Wagtail Aviation

Good day John and Mike, thank you for the kind words. Mike, we are looking forward to integrating your principles and system on the manned and autonomous fleet as we go forward.
John I am busy working on the press release. We are just busy with so many projects that I want to share..
With all the sensors (at least 20) being downloaded and interpreted in real time, the low level collision avoidance system (Power and telephone lines, trees, birds, etc) real-time tracking, condition and trend monitoring amongst others. The Trojan has enough excess power and would be safe, easy to fly and cost effective to operate.
She was designed using FAR 21 CERTIFICATION PROCEDURES FOR PRODUCTS AND ARTICLES as well as FAR 27 AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: NORMAL CATEGORY ROTORCRAFT. We are currently busy with the Part 24 process in South Africa. This is around, Airworthiness Standards: Non-type Certificated Aircraft. After discussions with the FAA this will be a good foundation data pack when we start interacting with them as an authority.
There are a few European Gyrocopter Manufacturers currently entering the US market. We have experience flying with the 30 ft rotor and Rotax 914 engine in hot and high conditions. After the accumulation of a few thousand hours on those machines with our Team, AND the South African legislation / regulations allowing you to fly up to a 2 ton MAUW gyro. This led Johan von Ludwig and his Team to design the Trojan. The Trojan is fitted with a basic Subaru 2.5 T engine delivering 260 hp through a five bladed propeller. She is also equipped with a 36 ft rotor, This leading to a Take off weight of around a Ton.
The Trojan equipped with the above mentioned equipment assists with failure prediction and maintenance planning, this allowing you to plan the finances....
We are looking forward to continue interacting and once we have been contacted by enthusiast shareholders, plan on setting up the initial Base close to Fort Worth in Texas.
May you all have a safe and flying weekend.
Braam

Good day All. I trust you are doing well and keeping safe. We are entering interesting times and one can use this time, to re-asses and baseline your future plans. Herewith a link to what is happening in African Aviation.
We are continuing our designs and interactions with various authorities to ensure we keep on moving forward.
Be safe and use the time available wisely.
Greetings
Braam Hechter

Who is the supplier of the new rotorblade, it looks familiar and similar to my blades from Phoenix Rotorcraft also known as Swiss Toolcraft.

Good day Capt'n Gator. We had the dies cut and then the blades extruded by whom ever had the spare capacity. Some of our blades are extruded locally by Huletts. Does your blade have a 230mm or 9 inch cord. We were looking for suppliers for such a size blade, when we planned on upgrading.

Good day Capt'n Gator. We had the dies cut and then the blades extruded by whom ever had the spare capacity. Some of our blades are extruded locally by Huletts. Does your blade have a 230mm or 9 inch cord. We were looking for suppliers for such a size blade, when we planned on upgrading.
My chord is 8.25 inches, I believe the blades were extruded in Malaysia.

Hello Braam,

Can you please give us some specifications on your EJ25 powered Kriek Mk lV? Empty and gross weights, rotor diameter, cockpit width, fuselage length, cruise speed.

Thank you,

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_7812m2_800.jpg
    IMG_7812m2_800.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 73
Good day All.
I have not been on the site for a while.
Wayne, i will revert back to you with the specifications as was requested. We have assembled a few gyroplanes as projects to test a few concepts. The Kriek was one of them we have various configurations, this being from the Rotax 9 series, up to the Subaru series with up to 240 hp. We had the Kriek in the nose wheel and tail dragger configuration. We then took the best properties to start the Trojan Gyroplane. There was a requirement in the commercial world for a Gyroplane that has a MAUW of 780 kg in the tandem configuration. We therefore focused on the Trojan and stopped work on the Kriek. We are currently busy with some other interesting projects. One of them being able to use the spin-up system to pre-rotate up to a high rotor RPM. This in order to have a reduce take-off run.

Good day Wolfy.
Thank you.
Herewith attached photos of the Hydraulic Pre-rotator at our rotor test stand. She is fitted with 2 x hydraulic pumps. This in order to speed up the pre-rotation as well as to assist with rotor braking, in the event that this is required.

Attachments

• Pre-rotator Twinpack Resize.jpg
    Pre-rotator Twinpack Resize.jpg
    653 bytes · Views: 31
I have been fairly quiet on this side. The current activities are,
1. We have tested the 6m (19.6ft) rotor with a 210 mm (8.2 inches) chord.
2. We have received rotors with the 260 mm (10.2 inches) cord for test and evaluation purposes.
3. The order was placed for the manufacturing of the 300 mm (11.8 inches) cord rotor blades.
A test rig was also assembled to assemble, test and balance the complete rotor on the ground and then just fit it to the gyro for flight trails.

The Engine Control Unit (ECU) has also been upgraded and the gyro has approx. 15 additional sensors in the various systems. The way forward is dronizing the Trojans and initiate remote autonomous operations.

On another note, we have a few Trojans that were used as test platforms / gyroplanes, to test specific requirements. These projects have been concluded and the gyros have been taken back to the standard configuration. They are available, and for sale. Discussions was held with the FAA and the machines can be exported to the USA. We would like to establish a footprint in the US. We are planning to establish a base in Fort Worth in Texas. This to start looking at getting involved with crop spraying. we would like to reach out and interact with members that want, or can assist.

