Viking Engines

DonBishop

Aircraft
Mooney M20J
Total Flight Time
1200 hours
Anybody have any experience with the Viking line of engines? I'm looking at the 195hp turbo. Since I live at the base of the Sierra Mountains, I could use the ponies and the turbo, but don't have much information on them other than what is on the website. The Zenith user groups seem to have installed the 135 and 150 hp versions, so not much meat there either.

Several videos of apparently happy users of the Honda Accord/CR-V engine in airplane use. Admittedly, these come from Viking's own web pages...

An option might be to find a rental car agency that uses those models, & aggressively drive one to experience the turbo/power. Perhaps Zipcar if it's too hard to find one of the big rental agencies. They have one operating in LA, as well as Portland. I know it's a bit far from the Sierra foothills...

Last edited:
Talk to Joe Pires ... he uses one on his 2 place Aviomania!

He had some interesting moments with teething problems but I believe he's happy with it now.

I’ve got the 130 on my Outback gyro….. absolutely perfect!! Quiet and smooth with lots of power. Excellent service from Viking!!
Tell them Barry sent you! 😁AE30DA4C-CD84-4567-B2C1-69CB268DFC1E.jpeg

What is the weight compared to the 915is? Didn’t Mark try a Viking engine?

Last edited:
I’ve got the 130 on my Outback gyro….. absolutely perfect!! Quiet and smooth with lots of power. Excellent service from Viking!!
Tell them Barry sent you! 😁
Good to know! Jan has an internet reputation for being a bit gruff. Seems like the customer service aspects may have been worked out.

How many hours do you have on the engine?

I’ve got about 30 but Joe Piers has many more.

Anybody have any experience with the Viking line of engines? I'm looking at the 195hp turbo. Since I live at the base of the Sierra Mountains, I could use the ponies and the turbo, but don't have much information on them other than what is on the website. The Zenith user groups seem to have installed the 135 and 150 hp versions, so not much meat there either.
Don, do you have a Sport copter M2 or did you photo shop your Avitar?

Barry: I once again viewed that large photo you posted of your Tango gyro when I noticed the words on your rudder. What a tribute to someone who obviously had the respect of many!
(y)(y)
Also, two batteries?
And, is that one of Scott Essex's trim adjusters?

Last edited:
Don, do you have a Sport copter M2 or did you photo shop your Avitar?
I am in the line up to get the M2 and was able to choose my color. Production has started! The next step is to chose my engine (Rotax 915iS or Viking 195 turbo) and instruments.

Any photos with doors on? How does it fly with the doors on? Does it have enough rudder area to counter forces if it slips slightly during cruise? Usually more of an issue with tandems than side by sides… Is there much of a difference in price with 915 vs Viking engine? Do you know if it can cruise at 95mph with these engines? This would be my choice for gyro after owning an M912 too.

Any photos with doors on? How does it fly with the doors on? Does it have enough rudder area to counter forces if it slips slightly during cruise? Usually more of an issue with tandems than side by sides… Is there much of a difference in price with 915 vs Viking engine? Do you know if it can cruise at 95mph with these engines?
I don't have the answers to your questions. I know Jim spent a great deal of time modifying, testing, and perfecting the tail, but since I have not had the chance to fly it, can't answer how it flies with doors or in a slip. The difference in HP between the engines is all I can tell you about engines. My question is how reliable is the Viking? Rotax has its' share of issues, but I don't know that much about the Viking other than what is on their website.

Barry: I once again viewed that large photo you posted of your Tango gyro when I noticed the words on your rudder. What a tribute to someone who obviously had the respect of many!
(y)(y)
Also, two batteries?
And, is that one of Scott Essex's trim adjusters?
Hey Kevin……yes…..Alex was a big lovable bear and gone way too soon. I miss him every time I fly it! We talked about developing an OutBack version of the Tango. I had 2 batteries so I used them……was going to go with a 2 speed electric pre-rotator but I wanted 2 things in this gyro…..simple systems and no zip-ties! (I love zip-ties)😳……so……now I can pre-rotate longer😁……..and no zip-ties on the airframe……all wiring is ran through carbon fiber tubing. 👍🏻171E2F00-982E-4F3B-9010-14262E8F7223.jpegTango 01.jpegTango02.jpeg