Video of my engine out

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582, 2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
529 hours
A big Thank You to Dan McCarthy for the video.

Things happen fast when it all goes quiet. I felt it going as I started to turn to land, it dropped faster than I thought it would.

Somebody must still want me around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd7xJV3nOsA

Wow! That shook the frame a bit when it locked. Glad you had your wits about you. Glad you're safe and sound.

Thanks Glenn, it did shake good.

Dave's Engine Out Landing & Gabby in Mike Burton's Cavalon

Dave's Engine Out Landing & Gabby in Mike Burton's Cavalon

Hi Dave!

Your landing was so smooth I thought for a minute, "Now why is he landing way over there..." duh...then the "Karuunch!" sound made it to our campsite and we realized it was a rather abrupt landing and we figured it out..."Oh my god, his engine stopped!"..

But it didn't stop me from letting my daughter take her first gyrcopter ride ever in Mike Burton's Cavalon, here is a link to the video if anyone wants to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6twqMFij3w

Dan McCarthy

Therein lies the beauty of always being in autorotation. Nice job ! I don't think a helicopter would have worked as smooth from that same altitude. Certainly would have required a lot more flailing about. Love the coffee maker running off the inverter by the way.

Do most 2-stroke gyro guys bother to install EGT's and CHT's on their engines?

If your odiot enuf to go all the way to 2000'( .............sh.t, my nose is bleedn agin), you deserve a dead donk. ;)

Do most 2-stroke gyro guys bother to install EGT's and CHT's on their engines?

Yes they do, but usually when a 2 stroke wants to quit, it does, like right now, I have had them slowly loose power and shut off, but every time I have had an engine out, it never showed up on the gauges. Excetion of my arctic cat, the temp gauge went up and I shut it off and landed in a horse pasture, the water pump belt had shreaded, no harm done.
The Hirth, Rotax, both just decided to crap out instantly. The arrow blew a head gasket. The arctic cat kept running when I blew a hole in the piston, no power but it was running, at least that one time. The other time it ran like hell and then went quiet. EGT's all normal.
Usually the engine stops, and then you look at the gauges. :)

Been there - done that!!!
Good save, looks like a bit of a down wind landing

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, yes I do have EGT's on all cylinders. They did not change, the rpm did drop about 2 seconds before it went quiet. I was turning to set up for a landing, from now on I will stay a little higher turning to final.

Great save Dave! How many engine outs do you have now? Thanks for sending me the link :)

Saving it when your that low to the ground is not easy, great job!

If your odiot enuf to go all the way to 2000'( .............sh.t, my nose is bleedn agin), you deserve a dead donk. ;)

Nothing idiotic about it. Since I have been at this and some other forums (2 years) I have counted 12 accidents running into wires, trees or even the top of a house. Now that is idiotic. Flying 300 feet higher would have been a bit wiser

Last edited:
2 strokes run good while they run

2 strokes run good while they run

Thanks Guys, yes I do have EGT's on all cylinders. They did not change, the rpm did drop about 2 seconds before it went quiet. I was turning to set up for a landing, from now on I will stay a little higher turning to final.

2 strokes run good while they run and then they quit. That's how the saying goes. With 2 strokes, you have to always think about landing. Not that you should not with 4 strokes but generally speaking 4 strokes run rough, sputter, get hot while running and give you warning before quitting. Thankfully you were at a huge dry lake bed with a runway all around you. Fly safe and may be stay away from the Mac attack.

Last edited:
Dave - Good quick reactions getting it down. Those Mac attacks found me down exactly 10 times in my 90 Mac. Bean fields several times, pasture, water ways, US state highway 45!, and the easiest one over my hone airport runway.

Those engine outs were a good teacher....dont trust any engine completely.

That is #5, 4 Mac attacks and 1 582 cold seizure.

They will get your heart pumping.

You did good. I'd try to find a super Mac for it. Much more dependable.

an unsuported fantasy.

an unsuported fantasy.

2 strokes run good while they run and then they quit. That's how the saying goes. With 2 strokes, you have to always think about landing. Not that you should not with 4 strokes but generally speaking 4 strokes run rough, sputter, get hot while running and give you warning before quitting. Thankfully you were at a huge dry lake bed with a runway all around you. Fly safe and may be stay away from the Mac attack.

In my opinion Abid, your fantasy is the source of many poorly executed engine out landings.

In my opinion four stroke engines can become useless very suddenly too.

I find value in planning for the engine to go suddenly quiet at any moment during a flight.

I find it easy to become complacent with the wonderfully reliable engines available today.

I work to stay alert for places to land when the engine goes quiet because likely someday it will.

David Bird spends his gyroplane flight hours very near the ground and finds excess altitude disquieting.

I like a little altitude when flying cross country and generally fly between 500 and 1,500 feet above the ground depending on the suitability of the terrain for landing. Both the gyroplanes I fly have four stroke engines.

I try not to limit my fun based on trepidation about the engine going quiet and yet I work to mitigate my overconfidence about engine reliability.

Thank you, Vance