Webber 750 engine

Hello to all

Have some questions about the Weber, earlier I inquired if it was mounted firewall or saddle and the answer was both, now, my firewall bolt pattern would be 20 inches wide and 14- 7/8 high would anyone know from see one of these engines if this would be sufficient to do a firewall mount ?

Also notice they use the Rotax "C" box on the N/A version and a custome gear box on the turbo. If I read things right, the custome box has 3 gears, wounder how this is goint to work out with the torsional frequencies and vibes, does this box have a elastomeric dampener like a Love Joy coupler ? I just got lots of questions so have at it, all help appreciated !!!!

Tony

Tony,
Sorry been away from the computer for a couple of days. It is turbo. Dad sent an extra case he has to Neil to fit a gear box to it. Meanwhile he will begin planning to mount it to an airframe. Probably going on an UltraWhite airframe to test it.

Well now, this just gets more and more interesting. First, I just answered some of my own question by going to post #15 and going to the SME link helipaddy posted and the very last picture on the specs has what looks like a firewall mount.

Now since I'm almost totally illiterate on meterics I used the comment at the top of the picture that says these measurements are in centimerers, ooooooookk. I go to a site that has conversion features , oh oh trouble , this thing (using centimeters ) is bigger than a 454 V-8 , almost had the BIG ONE right there, so went to millimeters and the blood pressure went back to normal !!!!

Tony

Hi mike thanks for the quick reply. Tell Ernie I sure appreciate all the work he does for us experimenters. On a Ultrawhite that's gonna be ONE BUTT KICK'N MACHINE !!

Tony

Don't know if that's what he is going to use. I was just guessing since he already has two rolling airframes available. I already offered to be the guinea pig for testing it for a large pilot. He said no. Oh well I tried guess I'll just have to loose 40 more pounds.

Well things sure do get complicated fast, when I started my tractor project I had to decide which engine I wanted to use. I wanted to use a Subaru EA-81 as I was very familiar with them but there was this issue of the radiator and my fuselage is rather small so it would have been a bit bulky and the decision on what re-drive to use so it would have been a little bulky on my fuselage. The other choice in my picture was a VW but it was air cooled and used more gas , but when I saw the Valley re-drive that sort of made the decission.

Things go along fairly well , I get my motor mount about 90 percent done and buy (two) of the Diehl engine mounts (different starter locations) and decide which one of these I want to use and work progresses on. Then along comes this darn Weber and everything just slams to a halt (engine wise).

Been doing a lot of web site hopping today and looked at the Valley site and see they are giving there premium engine weight at around 185 pounds with re-drive and prop but no oil, since gyro's use lots of power and this will be in a cowl it will be necessary to do some sheet metal work for cooling so there will be some more weight and exhaust will have to be figured in later for both engines and they are presently giving a price of almost $10,000 , $9950 to be exact, and thats 100 hp max rpm.

Now the SME web site gives the Weber turbo a weight of 158 pounds and although they don't say,I assume that is with the re-drive but dry weight with no prop now add a oil cooler ,radiator, plumbing, and coolant and some sheet metal for radiator pressurizing ( you do know that a GOOD cooling system on a radiator has got to suck as well a blow) in other words you MUST have a negative pressure behind the radiator or you will just get a air dam infront and it will stall the flow. Now you add in the modern design of the Weber and the 135 max hp plus some really good gear boxes and it looks like Neil is going to make a standard box for it and you end up having to make a DECISION all over again, MAN , it is just like RACER said, until you have done the R&D side of it you just can't know what it's like to build BUT I SURE AM HAVING FUN (I think).

Tony

Hello to all

Was looking thru all the post here on the Weber 750 and trying to glean some info and checked out the link in post # 25 by Brent Brown. It went to a E-Bay posting by a speed shop in Lake Havasu City Az.

"Looks" like this palce rebuilds and hops up all sorts of watercraft and snowmobile engines to all different levels of "boost" and is deep into the Weber engines. This looks like a place to possibly get a engine, they seem to start around 5k and I am sure you would get near 10k by the time you add all the intake and exhaust manifolds and or turbo and ect ect plus the re-drive yet to be determined. My point is it would let you break up the initial outlay (especially if you are not in snowmobile country where you would have a chance at a sled).

My question to anyone out there in gyro land, has anyone dealt with this company or is anyone close to look this stuff over and give an opinion, they sound like they are experienced in there work.

I am very cautious about "hopped up engines although I had planned to use a Great Plains 2180 VW which is a "hop up" but very time proven.

Tony

Hi Mark

All the info I have is what they posted in the "E-Bay" posting that Brent gave in post #25

Tony

The engine they list in the "E-Bay" post is for a watercraft but they mention ATV so I think they can do other craft.

Tony

Jeff Tipton

Hi Jeff did you get your Weber yet, hope to get some demensions from you where the engine would mount on a firewall , as shown in the one picture on the SME thread

Tony

Tony; the Weber engine has arrived, but I have been to busy with work to lay out all the parts that came with it. I have a request in to locate the manuals for the installation that should answer some questions for me.

Are you needing the dimensions for the mounting points or bell housing area.

Would pictures of all four sides help?

HI Jeff

Thanks for the quick reply, Yes I think pics of the four sides would help, it is the back end (not the power take off end) that I am interested in. In one of the links (I think it is # 25 by Helipaddy ) that SME shows a lot of layouts, there is a drawing of a side view of a firewall mount but no actual pictures. Between this drawing and a picture of the baack end I think I could visualize how the mount is made. I'm just a hair away from buying a Weber myself and this could push me over the edge.

Tony

Ok you guys that are familiar with Neil's gear boxes, what is the offset of the universial box ???? Also what is the hp rating for Rotax's "E" box , I think the rating for the "C" box is 120 but the Weber turbo is rated at 135 max and 120 cruise. If anyone is interested there is a "C' box for sale on Barnstomers for $1k

Tony

Tony; I was wondering why you might be considering the E box. If I am not mistaking, and I could be, the main diffrence between the C box and the E box is the electric starter on the E box. The Weber has a starter on the end opposite the PTO.

I will be ferrying an aircraft from Cornelia Fort to Dickson tomorrow. After that I will see about the pictures and post them here. If you send me PM I will forward the the full size pictures to you. Roughly 6 mega pixells each so you can enlarge them.

The C and E box are identical, except the E box has an electric starter and an idler gear
for the starter, the drive gears, damper, HP rating are the same.

All-In+

John , for a two place idea go to post #1 click on link and look at MPE-V4. 200 hp non-turbo in a basically 20 inch by 20 inch by 20 inch package with a pre-converted weight of 165 lb WOW !

Tony

OK John

I think the other 750 at that salvage yard is to be sold shortly and then all of us can make this 750 thread VERY INTERESTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Yaw Mon, I believe this is a perfect fit for us = saddle mount & Neils redrive.
The weight to power numbers and size look good!

MPE 750 and MPE 4

MPE 750 and MPE 4

To give you some Info on Weber, we working very closely with the Factory and I can give you more information on this anytime you like.

This Engine, the MPE 4 will not be available for some time to come. My in 2012you will see the first Engines on the Market. The MPE 750 will be upgraded to the new MPE 850 from beginning of 2011. We are testing the MPE 750 presently on the CD II and short Videos can be found on YouTube. The Engine has great Value and we are using the 135 HP Version with our new Planetary Redrive as shown on this tread before.

John