Webber 750 engine

Yes , I think your second post is the correct route to go. I read some this morning and ran out of ink printing more of the Megasquirt information. Looks like I need to find a cheap laptop to perform all the testing during the assembly. I will read more later. I have work to do on my day job that cannot wait.
I pick up more ink while in town today.

I just did a weber google image search and that PIC was one. here is one with a gear drive testing.

Attachments

• weber-2.jpg
    weber-2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi Brent

Can you tell, is that a Hirth box ??

Tony

That looks like the SME now ASE test bench and original 2 gear drive they were testing... the red thingy kinda gives it away....

but could be wrong... just a guess

Attachments

• asp.jpg
    asp.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a Simonini gearbox

http://www.simonini-flying.com/victor2super_ita.htm

vic_2big.jpg

The Simonini does advertise their gearbox on Subaru powered 4 strokes

Attachments

• rid_subaru.jpg
    rid_subaru.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 0
Hey Mark

That sure does look like it. On a turbo EA-81, maybe 120 hp?? Wonder what a hp levels they make and what drives, (clutch or rubber damper)

Tony

Where is Simonini produced ? Any info ?

Tony

Well, found the Simonini website, nice gear box and not a bad engine either, if it lives up to its calims. They list the gear box at about $2060 rated for 150 hp. Would need to make a custom flywheel for the Weber and a custom adapter housing. flywheel would be no problem but the adapter housing (not a plate) would require quite a bit of work either in machining or casting and machining, otherwise nice looking box.

Tony

Italy

Last edited:
Hey Mark

That sure does look like it. On a turbo EA-81, maybe 120 hp?? Wonder what a hp levels they make and what drives, (clutch or rubber damper)

Tony

Tony ,
looks like they offer both. Rubber damper and a clutch. They advertise their clutch to fit a Rotax box also. I don't know what the cost conversion is.
http://www.simonini-flying.com/componenti5.htm

Hi Mark

I see they have a USA dealer in Pompano Beach Florida that claims to be a full inventory dealer and repair center. In their picture of the gear box the do not show the "adapter housing ". Wonder if that is extra, box is only $2060 ?? Sure would like to hear from some of our overseas group as to how this engine performs and how they like the gear box. Box looks to be pretty much the traditional design and with Helical cut gears too, although the output shaft looks a little small for 150 hp.

Tony

Keep in mind also this is being used in a two stroke that uses "wheel and pin" crankshaft design which means that a lot of flywheel mass exsist in the crankshaft.

Tony

Hi Mark

I see they have a USA dealer in Pompano Beach Florida that claims to be a full inventory dealer and repair center. In their picture of the gear box the do not show the "adapter housing ". Wonder if that is extra, box is only $2060 ?? Sure would like to hear from some of our overseas group as to how this engine performs and how they like the gear box. Box looks to be pretty much the traditional design and with Helical cut gears too, although the output shaft looks a little small for 150 hp.

Tony

Tony,
I was considering the Simonini Plus engine for a gyro. 110 hp with the same weight as 582 was impressive. I spoke with the owner, who is an extremely pleasant person. I bought a Radiator for my KB 4, that was advertised as a Simonini Radiator. It turned out to be a Rabbit Radiator. We had several emails back and forth. I don't think I will be dealing with the Simonin USA, but you will enjoy talking with the owner.

Francesco La Lumia
President/CEO
Simonini USA
954-980-9729
www.simoniniusa.com

Last edited:
The Autoflight universal 160 three gear unit!

Attachments

• DSCF4967.jpg
    DSCF4967.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF4968.jpg
    DSCF4968.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF4969.jpg
    DSCF4969.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
Neal,
What is the weight of that unit as in the picture? Does it have a flywheel and if so is the weight included in the the weight of the unit?

Very nice work on the bellhousing.

Yes it has a steel flywheel. Three gears are for a customer that want's to use it in a fixed wing. Haven't weighed it yet. Two gear unit fits on the same adaptor housing. Yes it's a little over built but this three gear is destined for other larger engines also. Offset 200mm.