We have a "NEW" Gyro CFI!!!

Harry_S.

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
2000+ hrs.
I just learned today that forum member Paul Patterson has recently passed his CFI Practical for the Gyroplane. Congratulations Paul. :D

Paul is located in Edmond, Ok. You can contact him at 405-826-8443.

Another forum member is added to the CFI list.

Cheers :)

Cool deal what does he teach in and do you know his rates? I am getting alot of E-mails lately from people that have read the barnstormers E-flyer. so i would like to be able to pass on the info.

Great news. Gratz to you Paul.

what does he teach in and do you know his rates?

I don't know his rates, but the last time I talked to him (November) he had an RAF with stabilator and no HS.

He said the RAF didn't need a HS, and he didn't either.

I applaud Paul's efforts to reach his goal, and it's quite an accomplishment, but I can't get too excited about having another CFI that has that attitude.

But it's been 8 months since I talked to him, he may have changed things since then.

Youse guys just never give up...:boink: :wacko: :sad:

Cheers

Cheers

And so we shouldn't Harry. I have seen too many fatalities:mad: from PPO to not try and get the correct info out there, whether it be a Raf or any HTL gyroplane. The industry is improving and I enjoy seeing people being aware of gyroplane geometry and building/buying close to CLT gyeoplanes.

Aussie Paul. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

For one I certainly am glad that I was made aware of the stability issues on this Forum.

Forewarned, and educated might allow me to not only to better understand the problem but stay alive longer.

And so we shouldn't Harry. I have seen too many fatalities:mad: from PPO to not try and get the correct info out there, whether it be a Raf or any HTL gyroplane. The industry is improving and I enjoy seeing people being aware of gyroplane geometry and building/buying close to CLT gyeoplanes.

Aussie Paul. :)

Your info is out there Paul...but why beat it to death whenever the three letters "RAF" appears, whether in good news or bad news?! That part I don't get.

By and by...do you yet feel up to telling us the reasons for your accident with the Firebird?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

My opinions don't mean much on this keyboard forum Chuck, but I have to say...IMHO, the fore mentioned "AE" knew some sh!t. ;)

For one I certainly am glad that I was made aware of the stability issues on this Forum.

Forewarned, and educated might allow me to not only to better understand the problem but stay alive longer.

I certainly agree with you there, Leigh.

Education coupled with the experience is, shall we say...tantamount.

Cheers

Harry,

I know that guys with RAF's get a lot of grief and feel like everyone on the forum has it in for them, but I don't think that is accurate. There are several RAF drivers that are well known and well liked (by most anyway), like yourself or Gary.

The thing that makes most of us get concerned is when we hear people telling others that a high thrust machine (RAF or any other high thrust machine) doesn't need to have a horizontal stabilizer to be a safe and stable machine. Now granted, Paul hasn't (to my knowledge) posted here on the forum stating that position, but from what Mike said his position was, in a conversation he personally had with him, it sounds like that is what he believes and it is reasonable to assume that is what he will pass on to any students he takes on. That makes all of us very concerned. We are not concerned that a trained, experienced and informed pilot may choose to fly a less stable aircraft, that should be totally up to them. But we are concerned that a new person who may not know all the facts yet, is taught by someone he trusts and expects to give him correct information, and is told that an RAF (or any other high thrust line machine) with no Horizontal Stabilizer is perfectly safe and stable and not something he needs to be cautious of.

The truth is any Aircraft is dangerous, but a high thrust line Gyroplane with no Horizontal Stabilizer, is much less stable than most of the new Gyro Designs that have less of a thrust line offset and that use a Horizontal Stabilizer to increase their stability. While I recognize that some people believe a Stabilator works just as good as having a Horizontal Stabilizer, that is far from a generally accepted belief and been intelligently discussed and debated here on the forum and I don't think it should be taught as a fact. It should be taught as an approach that some believe but that others don't accept. Every new person should hear both sides of the debate and be able to choose for them self, what they are going to believe and then they become responsible for the outcome of that decision. But it is just plain wrong when any new person isn't taught about stability issues and at least warned of the dangers that a vast majority of Gyroplane Pilots believe exist for less stable machines. And Pilots of these "less stable" machines that refuse to admit they need a Horizontal Stabilizer to be safe and stable don't have a very good track record for being open to the other side of the debate.

A thorough understanding of Gyroplane stability should everyones goal. I believe we all want the same end result (fun and safe Gyro flight for everyone who wants it) we just don't always see eye to eye on how to best accomplish our goal. As long as we can remember we're all on the same side and treat one another with respect, we can work through this.

Fun and Safe flying to everyone!!!

Gyro Doug