Wayne Hubbs has passed away

David Meyer

Many of you knew Wayne Hubbs. He flew a red Magni M-22, and made several trips to Mentone in it.
He passed at his home in Smithville, TN. this morning. Obviously, arrangements have not been made yet,
and since I am leaving town, I will not be a source of information on the services.

Very sad to hear! He was one of the regulars & his immaculate Magni won grand Champion at my earlier Mentone experiences!
He had a quiet strength & humble demeanor !
Another of the good ones gone & greatly missed!:cry:

I wish I could write like Christine. I have a really hard time expressing my feelings when we lose a community member, or family and friends. I really think a little piece of me dies along with them. Miss you Wayne.

I will miss Wayne a lot also. He was a great friend. I cherish my memories of working late at night in Wayne's hangar building his M22. He was so proud to be flying it and showing it at the Mentone Conventions. A little story: Wayne's M22 Kit arrived in a couple boxes from Italy. In one of the boxes, he found a decal of Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus. Wayne was a very devout Christian. He asked me if the factory sent this decal in every kit? I had never seen the decal before. I asked the factory! They had never seen this decal before either!?? They guessed, their Parish Priest might have secreted the decal in Wayne's kit box when he was visiting the factory earlier!? I told Wayne this, and he considered this to be a Blessing from Magni for his safety in that Gyro. Wayne proudly displayed that decal on his gyro. Wayne considered this a miracle of his Faith. He had built and owned another gyro earlier, an RAF, that he earlier had also included a decal of the Crucifix on its nose. He would not believe that the decal in his kit was just a coincidence. He believed that it was a message from above to help keep him safe in his gyro. You are missed, Wayne! Help keep us all safe in our beloved sport.

Attachments

• IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 27
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 27
Greg....Awesome story you mentioned about that decal. Coincidence or a wink from God? Wayne was a stellar feller....and he had a very nice aura about him.

I am fortunate for the few minutes talking to him.

Preliminary obituary!

Posted for Dewey Young

Subject: Wayne Hubbs’ Celebration of life

Most everyone has heard by now, that all our dear friend and flying pal Mr. Wayne Hubbs flew West on Jul. 24th , but actually what happened was The Lord sent special envoy of angels to to fly “Hubbcapp”, Mr. Magni, Arnold Wayne Hubbs to Paradise faster than any modern Gyro ever could.
Wayne’s Celebration of Life is set for Saturday August 21st at 2:00 pm. Please bring you a lawn chair because it will be held outside the hangar at the Smithville Airport, regards everyone please come if you can because this was one of the most respected pilot, craftsman, buddy, friend, and all around gentleman any of us ever knew, regards, Dewey Young , Bensen Gyro Pilot

Say it is not true!! How did he die far too young?
I',m truly Heartbroken it's like losing Jim and Gary. Both were so very special people in their own ways.

Wayne was one of those who once you met. You wanted to be friends instantly with him. His laid back calm -quiet demeanor made him for me the definition of a gentleman. He always made people feel special, welcome, and that he actually cared.

This sucks... No more flying adventures with Wayne!!

Hello everyone, this is Wayne Hubbs' daughter Sheryl. I want to thank you all for your very kind words about my father. He was truly one of a kind and knowing how much he was loved has helped me more than you can know.
I hope I get the chance to meet some of you great people at dad's service on Saturday.
If you could all please help me out and spread the word that there will be a sale at his hangar at Smithville Municipal Airport on Saturday, August 28 at 9:00 a.m. There will be lots of aviation tools and hardware for sale as well as every possible power and non-power tool known to man. I will try to post some pics on dad's Facebook account.
Also, as much as it hurts me to do it, Big Red, dad's beloved Magni gyro is going up for sale. Spread the word and watch for ads in the normal places.

Hello everyone, this is Wayne Hubbs' daughter Sheryl. I want to thank you all for your very kind words about my father. He was truly one of a kind and knowing how much he was loved has helped me more than you can know.
I hope I get the chance to meet some of you great people at dad's service on Saturday.
If you could all please help me out and spread the word that there will be a sale at his hangar at Smithville Municipal Airport on Saturday, August 28 at 9:00 a.m. There will be lots of aviation tools and hardware for sale as well as every possible power and non-power tool known to man. I will try to post some pics on dad's Facebook account.
Also, as much as it hurts me to do it, Big Red, dad's beloved Magni gyro is going up for sale. Spread the word and watch for ads in the normal places.
Hello Sheryl, your dad was a very special person.
If you will email PRA/me ([email protected]) with an attachment of the funeral notice, the aircraft, and equipment you need to sell, and or if you need a go fund me for the funeral expenses let me know too PLEASE. I'll batch email 14K people, send out another 5K on constant contact, post on all the forums and Facebook pages. We loved your father.
Needed to write that before I started thinking about our loss because it seems the dang dust here in CA is making my eyes tear up as I write this.

We will all miss him. Your father made a real difference in helping/me and our rotorcraft community/ and others in this world.
The reason humans do not make heaven on earth is we do not individually make it that way each day.
Your father did make it heaven on earth for all who met him or volunteering with time and money at his airport PRA and all he met. A Truly GREAT man of kindness with actions not just words.

We love him too. You may call me/PRA if you need anything. 619 743 6712.

There are no words to express how sorry we are or remove the pain of your/our loss.

But I can trick my mind by immediately remembering all the great adventures we had together and how good/right it felt just to hang with him at fly ins.

Thank you so much! I will email you all the information I have first thing in the morning.
I'm using dad's iPad and he was still logged in to the rotary forum. I couldn't figure out how to create a new post.
I am here from Germany trying to settle dad's estate and have been here since the day after he passed on July 25th. I can use all the help I can get from you lovely people.

I suggest you take bids on the aircraft starting as soon as I can publish it.
Will need a person back there that can take pictures that is knowledgeable to answer questions on the aircraft, before they email you their bid.

This method does work to get would-wide bids. But probably sell in the US because of registration and SHIPPING.
Or if no one else. I can answer what his ride was like the last time I saw her. If we cannot find a volunteer back there.

The object is to get the most number of people bidding on it rather than an estate; take it off your hands sale.
The longer you can be here to take bids the closer to the market price you will receive.

Last edited:
I sent two emails. Check your spam folder if you don't see them.

I sent two emails. Check your spam folder if you don't see them.
Good morning Sheryl

No joy.. Looked in spam. I have nothing.
Please check the spelling of my last name. It is Rountree, with no 'D". Good spellers always add the d to correct it to Roundtree. but It's Rountree.

That is all I can think of as to my no emails received.

Sheryl...Wayne was simply a stellar guy! What few times we spent talking added to my life. I always knew he was a neighbor to Aaron Tippin.....but I always looked at that fact that it was Aaron who benefitted the most.