Warning about Sport Copter, Inc. from Aero-News Network 05-01-24

Continued positive support from Sportcopter as early as today. Not sure why the "Moderator" is not sticking to "Moderating".

Victor
Why is allowing someone to post a news article from a reputable publication considered “not moderating”? I’m sure if the article was positive there would be no problem. I know Jim personally and wish he and his family nothing but positive things. I however, also have no problem with this being posted here. Life isn’t always roses and daisies.

Continued positive support from Sportcopter as early as today.
So, you would recommend that anybody interested in an M2 gyro should place a $60,000 deposit on one?
Is that your position?

Not sure why the "Moderator" is not sticking to "Moderating".
Not sure why you believe that he is not. He quoted an aviation e-zine announcement.

Hi
Ethical company in light aviation means simply dealing with an ethical leader. You simply need to check with existing customers. It isn't uncommon to be late on delivery. We certainly have been specially when I could not get even avionics without a 6 month delay or could not buy Plexiglass to make canopies for almost a full year during Covid but we delivered everything that was paid in full.

About the Bankruptcy Re-org being a solution if the company is not too far gone
Well, Vans Aircraft as best as I know is over $25 million in debt. Is that too far gone. Seems not. They did a Re-org, raised their prices big time and are back and people are ordering.
Agreed! I guess that is the real question here with Sport Copter, i.e., whether they are merely afflicted with personal and business issues, or if unethical behaviour has been present. I expect www.aero-news.net will try to answer that.

VANS RV was not too far gone for a re-org bankruptcy "defib." They enjoy a reputation for actual production, and seem to have managerial talent on board. Also, there is no question about the founder's ethics. I wish them success.

Last edited:
Continued positive support from Sportcopter as early as today. Not sure why the "Moderator" is not sticking to "Moderating".
WOW, so your opinion is that anything positive about Sport Copter should be removed?

Last edited:
WOW, so your opinion is that anything positive about Sport Copter should be removed?

There are going to be positive and negative things about each manufacturer and brand. That includes us at SilverLight Aviation.
I have been informed various times that some people have tried to spread rumors that we were out of business because I was in the middle of negotiations to buy all shares of the company back and bring in the airplanes designed to expand the product offering. I also laid off staff that were not performing where they should and outsourced those operations to become more efficient. That isn’t going out of business. That is making sure we don’t because of slackers. A sale back to founder with a bit of slowdown is not going out of business. But that was the rumor. It did not spread at RWF because here I could correct it because I have the truth. Moderator could not hide the truth. Trying to blame the moderator is quite out of line.

If y’all don’t have a real dog in this fight…. Why not just let the grown ups involved make their own decisions on when and if to put deposits down or how they spend their money?
Geez……as the say in that universally loved Disney movie Frozen…..🎼”Let it go…..let it go” 🙄😏
I know somebody who’s getting a really nice gyro soon. 😊

The long list of gyro-manufacturers/dealer nefarious actors ALL have faithful supporters and very injured parties - history WILL show who will join the Dirt-list ...Fetters, Doc Bailey,Jim Fields, Larry Neal , ......

The long list of gyro-manufacturers/dealer nefarious actors ALL have faithful supporters and very injured parties - history WILL show who will join the Dirt-list ...Fetters, Doc Bailey,Jim Fields, Larry Neal , ......

Doc Bailey!!!
He was in gyroplane industry. I thought he was only in the airplane world
He tried to represent D motor for a couple of years.
I know according to him, all the work I did for certification on Searey and American Legend was all thanks to guidance he provided to me. The problem was I had said hi to the guy at airshows twice.

Doc Bailey!!!
He was in gyroplane industry. I thought he was only in the airplane world
He tried to represent D motor for a couple of years.
I know according to him, all the work I did for certification on Searey and American Legend was all thanks to guidance he provided to me. The problem was I had said hi to the guy at airshows twice.
INDEED - Doc B was in KC - at the time, (2010) and tried to sell us one of his 2 nasty (but sexy-looking) UFO death-trap gyros he had somehow acquired! (A convoluted and VERY suspect story!). Luckily - we smelled a rat and didn't pay him any $$$s!

That year Jim Fields was also hawking his "best-ever stable" Honey-beeG2 gyros at Oshkosh - & my Jim was sorely tempted!

I nixed those HBG2's - as too new in the arena ...we eventually went with Butterfly - as Larry seemed to have a reasonable track record and happy customers, and he was fairly close to us - for those week-end commutes!

Sport Copter was WAY too far from us and SC2 was still being endlessly modified! (AND the $$$s equation was ridiculous!)

I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with SportCopter. I ordered a complete rotor assembly and it was delivered in 6 months. The first set of rotors were damaged on the delivery truck and when I called him to let him know he told me to not accept the delivery and he immediately started work on a new set of rotors for me which were delivered. Granted I didn’t purchase a new machine from them. I wish Jim and his company all the best and hope they will be able to reorganize and get back on their feet and get the waiting customers their product.

