Weight and Balance

Heliboy

Another question guys:

When purchasing a Helicycle from previous owner : how do you determine any weight/balance correction needed from differences in body weight : (Example : Current pilot (160 pounds): My weight : 215 pounds?

Be prepared for many questions but it is very helpful to have you guys available for what may seem trivial to those who currently fly. I am used to an R22 but from my experience in the past I remember once pilot who was
very small in weight had to put weights under his seat . This wasnt something I ever had to do in an R22.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
Wam !

Wam !

WAM !

WEIGHT times ARM equals MOMENT !

You must create the same moment as the previous owner (presuming he had it balance right with his weight).

You must know how many inches Eagle R&D says the CG of the pilots belly button is from the center of the rotor mast. Let`s say it`s 12" and he weighed 220 lbs.

220x12 = 2640 He made 2640 in.lb. of moment.

Now let`s say you weigh 185#...

185x12 = 2220 You would make only 2220 in.lb. ... 420 in.lb. short.

So... you must create 420 in.lb. of nose weight either by removing one tail rortor blade HAHA! or adding dead weight in the nose...
...or even better...slide your batteries forward if possible.

Whatever you remove, add or move...just use its distance from the mast times its weight to determine the moment being created.

Heliboy

Well Bryan: Thank you

I must say after reading your analysis I realized why I went into medicine.:rolleyes:

Once I obtain the machine Bryan : I may need your further assistance once I have confirmed his actual weight. I asked him if there was anything I needed to do and he stated I would not : but as in medicine : 2nd opinions count !!