Vance- Thanks for the Mentone report

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Vance- Thank you for your excellent coverage of the PRA convention at Mentone. Your writing style is so palatable and makes one feel we are morphed inside your body as you go around visiting with friends, and making new ones.

You are an accomplished writer and are very well prepared to write that coffee table book I am going to be the proud owner of someday.

The books events are in the future, but I anticipate many revisits to my coffee table, taking that book and reading about you and your lovely wife Ed's adventurous journey across the United States in the Mariah Gale.

Stan

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Bewdy!!!!

Bewdy!!!!

Vance .... that was a delightful read! More articles like that PRA's membership will soar as Rotorcraft Ezine will become a must read!
Got me inspired .... just let me get my training finished,test taken, some regular flying out of my way & I'll write away! ( Winter down-time coming up!)
Excellent job ... next year's convention numbers will soar ... as those who missed this year will make an extra effort to be part of the good times/wonderful fellowship!

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Vance- As you know I am very passionate about my love for flying a helicopter. I would write more articles about it, but it just doesn't seem to go with the grain of gyroplane pilots. I love reading others passionate experiences flying their gyroplanes, but it feels better to me to keep my experiences much more to myself than I have in the past. It just seems to me I am a square peg in a round hole.

But, this won't stop me from reading and enjoying my friends flying gyroplanes which I am so grateful to have experienced from 1985 to 2007.

Keep up the great adventures Vance!

Stan

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Thank you for the kind words Stan and Chris!

Thank you for the kind words Stan and Chris!

I didn’t remember what I had written so I just read it.

I exceeded Lisa’s word budget by 59%.

When I first wrote it the article was 300% of my allotted word count.

There was no way to describe all the wonderful things that went on and all the fun I had with the people there.

She needed to have it for her deadline so I just kept cutting away.

I sent a lot of desperate emails for details I couldn’t remember and couldn’t decipher from my copious notes. Thank you all for responding so promptly.

I left out the part about my brush with the law while on a mission for Jim to avoid further damage to my reputation.

I expected the judging to be a chore but Chris and John were great to work with and it was great to have an excuse to examine some of the wonderful creations there and talk to their creators.

Ed told me on the telephone during one of my good morning I love you calls that she liked to know what the judges liked and didn’t like about her pictures being judged at the County Fair. I started offering a debriefing to those that want to know how to do better next year. I think it headed off some potential discord.

It was a wonderful event and I was proud to be a part of it.

I try to make a little progress on the book each day and writing about the convention was good writing practice. It wouldn’t be much good to have a great adventure and not have the skills to describe it and share the fun.

Thank you, Vance

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
It was and excellent article wish I could have read 300% version.

I just discovered the word limit when they asked for my Bio.

One of the 1st emails to the BOD after elected was asking about the limit.

It's on my agenda on fixing this as about the best benefit except links to media content an eZine has is unlimited content cost about the same to PRINT except the labor to collect and editor it.

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
Great article! I love the style!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Continuing to learn.

Continuing to learn.

Thank you John.

I feel I use too many words because I fear not I will not capture to picture if I don’t describe it in detail.

Part of learning to write well is learning to paint a picture with fewer words.

This skill has eluded me and when I was editing the Mentone story I just cut out some of the vignettes.

I continue to learn with each writing experience and hope to improve on economy of words.

I am also trying to use more common words by using the thesaurus. I have Ed read it and when she doesn’t know what a word means I try to find one she is more comfortable with. This is a slow process because I feel a word like “epiphany” has more color than “I had a sudden intuitive leap of understanding.” This is also in conflict with my reduced word count.

Thank you Tim, you added a great deal to my Mentone adventure for me and added a lot to the article with your pictures.

Thank you for the lovely flight to Rochester.

I particularly enjoyed the way you managed apparent pandemonium.

Thank you, Vance

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
...I just discovered the word limit when they asked for my Bio...It's on my agenda on fixing this as about the best benefit except links to media content an eZine has is unlimited content cost about the same to PRINT except the labor to collect and editor it.
John, the point of editing is to liberate interesting content from excessive wordiness. Length limits aren't imposed just because of space restrictions. They're set to force writers to "get to the point."

If more words was always better, the IRS code and the Affordable Care Act would be battling for literary awards!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Thank you Kai!

Thank you Kai!

Glad to have you along Kai.

I had a wonderful time and I tried to share some of the fun with my friends who weren’t there.

I found joy in trying to sort out the particularly magic moments and then trying to describe them to someone who missed the event.

Thank you, Vance

Hardy

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Air Command
Total Flight Time
530 Gyro
Vance: Much thanks for your great article on this years Mentone, it helps to ease the pain for not being able to make this years convention. Thanks again, David Hardy

themonarch

Aircraft
'06 Monarch 582. 150 hrs. tt. Purchased from the builder. Please see my aircraft on Craigslist.org.
Total Flight Time
46 hrs tt. 36 hrs CFI. The additional 10 with accomplished privates. Snuck in an optional solo.
"square peg in a round hole"

"square peg in a round hole"

Stan, in no way whatsoever should you be feeling that you are being misunderstood on this forum. Your contributions, physical at Mentone and elsewhere, "cyber" here at this forum and the PRA website are truly appreciated. The contributions that you have submitted for us and on our behalf should, by now, have earned you the prestigious "square peg in a round hole" reward. Now we know! Keep your videos of flight coming, and please stay involved. We need you. ps: go easy on the staircase stuff, makes me feel inadequate. Facebook maybe? Thanks Stan.