weight blade comparison

Richard31

Aircraft
Trike AirCreation GTE 582 ES with iFun16
Total Flight Time
Hi,

Surfing on web and the forum, i understand that mostly single seat Dominator has got 23ft DW wings rotor. Based on fact that it will be more and more difficult to find airworthiness DW rotor:

>what will be the best appropriate rotor for a single seat Dominator to avoid to move the CG and keep the current design and stability behavior ?

I read on GyroTechincs web site that the weigh of razor blade 23′ (11′ Blades and 1′ Hub bar) is 51.23 lbs.

>What is the average weight for a standard DW 23ft from Ernie B. to perform comparison ?

thanks a lot,

Richard

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Richard, I believe Denis advertises his Razor Blades as drop in replacements for Dragon Wing rotors.

We had 23’ DW’s for the Hornet and I have in mind a weight of 47lbs, but this may not be correct.

If correct that makes the Razor Blades just a little bit heavier at 51.23Lbs

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
I seem to recall Ernie's ads quoted 37# for 22'. 42# for 23'.

My Sport Rotors (older set of white-painted, vintage 2004 or so), 25' diameter, 6-7/8' chord, which SC calls their 7" chord) was right @ 50#.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
Does anybody know what the old wooden blades weighed? In another thread I saw an anecdotal estimate if 17.5 pounds per blade for 10 foot blades, and I'm guessing maybe 8-12 more for the hubbar? Does that sound about right? Anyone who had (has) a set and remembers?

Last edited:

Racer87

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Command
Total Flight Time
30 hours
I have been thinking about purchasing more blades for my single seat command. I don’t understand how a few pound differents in the blades, can change the CG that much. I would think you could feel a difference but not because of CG? Help me out?

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
The blades won't change the fore and aft CG much, but the difference between a set of Dragon wings at maybe 35 pounds, compared to a set of Sky wheels at, I'm guessing here, ~70 pounds, is 35 pounds with a moment arm of maybe 3.5 feet vertically would have a far bigger effect on the vertical CG.