I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with SportCopter. I ordered a complete rotor assembly and it was delivered in 6 months.
A 6-month delivery time for their rotor seems excessive.

Given your positive review, are you comfortable recommending others to place a $60,000 deposit on an M2? Would you?
That is what this thread is really about, versus occasionally getting parts for the M912 and rotors for the RAF.

A 6-month delivery time for their rotor seems excessive.

Given your positive review, are you comfortable recommending others to place a $60,000 deposit on an M2? Would you?
That is what this thread is really about, versus occasionally getting parts for the M912 and rotors for the RAF.
I believe it’s up to the purchaser to decide if they want to make the deposit not. Why should anyone else be worried about it?
I’m just tired of people running their traps when they have no dog in the fight. Geez….. grow up already 🙄

I believe it’s up to the purchaser to decide if they want to make the deposit not. Why should anyone else be worried about it?
I’m just tired of people running their traps when they have no dog in the fight. Geez….. grow up already 🙄
Just for fun. Would you be so objective, if it was your son trying to buy ... But , I have nothing, but the most exceptional experience in dealing/buying with SportCopter for many, many years. Although, I understand, it won't help much to anybody, who lost their money and hope.

Just for fun. Would you be so objective, if it was your son trying to buy ... But , I have nothing, but the most exceptional experience in dealing/buying with SportCopter for many, many years. Although, I understand, it won't help much to anybody, who lost their money and hope.
I know Jim. I’ve never had issues with him. Problem is we have so many here that just like to type junk that have no connection or dealings with him…..just running on and on.
The world is still buyer beware. Let the grown-ups make their own decisions.

And I am just tired of SC friends and non-M2 customers posting powder-puff reviews as if all were well with the company.

They do a disservice to the gyro public, who otherwise could be beguiled into making a likely futile hefty deposit on a model which hasn't been delivered to customers in 2.5 years since its alleged "production" date of 12/2021.

Caveat emptor indeed.

Last edited:
I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with SportCopter. I ordered a complete rotor assembly and it was delivered in 6 months. The first set of rotors were damaged on the delivery truck and when I called him to let him know he told me to not accept the delivery and he immediately started work on a new set of rotors for me which were delivered.
You waited 5 months for the first set, and then ("after many emails") another 8 months for the replacement set (and your cheek plates).
Your "allegedly my rotors are in the box" seems to convey incredulity after those 8 months.

Finally heard back from SportCopter after many emails and allegedly my rotors are in the box ready to ship and the cheek plates I’ve been waiting months for will finally be done on Friday. Hopefully they will ship sometime next week. Would love to start working on the upper portion.
Finally my new Sportcopter rotor blades and cheek plates will be delivered tomorrow. Its been 13 months since my original order and 8 months since they had to send me a new set due to damage in shipping in the first set.

Last edited:
And I am just tired of SC friends and non-M2 customers posting powder-puff reviews as if all were well with the company.

They do a disservice to the gyro public, who otherwise could be beguiled into making a likely futile hefty deposit on a model which hasn't been delivered to customers in 2.5 years since its alleged "production" date of 12/2021.

Caveat emptor indeed.
Why do you care? Did you order an M2? Did you put a deposit down? How are YOU connected to any of the business dealings with SportCopter? Where has all of your information come from?
As I see it…… you sir…..are kind of a troll…..stirring the pot whenever you’re board just to get a rise out of someone. YOU are not doing anything to help any suitable outcome to this story.
As they say……never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes…… try going for a walk……it might clear your mind Skippy😏😊

As they say……never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes…… try going for a walk……it might clear your mind Skippy😏😊
Forgive this tangential attempt at humor -

Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes - - because then, he's a mile away and barefoot.

Thanks to folks posting independent reviews that are available to prospective customers, one is in a better position to make an informed decision whether to throw good money after bad. Just my thoughts, and nothing to do with any company in particular.

Guys if customers hadn’t put their negative posts on the Vans forum the situation MAY never have improved. Gyros are now (my opinion) in the “expensive” category. It’s imperative that we alert our fellow gyronuts of issues with companies so they can make an informed decision on purchase. No one wants to see a company fail. However, no one wants to see a gyro version of the Bede5 take place.
I have no skin in the game with Rotor X, formally Rotorway, Mustang Aeronautics, JV, or any others. What I do have are many friends who are building or asking me about companies. I can point them to articles on Rotor X, tell them about guys who paid and have been waiting up to seven years for their parts from Mustang and mention the article about Jim. What they do after they ask and I tell is their business. I believe we do the community a disservice by not making these issues transparent. I believe we shouldn’t embellish the problems but we should simply be truthful about the issues. I would rather walk into a deal with my eyes open then learn later everyone knew about a problem but me.