Weight of a main gear wheel assembly?

freeidaho

Does anyone know the weight of a typical main gear wheel assembly for the ultralight version of a Gyrobee? No brakes, no axle, just the wheel and tire ready to mount.

Thank you,

Ken

that depends, not all wheels are the same
tracy o brien 6" aluminum wheel and 4.00-6 tire without tube if you use tubeless kit is little under 4 lbs,i have wheels about the same size on mine and they are 3.5 lbs each ,but these wheels are unavailable to by in usa ,I have three spares
another wheel which is often used is azusalite 6" ,but you have to use tube and with tire the weight is close to 4.5 lbs .probably lightest wheel is tracy o brien it is same as hegar ,or you can use vanK rims which is same think only difference its cost lot less than hegar

Thank you Sir.

I found these on a deer recovery cart yesterday. The diameter is appealing, but they weigh 7.23lbs each, due to the steel wheel construction.

Thanks again,

Ken

Attachments

• DeerCartWheel7.23lbs.jpg
    DeerCartWheel7.23lbs.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
wheels

wheels

very first bumble bee gyroplane used 16" skyway tuff wheel ,there is still place where you can buy 16" wheels (12" rim) with 5/8 ball bearing,i used to had these on my first gyroplane,these are tuff and light weight,if I remember around 3 lbs each complete with tire and tube,they just don't look good for someone .

I like the looks of those Tracy O'Brian wheels Jan, Thanks!

I've used both the 16" as well as the 12 1/2" Tuff wheels. They look like the wheels you get from crappy wall mart kids bikes, but in fact they are Vastly Superior. The 16" wheels are available from Leading Edge Air Foils. You can press in standard size bearings and use 5/8" or 3/4" axles. The 12 1/2 are much harder to find but you can get them from PlanetBMX.com. If you get the scooter pair , you'll get two front wheels that are alike, either in black or white. I'll post weights when I get the chance.