Webber 750 engine

Yes Aeroshop and Swissmotorengineering joined forces back in March of this year to form a new company Aero Swiss Engine. They have a working NA engine with their 3L gearbox and are currently working on tunes, exhaust, and engine performance with the turbo.

I have spoke with both Lucio and Michele on a few occasions and keep in contact with them via email. Their gearbox is complete and ready for purchase, but is only offereing in a Rotax 101.6mm pattern and is 2 gear so prop is right hand (when looking at crank).

I have the first draft manuals showing the gearbox design and engine setup recommendations that Lucio provided me back in March. I will be emailing him after the first of the year for an update and to see if they have updated manuals as they are very informative on setup of the external engine components (oil tank, coolant tank, etc.).

Here is the old SME page under construction: http://swissmotorengineering.com/index.html it has Michele's contact info.

Last edited:
Brent

I sure will be looking for fllight reports on this set up. Initial reports will most likely come from fixedwing applications but still be of great interest, keep the group posted on anything you hear "good or bad". I think the "750" goes out of production next year and the "850" comes in. A few differences but hopefully nothing major as far as our use. The V4 although finished and tried, is still awaiting a major market user before production.

Tony

And to back Tony up... the V4 is bad to the bone!!!

Michael

I work by myself about 98 percent of the time, so holding the camera and a tape measure at the same time are beyond my talents. the pad measures about 2 inch by 3 inch.

Tony

Hey Mark

Got a question, how close would you think you could run a flywheel in a housing before you got some serious pneumatic/coupling drag between the housing and the flywheel ??

Tony

Hey Mark

Got a question, how close would you think you could run a flywheel in a housing before you got some serious pneumatic/coupling drag between the housing and the flywheel ??

Tony

until it rub the housing
Tony,
I am about to leave again to sit with Mom. When I get back,tomorrow, I expect to see some full pictures on my computer of your redrive. Consider it my Christmas present

Merry Christmas , Weber Fans.

Last edited:
Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply, it was of some concern to me about running to close a tolerance and creating some pneumatic drag, I will probably have about .125 clearance behind the flywheel and maybe .250 clearance around the perimeter. wont have anything in the way of a new picture with the new housing for some time yet. Now have the gearbox off the engine, if you want any special shot of it just let me know and I will try to position it. Have the adapter housing off of the box, it is very light, weights about 4 lbs

Tony

Bummer, I got home just now and no pictures.
Tony any pictures will be fine, show me what you have apart.

Hi Mark

Well it will be a little bit before I can get out to the hangar for pictures, I celebrated Xmas with a sore tooth and today am going to flirt with the denstist (don't worry, female dentist).

Tony

flat flange crankshaft pattern adapter

flat flange crankshaft pattern adapter

Hey Mark

The pattern for the gearbox adapter using the 6 bolt crankshaft flange is coming along great. Learned a couple of neat tricks to solve a real sticky problem and now if I don't run into any more problems it will be a fairly easy go. Pattern is to crude to use as a "precision" copy but sure worked out great for concept. Pictures later.

Tony:typing:

I am glad to hear it is going well with you. It was warm today, and I finally got that 4 cylinder motor finished up and stabbed today, One more project almost gone. I am cutting back for 2012 and will be doing more flying. Also I bought a cheap TV monitor from Best Buy and hooked it to the Mill. I can see the screen again finally. It was a 15 in, so I need to look on line for a 12 inch. That way, I will remove the Cathode Tube and go with flat screen. I should have my mill back if we get two more warm days. I really appreciate your offer to help me with it.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi Mark

Well you just did what my computer guru said might be possible, glad to hear it's working. I asked him about going over to flat screen with direct interchange, he said maybe yes and maybe no on the older computer, hope that works as well. As I read the post, was the monitor from Best Buy a flat screen ??

Tony

yes,
I went with flat screen from Best Buy. I will try to locate a 12in online so I can mount it in the interface box.

That's great Mark, Russ (the computer guy ) wasn't sure about the older model computer interfacing. Have prettty well got the pattern done, will have to send it to you when I am done with it, maybe a couple of months, with the 2 secrets I learned that I will enclose in a letter :) Am making a special wrench to hold the crankshaft on the engine, the bolts are put in with RED LOCTITE !!!!! Hope to wrap up the "oil system" in the next couple of weeks. Then on to the cooling system, am about half way done on the exhaust system or the prototype anyway.

Tony

What engine was the 4 cylinder ??

Tony

Michael

Here are the pictures of the bottom mount, hole spacing is about .900 x 1.580 The pictures show the pad size

Got to thinking... since I am sure Neil does most of his machining in metric it is likely 24x40mm bolt pattern

Just testing the waters

Just testing the waters

One of the more important features of any converted engine market is the "availability of needed parts and accessories" , like the engine mount, the electrical system (ECU/wiring) oil system, cooling system , re-drive/adapter, exhaust system, to name the main ones. My interest of course has been the Weber MPE-750. Having managed to build some of these systems and closing in on the final parts, it has come to mind that it would be nice if some of the time I have spent on the components could be put to good use by someone if they would like to "produce" some of these parts for people who desire to use the Weber engine. My effort of course has been with Neil Hintz re-drive gearbox, so that area is covered and he produces an adapter for the one piece type crankshaft, I am working on an adapter for the 6 bolt flat flange crankshaft style engine. I have a firewall type mount for my tractor and it is in 2 pieces (upper and lower) and the lower will work fine for a pusher installation, the prop end mount will still need to be designed ( a very simple task).

I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has the shop facilities that would be interested in producing some of these parts like the engine mounts, (need press brake, shears, and probably tig welding) ECU wiring harness, (this is labor intensive, time consuming ) 6 bolt crankshaft adapter housing (CNC machining facilities), If a sufficient market would develope Neil might look at casting (maybe ??) Exhaust system, will need mandrel bender for at least 2 inch stainless exhaust tubing and tig welding. Oil system and cooling systems yet uknown ??

I have no interest in producing any of these parts but if someone else does, I would be willing to assist with patterns and info that I have accumulated ( which is a BUNCH ).
If anyone is interested and has both, "the facilities and the experience" to do some this work, just make a post and when I have the engine running and ground tested I will get back to you. I think this will make the Weber a very desirable option.

Tony

Thursday was my birthday, so this weekend, I went to the shop and started the Mill.
I found out all of my programs were gone! I had to reload the Mill parameters and then start from scratch to write the programs again. The only one I was able to finish was the profile for the bell housing for the Rotax CBox.It took me all weekend

Attachments

• Weber bellhousing 002.jpg
    Weber bellhousing 002.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Weber bellhousing 003.jpg
    Weber bellhousing 003.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Weber bellhousing 001.jpg
    Weber bellhousing 001.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Heres a few pictures of the progress