Water Temp

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
Its really cold here right now.  In fact its snowing right now   :p<br><br>Anyway, I was real careful about warming up my Rotax 532 yesterday before flying.  How warm is considered safe before starting your takeoff roll?  Thanks for the help.<br><br>Todd<br>

Re: Water Temp

Todd,<br><br>Don't know the recommended temperature, but if you don't have a thermostat in your system (most 532s do not) I recommend you add one.  It is simple to do.  The 582 engines do have them.

Over 100 degrees I would go for it if you DON"T have a thermostat. If you do you could wait for the temps to get hot enough to make the thermo open then you would be fine.<br><br>My dominator has a thermostat in it and it never goes higher than 120 degrees. It will barely get to 100 in the winter time.

I installed a 160 degree thermostat last week.  I waited for temperatures to reach 130 before starting my takeoff roll.  It actually reached 160 in flight, but once I idled down, the temperature quickly comes down.<br><br>Does 130 sound high enough.  Ron, it doesn't sound like you ever get that high, so I should be alright.

Back in approx 1993 my friend Bert Flood from Melbourne OZ was the Rotax dealer. His Son Gary runs the business today.<br><br>Rotax had supplied bert with a 582 engine to have some hard hours flown testing some mods. We were not allowed to touch anything.<br><br>The main thing I noticed from an operators point of view was that the water temp ran cooler than the 180 degrees than my previous 582.<br><br>This new engine must have had a 130 degree thermostat.<br>Rotax wanted the engine back after 400 hours. I ended up doing 560 hours before we sent it back to Austria.<br><br>In those 560 the only maintainence was 2 new plugs every 50 hours. I was operating the plugs for 100 hours but in case of a bad batch of plugs I never changed the 4 at one time.<br><br>This engine was used 99.9 % of the time training in my side by side open frame A/Command with 27' Skywheels. Gross was around 750 lbs all the time.<br><br>I really hated sending that engine back. I bought a 618 after that, and loved that engine. A 4% increase in gross weight with the electric starter, and a 15% increase in power. The 618 used 1 US gallon less fuel per hour.<br><br>How about that for some useless trivia!!!! LOL<br>Aussie Paul.