Was this a Helicycle as depicted in the story?

Yeah we saw that here back just after it happened. Never was any talk here about it. And if it was mention it goes away pretty fast for some reason.. Be careful talking bad about one , you could come up missing... just saying.. LOL!!!

I am just curious if anyone knows what might have happened. Unfortunately, in aviation, you learn a lot about things post accident. Tragic regardless.

I am just curious if anyone knows what might have happened. Unfortunately, in aviation, you learn a lot about things post accident. Tragic regardless.

You are 100% correct. Interesting NTSB report says there were two flying together... Who was in the other one???

NTSB Identification: WPR14FA167
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, April 13, 2014 in Reno, NV
Aircraft: CHRISTOPHER W SANDS HELICYCLE, registration: N78CS
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On April 13, 2014, about 1209 Pacific daylight time, an experimental amateur built Sands Helicycle, N78CS, was substantially damaged when it impacted terrain while maneuvering near the Reno-Stead Airport (RTS), Reno, Nevada. The helicopter was registered to and operated by the pilot under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. The student pilot, sole occupant of the single-seat helicopter, sustained fatal injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the local personal flight which originated from RTS at an undetermined time.

Witnesses located adjacent to the accident site observed two helicopters fly along a taxiway about 15 feet above ground level (agl) on a southerly heading. The helicopters began a left turn to an easterly heading while ascending to about 500 feet agl. As both helicopters turned to a northerly heading, the lead helicopter began to "pull away" from the second helicopter. Witnesses stated that the second helicopter suddenly pitched downward towards the ground. Subsequently, the helicopter impacted terrain about 1,425 feet northeast of the threshold of runway 32.

Examination of the helicopter by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed that the helicopter came to rest on its left side in an open area. All major structural components of the helicopter were located at the accident site. The wreckage was recovered to a secure location for further examination.
Index for Apr2014 | Index of months

The info I have is from Vertical Magazines Dailey news. My condolences to his family and friends. Arnie thanks for the link on the forum. Missed it before.

Who signed it off?????????

Hi John .... I probably should have said it was a new machine that had just gone through the final factory checkout.

I didn't save the link , but there was a good discussion somewhere by his friends and fellow pilots etc.

The guy lived life to the fullest , fast cars & boats and then started flying helicopters. I think he was a banker by trade.

Before they found out it was a fatal his buddies joked ... " oh no , he has gone and broken every bone in his body again " .... He was popular and well liked .

edit ... found the Ferrari owners link
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/california-nevada-northern/444045-xsssive-rip.html

Last edited:
Arnie. I watched all his videos. He was a good guy and will be missed by all. Still I want to know some things. Like who did the factory check out? Another question, did it have the old style engine mounts or the new ones? Did this machine get into the SHAKE SHAKE thing like Todd's?

Single Seat and Federal Money

Single Seat and Federal Money

If I get killed in my Mini-500, I don`t expect much from the NTSB or FAA. Unless I hurt another person, they`ll wrap it up in a few minutes and write a vaguely worded report.

Sounds like the two machines may have interacted? Maybe the front one blew the back one down?

accidents are a combo of man, machine and wx. you will need a crystal ball to really know what happen. 80% of the time it is pilot error. 80% of the time people survive. be safe and try to make good decisions out there.