We are also assembling a few Trojans for the Agricultural role in South Africa. This for wet and dry works, depending on the season. Some of the intended applications are crop-splashing, the application of pesticide, aerial-baiting and spreading of fertilizer as aerial topdressing.

Braam Rob Placek is showing much interest in the product and we are in communication with him, one of the concerns is the weight of Trojan? With regards to the FAA & LSA licensing, to fly it under sport pilot regs and not Ppl G regs,..it would be great if we can clear this up, there is little doubt that Trojan with it’s simple effective construction methods that enable a owner to repair without welding will be seen as a big draw card,

Greg, thank you for the question. The Trojan is a modular design and can be assembled and registered as owner built. The owner can decide how he wants to specify the Trojan. This will establish the basic empty weight leading to the MAUW. The owner can acquire basic instruments, basic engine installation, basic hydraulic system, fuel tank size, etc. The weight gain is with the installation of role or mission specific equipment as well as preparing the platform for high altitude flying etc. This being the turbo, intercooler, additional coolers and client equipment.
We basically interact with the client and then understand under which FAA regulations he wants to operate. We plan on using the EXPERIMENTAL category. See https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-27G.pdf
The aircraft category, utilization and personnel license, basically runs, hand in hand.
Rob can send me a private mail, i can then place him in contact with the FAA members that i am interacting with.

As of 8/25/2021 in the USA for an FAA certificated Sport Pilot, Gyroplane pilot to fly a Light Sport gyroplane the maximum takeoff weight 1,320 pounds.

The propeller needs to be ground adjustable.

There is a list of tasks to be completed by the builder to meet the 51% rule for Experimental, Amateur built.

An FAA certificated Private Pilot, Rotorcraft/Gyroplane has no weight restrictions, no propeller restrictions and no rotor restrictions.

As of 8/25/2021 in the USA for an FAA certificated Sport Pilot, Gyroplane pilot to fly a Light Sport gyroplane the maximum takeoff weight 1,320 pounds.

The propeller needs to be ground adjustable.

There is a list of tasks to be completed by the builder to meet the 51% rule for Experimental, Amateur built.

An FAA certificated Private Pilot, Rotorcraft/Gyroplane has no weight restrictions, no propeller restrictions and no rotor restrictions.

Vance, thank you most kindly for clarifying this. I appreciate your input. We must look at meeting up. I have much to learn...

We have just received our first upgraded test rotor with a wider cord. This to improve lift, etc.
The lift remains equal to the weight lifted, right?
In this case, increasing the chord of the blades will only decrease the rotation speed for the same lift.

We would think so the friction losses will decrease.
But this would be forgetting that to keep the same coning, heavier blades will be needed, which will increase the induced losses.
In the end the gain is lost or even worse

In my opinion, the optimal chord corresponds to an aspect ratio of blade (Radius / Chord) of about 20
More, then losses by compressibility start to appears

Last edited:
Good day All.
I have not been on the site for a while.
Wayne, i will revert back to you with the specifications as was requested. We have assembled a few gyroplanes as projects to test a few concepts. The Kriek was one of them we have various configurations, this being from the Rotax 9 series, up to the Subaru series with up to 240 hp. We had the Kriek in the nose wheel and tail dragger configuration. We then took the best properties to start the Trojan Gyroplane. There was a requirement in the commercial world for a Gyroplane that has a MAUW of 780 kg in the tandem configuration. We therefore focused on the Trojan and stopped work on the Kriek. We are currently busy with some other interesting projects. One of them being able to use the spin-up system to pre-rotate up to a high rotor RPM. This in order to have a reduce take-off run.
Did you come up with the specifications for the EJ25 powered Kriek Mk lV? Empty and gross weights, rotor diameter, cockpit width, fuselage length, cruise speed. I'm still curious

Thanks,

Wayne

The lift remains equal to the weight lifted, right?
In this case, increasing the chord of the blades will only decrease the rotation speed for the same lift.

We would think so the friction losses will decrease.
But this would be forgetting that to keep the same coning, heavier blades will be needed, which will increase the induced losses.
In the end the gain is lost or even worse

In my opinion, the optimal chord corresponds to an aspect ratio of blade (Radius / Chord) of about 20
More, then losses by compressibility start to appears
Yup like 8.6 meters rotor blade to 8.5 inches chord

We are currently busy with some other interesting projects. One of them being able to use the spin-up system to pre-rotate up to a high rotor RPM. This in order to have a reduce take-off run.
Many manufacturers have believed this, but accurate measurements and complete theory show that it is not so. The strong pre-launch shorts little the run.

Below, the run distances measured precisely on Cierva C30.(ref ARC report1859 table 5)

Sans titre.png
The explanation is that the speed induced by the rotation of the rotor delays the moment when the flow becomes self-rotating. During this time, the rrpm continues to decrease, and the rotor drag much more reduces the forward acceleration.