offered in this forum and I hope to share some past experiences with the group as well.