Water Temp

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
Its really cold here right now.  In fact its snowing right now   :p<br><br>Anyway, I was real careful about warming up my Rotax 532 yesterday before flying.  How warm is considered safe before starting your takeoff roll?  Thanks for the help.<br><br>Todd<br>

rehler

Gold Member
Aircraft
Custom Gyrocopter
Total Flight Time
700+
Re: Water Temp

Todd,<br><br>Don't know the recommended temperature, but if you don't have a thermostat in your system (most 532s do not) I recommend you add one.  It is simple to do.  The 582 engines do have them.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT

Over 100 degrees I would go for it if you DON"T have a thermostat. If you do you could wait for the temps to get hot enough to make the thermo open then you would be fine.<br><br>My dominator has a thermostat in it and it never goes higher than 120 degrees. It will barely get to 100 in the winter time.

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours

I installed a 160 degree thermostat last week.  I waited for temperatures to reach 130 before starting my takeoff roll.  It actually reached 160 in flight, but once I idled down, the temperature quickly comes down.<br><br>Does 130 sound high enough.  Ron, it doesn't sound like you ever get that high, so I should be alright.

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.

Back in approx 1993 my friend Bert Flood from Melbourne OZ was the Rotax dealer. His Son Gary runs the business today.<br><br>Rotax had supplied bert with a 582 engine to have some hard hours flown testing some mods. We were not allowed to touch anything.<br><br>The main thing I noticed from an operators point of view was that the water temp ran cooler than the 180 degrees than my previous 582.<br><br>This new engine must have had a 130 degree thermostat.<br>Rotax wanted the engine back after 400 hours. I ended up doing 560 hours before we sent it back to Austria.<br><br>In those 560 the only maintainence was 2 new plugs every 50 hours. I was operating the plugs for 100 hours but in case of a bad batch of plugs I never changed the 4 at one time.<br><br>This engine was used 99.9 % of the time training in my side by side open frame A/Command with 27' Skywheels. Gross was around 750 lbs all the time.<br><br>I really hated sending that engine back. I bought a 618 after that, and loved that engine. A 4% increase in gross weight with the electric starter, and a 15% increase in power. The 618 used 1 US gallon less fuel per hour.<br><br>How about that for some useless trivia!!!! LOL<br>Aussie Paul.