Vortex M912 build

Sport Copter came through for me

Sport Copter came through for me

Just a note here about the great customer service that I just received from Jim Vanek and Sport Copter.

A small design flaw was exposed by my "off airport" landings and take offs in some very rough ground. Two small steel parallel brackets that hold the wheel alignment turn buckles could not take this rough treatment and bent down because of the leverage. A call to Jim revealed that he was aware of the problem and asked that I just send the gear legs to him and he would replace them with the new design that added a steel top piece that changed the bracket from parallel to a box. I received the new gear legs almost by return mail. I am very pleased. My original plan was to weld on the additional pieces myself, but his method comes brand new and power coated. This makes the Vortex M912 the perfect off field gyro.

35 hours of test flying with 5 more to go.

Got a curiosity question for ya: Who made the brackets for your PTO wheel that powers your prerotator, the attachment to your PSRU? Very shiney and nice looking, too. I never paid much attention to this thread before. Is it aluminum?

We did Greg. Everything you see except the engine, tires, instruments.....we make all of it. We powder coat, anodise, plate, or otherwise protect the materials that are laser cut, CNC, or somehow fabricated with the latest technology.
We try very hard to be the best. That's why we don't have issues. When a problem arises, we try to take care of it immediately.

Last edited:
Just to update my experiences with my Vortex. I hauled it back to the factory the last week of June to add upgrades that Jim Vanek has designed, including a prerotator brake to kick out the bendix after prerotation. I have had a problem with it staying in, and I am glad to say, no problems since the upgrade. Also, Jim came up with a grease zerk in the top of the bendix shaft so you can apply grease under the bendix without taking it all apart. I also installed a louver on the radiator so I can close off the air in flight during colder weather. This replaces the off airport landings to remove some duck tape that did a good job of keeping the oil temperature up. Now the oil temp goes to 200 f on hot days, so I am very pleased. Birdy will be glad to know, I installed a smaller radiator.
Jim did not like the scratches in the wind screen that came from wearing a helmet, so we changed that out. Don't wear a helmet anymore.

I can not say enough about the great customer service that a person receives from Sport Copter. They are very very busy, but I did a lot of my own work, then Evan give me a lot of his time. Jon made sure my blades were in balance. Everyone at Sport Copter is great including Jim's sons and daughter who worked together all the while I was there. It's a family place.

I write this two months after being there and the memory is still fresh.

60 hours and counting. I usually fly every morning before it gets hot, but miss a few. Flying keeps life exciting and a reason to get up in the morning.

Sweet machine and enjoy hearing how you fly her.

Thanks for sharing!