Warp Drive

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
I wouldn't mess with the rotor pitch, mike. When it heats up your rotor rpm will increase anyway. You'll be chasing rpm every season. Your rpms look fine to me. The latest manual says so. Some like higher rpms because it makes for smoother flight yes...but your prerotation will take longer.

Ronnie L

Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
450hrs
Hi
My Engine RPM is 5200 full throttle in the climb and 4250/4350 cruise @75mph.
Rotor RPM 325 ish dual.
Very interested in Steves info on smoother flying with higher Rotor RPM.
Does this help with cabin hop?
I have vitually no stick shake but do have cabin hop.

Thanks

Ronnie
RAF 2000 with tail G-BYIN

willisbr

Aircraft
I don't believe so Ronnie. I think the hop may be caused by over tightening the top 1/2 bolt that goes through the rubber mast bushing, a deteriorated bushing, or a rotor smoothness issue. How old are your blades? The older ones are favored by some veteran RAF pilots I've talked to because of their less rigid feel in flight. I've never experienced this hop, only read about it.

Ronnie L

Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
450hrs
Hi Brian

My blades are the tip weighted ones with the black leading edges.
I am careful not to over tighten the upper mast attachment bolt and have just renewed the mast bushing from one bought from Paul Patterson.
The cabin hop isn't severe by any means but I would like to improve it.
So if there is a solution I would be happy to try.

Thanks

Ronnie

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
I don't believe you can ever totally get rid of the cabin shake, nature of the beast.

Flew today and watched the rotor RPM, it is between 320 and 330. Didn't get a chance to check the prop pitch today, still have to do that.

willisbr

Aircraft
Maybe Eben can chyme in since he has flown many set ups. I have only flown ib mine and Dofin's and don't think I know cabin hop. Maybe there is slight and I don't know better. I would have to fly one that you say hops. My rotors are same as yours Ronnie. Does with doors on and off? Does it hop in sequence with rotor revolutions??