We lost FJ today .... he's flying on angel wings now!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
It's on the Kansas news, several close gyro friends know, ... it will be public knowledge by noon tomorrow ... & those who put 2 + 2 ...already know. :Cry:

http://www.kake.com/story/32458505/small-plane-crashes-in-rural-butler-co

About 7pm this eve I lost my best mate ... he went to his heavenly home doing what he loved and had yearned after for so long ... flying our beautiful Titanium Explorer .."Festey"! ......

I'm planning to walk the accident site ( just 1/4 mile from our farm - in a bean field) ... with the FAA tomorrow!

Will keep you posted as information comes out.

Forensics lab will determine if it was a medical issue ...????

I have a wonderful extended family, friends. local EAA, church community all here surrounding me with much love and support!

He & Bonzer are rejoicing together @ the "Rainbow Bridge" ... and he's having a wonderful reunion with his beloved Mum, & siblings ...... going to be hard to tell his Dad 92 in the nursing home that he has outlived his last surviving child!

The days ahead will be hard & lonely ... I'm just in shock .... overdrive!

Last edited:
I'm shocked and saddended by the news. My hearfelt condolences! May he RIP.

Chris- Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. So sorry to hear this.

I'm at a complete loss for words.

We have all come to love Jim and Chris throughout the last few years as they struggled so hard to get where Jim could realize his dreams of piloting his own gyro. That day finally came and the entire community was so proud of him. Now this, so very sad. He was such a lucky man to have such a supportive mate.

The community has lost a great man today. We are all here for you Chris.

Oh no. I am so saddened and shocked. May he rest in peace and a big hug from me Chris. This crazy world is giving too much sadness recently and too much insanity. I am sure he has flown off to a better place.

Chris I was in a stupor for over an hour when I got the call tonight. Please keep me informed Crissy and I will do and help with what ever you need...

I am so sad to hear this.

My Deepest Condolences Chris,

May God whisper words of comfort.

Sincerely, Ed

I'm stunned... I can only imagine what you're feeling right now Chris. FJ will be missed and remembered.

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Chris I'm so terribly sorry about your loss, his family and friends loss, the gyro community. I met you and Jim a couple years ago at ROTR, Jim, laid back, you, so full of energy, all I can say is, "rest in peace". Jim.

Last edited:
Chris I was in disbelief when you told me. I had to ask you 2 or 3 times not Jim!
You two are so special to me!!! I'm writing this now with tears in my eyes and its not dust.
I had 3 practical jokes all planed out to pull on Jim at Mentone and you were part of each one.

There is no Joy in Mudvill tonight!

I loved both of you and MEANT it when I told you if there is anything that I can do now or in the future you only have to hint and I'm there for you! ANYTHING at all as you both are so special to me!

I already miss the big guy with the big hart and I will never replace him. I have such GREAT MEMORIES of his unique sense of humor. Took me an hour talking with Jim just to figure it out. You are two of the best people that I've ever met and I formed an affection for both of you from the moment I met you.

This year at Mentone will just not be the same without both of you.

Last edited:
Chris,
I met FJ briefly at Bensen days in Wauchula 2015. He was so excited about this new adventure. I'm taken aback and grieving with you, just as all the others on this forum and everyone else in your lives. This is a huge loss to all. Yes, so much sadness lately. Nothing I can say can take the pain away but please take solace knowing he did fulfill his dream of flight. Yes, eventually we will all join him up yonder.

PS:
I'll learn to deal with it but will never get over the early loss!
I know 1st hand what it is like to outlive a son I cannot image outliving all of them.

I do want to go out with my boots on doing what I love like Jim and not like my brother dying is bed of cancer!

Dear Chris,

I am sitting here in shock reading this. After all FJ went through to get his dream of flying to happen with you and the Titanium... I cannot express how sad I am to hear this. My son and I had a nice talk with him in the grass by his Gyro at Mentone in 2012. He was a wonderful person and will be missed. May he Rest in Peace.

So incredibly sorry for your loss, Chris.

Erik