Welcome Mat

windy-1

I have been told that there are some gyro guys that fly out of the centralia, Il. airport? I live in Iuka, Il. I would like to get in touch with them. Thanks, Jeff.

Roger

Just became a member and enjoying all the comments. I'm getting a AR1 Gyro the last of this month from Abid at Silverlight in Zephyrhills. Have any of you had any experience with the 100 HP 912IS rotax engine. I would be interested in performance and maintenance comments. I took the two day course at Lockwood for light maintenance.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
The 912iS is pretty new, so not too many of us will have actual experience with it, yet. Since you took the course at Lockwood, you'll know that you will get rather better fuel economy, at the expense of a significant increase in electronic/ignition complexity. The whole "redundant ignition" scheme is a bit worrisome to me.

Roger

I agree but i don't like carbs. Have had several outboard motors with carbs lots of problems. Bought a mercury 60 hp big foot with EFI 2006 model haven't had a bit of trouble. I know we may be mixes apples and oranges but I'll take A chance and hope for the best. Must be something to EFI . Can't buy a new car with a carb. I realize cars with EFI have been made much longer than the 912IS. Thanks for taking time to respond.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
I won't go into the (significant) differences here between car engines and aircraft engines as I'm sure Dean already covered that with you down at Lockwood, but the biggest reasons cars don't have carbs any more is emissions and mileage standards.

Roger

I won't go into the (significant) differences here between car engines and aircraft engines as I'm sure Dean already covered that with you down at Lockwood, but the biggest reasons cars don't have carbs any more is emissions and mileage standards.
Sounds like that would be a good reason for aircraft engines to to have EFI. Not arguing just making an observation. Some people say rotax may be on the way to phasing out the carbs in favor of the EFI and ECU. Maybe who knows.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
If aircraft emissions were a major consideration, we'd all just stop using leaded fuel, for starters. If fuel economy is very important to you, you'll certainly do better flying an airplane.
Rotax hasn't even phased out two-stroke engines. I don't see them phasing out carbs any time soon.

Last edited:

Roger

If aircraft emissions were a major consideration, we'd all just stop using leaded fuel, for starters. If fuel economy is very important to you, you'll certainly do better flying an airplane.
Rotor hasn't even phased out two-stroke engines. I don't see them phasing out carbs any time soon.
I agree . Rotax probably has to much invested. That would be an expensive move.