Very Sad.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
There seems to have been a fatal gyroplane crash Saturday 4/3/2010 near the airport in Huamacao, Puerto Rico.

It is registered with the FAA as a Hallman Sporster with a Lycoming O-320 to Luciano Cruz Edison A Alcaniz.

The airworthiness date is listed as 11/18/2009.

Our last fatal flying gyroplane accident was 4/19/2008, almost two years ago. This seems like progress. When I started flying gyroplanes there were typically four fatal accidents per year.

Please, lets all work to be safe pilots.

Thank you, Vance

Caribean_gyro

Platinum Member
Yes It was a hollman with a modified enclosue. was an old scorpi cabin. Widn was turbulent and he didnt have enought power to gain altitude. Pilot decided to turn down wind and machine sinc. Attitude was a normal 45' nose down. looks he was trying to gain or mantained speed. Machine didnt flare. It this moment too many speculation from, wind shear , "tucking under" etc.

We are just getting ready for our good by to him this week. The evalaute, deal with the grief and bad press.

Charles Peterson

Friendly

Platinum Member
I was thinking Sunday, no fatal accidents with all the spring "time to fly again" activity. I am sorry for his family. May they all find peace in this sad sad time.

PTKay

Gold Member
From the other thread:

Originally Posted by MikeBoyette
Miguel,
Good looking machine but, I want to let you know something. I assume that is a body off a Scorpion. I have tell you there is a gentelman here in the US named Helicopter ED. He installed on of those on a gyro and he ended up flipping in mid air. The body has flat spots on it that cause negative pressure on it which causes it to tuck. Your friend may not have a problem because of the big horizontal stablizer. Just wanted to let you know. There maybe others here that remember the details better than I do. It was in the early 1980's and I was very young so I don't remember the pariticulars.

Unfortunately very similar "45 nose down".... :(

Yes It was a hollman with a modified enclosue. was an old scorpi cabin. Widn was turbulent and he didnt have enought power to gain altitude. Pilot decided to turn down wind and machine sinc. Attitude was a normal 45' nose down. looks he was trying to gain or mantained speed. Machine didnt flare. It this moment too many speculation from, wind shear , "tucking under" etc.

We are just getting ready for our good by to him this week. The evalaute, deal with the grief and bad press.

Charles Peterson

Last edited:

okikuma

This accident was mentioned at last Saturday's meeting of PRA Chapter 1.

My deepest condolences to the Lucian family,

Wayne