Wauchula Labor Day get to gether!

Thanks Larry---just wondered if there was some "meaning" to the way the one cake looked!!! LOL
Congratulations Art on your first cross country! Glad everyone had safe flights!

what a week-end!

what a week-end!

Thanks to the Gang for a wonderful 2 days of flying, yapping, and tinkering!
The Soma and I had a great time flying with the gang!

I have video of davie's new ride and will post it shortly.

Lets do this again soon!! :peace:

Larry, can you give me an idea of how long the flight from River Ranch to Wauchula took? I am thinking of trying to fly down one weekend. Also did you plot a course? If so could you share it with me?

The River Ranch to Wauchula run is about 1 hr. I think it was 49 miles.
I was in fuel conservation mode and averaged about 5600 rpm.
The course was really easy - I got on Art's tail and wouldn't let him shake me off!
Slightly south of due west according to my dollar store compass.
We may have cut-the-corner of the restricted airspace ever so slightly.

It was REALLY close for me on the way back to RR - I put 5.9 gallons in a 7 gallon tank with 5-7 headwinds.
I won't do this again with less than 10 gals aboard.

I'm jealous of those that got to fly this weekend. The winds have been in the high thirties and forties...maybe more. This tropical storm really cramped my plans. Oh well. Hope you guys had a lot of fun!

Yea Brian,

We got pretty lucky. The weather was generally a mix of sun and clouds with a steady east/southeast wind and then turned pretty much right down the runway so we could use runway 18. We did have to wait out a few showers which also thankfully cooled it off a bit.

Anyway, next time I hope it fits your plans better so that you can join us.

The River Ranch to Wauchula run is about 1 hr. I think it was 49 miles.
I was in fuel conservation mode and averaged about 5600 rpm.
The course was really easy - I got on Art's tail and wouldn't let him shake me off!
Slightly south of due west according to my dollar store compass.
We may have cut-the-corner of the restricted airspace ever so slightly.

It was REALLY close for me on the way back to RR - I put 5.9 gallons in a 7 gallon tank with 5-7 headwinds.
I won't do this again with less than 10 gals aboard.

For most of that trip were you over landable terrain?

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to put it down.
Not terribly friendly terrain.

I am, much like you seem to be, pretty conservative in my flying.
I am reluctant to cross water or broad forested areas.
So I try to pick 'oases' where I might be able to put down and move between them.
When I could see a bad stretch coming up, I'd add a couple hundred feet of altitude to increase my margin.

That said, I wasn't overly concerned about the terrain.
Fuel, yes. Cloud cover, yes. Head winds, yes.

I enjoyed it and would encourage you to give it a try once you've built confidence in your new motor.

A couple of things I'd do differently next time.
Fuel capacity obviously.
A better briefing on what we would do as a group if someone had a forced landing. Depending on pilot health, what exactly would we do?
A second bird with GPS capability. It occurred to me on the flight back that if Art (midget) had to set down, I'd be in a world of hurt - both pinpointing his location and finding the closest airport or safe spot to land.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to put it down.
Not terribly friendly terrain.

I am, much like you seem to be, pretty conservative in my flying.
I am reluctant to cross water or broad forested areas.
So I try to pick 'oases' where I might be able to put down and move between them.
When I could see a bad stretch coming up, I'd add a couple hundred feet of altitude to increase my margin.

That said, I wasn't overly concerned about the terrain.
Fuel, yes. Cloud cover, yes. Head winds, yes.

I enjoyed it and would encourage you to give it a try once you've built confidence in your new motor.

A couple of things I'd do differently next time.
Fuel capacity obviously.
A better briefing on what we would do as a group if someone had a forced landing. Depending on pilot health, what exactly would we do?
A second bird with GPS capability. It occurred to me on the flight back that if Art (midget) had to set down, I'd be in a world of hurt - both pinpointing his location and finding the closest airport or safe spot to land.

Look into Spot at www.findmestpot.com .

Uhhh - I think you mispelled the link, Joe.
Google points me toward FIND MOST POT which is probably not what you intended.
:hippie:

I have a lower tech, less expensive strategy.
Next time I'll tell The Morons that I'm carrying $200 and a bottle of Crown.
They'd find me before dark!