Vance Breese stops by my stair shop

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I had the pleasure to have my dear friend Vance Breese stop by my stairshop for a visit yesterday. What an amazing person to listen to. We had a cookout with ribeyes, baked potatoes and sweet corn.

Thank you Vance for a lovely set of hours.

Attachments

• 20220801_133055.jpg
    20220801_133055.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 40

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I rolled in to Mentone Monday night from AirVenture and then headed to the Quality Inn in Rochester, IN.

I realized I was just three hours (six hours round trip) from Stan’s Stair Shop in Paxton, IL so I gave him a call Monday morning and he rearranged his schedule so we could have a nice visit.

Friends are a very precious part of life and my visit with Stan added value to my Santa Maria, CA, Oshkosh, WI (AirVenture) Mentone, IN (PRA Convention) loop.

He was kind enough to prepare lunch and as with everything Stan does; every part of the meal was exceptional and the visit was a delight.

I am grateful to have Stan for a friend even if the distance makes visits infrequent.

For those who don't know in addition to building curved stairways Stan has built and flown several gyroplanes and an amazing Helicycle.

He is a craftsman extraordinaire and an inspiration to many.

He carved that eagle from a tree with a chain saw.

Last edited:

DavePA11

I didn’t know Stan built a Helicycle too! That must have been fun. What are you flying now Stan?

What did Stan make for lunch?

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Dave.. I cooked Vance a filet-0-cow...baked potatoes, fresh sweet corn, Peaches, and carrot xake.

I am retired but having a ball building curved stairways. They are my passion...and I will be sad the day I lay down my tools. My passion for flying WA overcome by my passion for building curved stairways. I have been very fortunate in following my passions.

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
...... having a ball building curved stairways. They are my passion...and I will be sad the day I lay down my tools............. I have been very fortunate in following my passions.
You are indeed fortunate Stan. Your skill in everything you do is apparent.
I dread not being able to fly. Flying is still magic to me. I live a wonderful life also. I wake up next to the woman I love, ride my motorcycle to the airport and fly my aircraft. Life is good.
It appears that you have discovered a life balance that is enviable.

On another subject: Is the grandfather clock completely finished? Sorry if I missed a post showing the final product with the movement installed.

Last edited:

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
Stan; it always a pleasure to hear you are doing well and staying busy.

I ca not imagine anything different regarding you.

Hopefully you will continue to do well and wishing the best for wife also.

DavePA11

You are indeed fortunate Stan. Your skill in everything you do is apparent.
I dread not being able to fly. Flying is still magic to me. I live a wonderful life also. I wake up next to the woman I love, ride my motorcycle to the airport and fly my aircraft. Life is good.
It appears that you have discovered a life balance that is enviable.

On another subject: Is the grandfather clock completely finished? Sorry if I missed a post showing the final product with the movement installed.
Mayfield - so you can keep waking up next to the woman you love, can you take a car instead of the motorcycle to the airport?

My wife was just hit while cycling by SUV going 70mph driven by ex con on early parole while transitioning to a female and then drove off with My wife’s bike dragging under the SUV. Lisa spent 3 weeks in ICU and now at Craig hospital for recovery from severe brain injury. Craig also helps patients with spinal cord injury. Many patients are there due to motorcycles accidents and collisions.

Flying is safe…

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Jim...Thanks for the comments. I did just receive my clockwork from Germany that had been paid for since February...I was beginning to wonder....
But anyway, I unpacked all the parts and the clockwork reminded me of a giant Rolex watch , but this is even more expensive. I made my clockcase off of precise plans, but nothing like having the clockwork on hand to measure for certain.

So...I was a little apprehensive as I placed the works with the moondial and square polished brass that outlined it. It went in and absolutely fit perfectly. The reveal of my wood followed the circumference of the moon dial plate....
absolutely no variation. I got a tear in .y eye seeing how it looked. I will post pictures when I get it set back in the clockcase.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Jeff....Thanks also for your comment. Barbara has challenges, but I am here for her. I enjoy life wherever I can.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Mayfield - so you can keep waking up next to the woman you love, can you take a car instead of the motorcycle to the airport?

My wife was just hit while cycling by SUV going 70mph driven by ex con on early parole while transitioning to a female and then drove off with My wife’s bike dragging under the SUV. Lisa spent 3 weeks in ICU and now at Craig hospital for recovery from severe brain injury. Craig also helps patients with spinal cord injury. Many patients are there due to motorcycles accidents and collisions.

Flying is safe…
Very sorry to hear that, Dave. All best wishes for her full recovery, however long it takes.

DavePA11

Thanks Tyger!

Lisa is planned to be at Craig hospital until end of October. She has severe diffuse axonal injury which is very bad form of traumatic brain injury. Only 10% chance of coming out of the coma, but she did… She just started to be able to move her arms and legs intentionally after six weeks now. Seems her mind is starting to reconnect to her body parts. Lisa is in wheelchair now, and hasn’t been able to move anything until recently. Her endless out loud counting is slowing down too and being more responsive. She started to say some words now too. Knows all family members from photos. Just tonight found her sitting up in bed all by herself! Only issue is she is very agitated and is squirming all over the bed somewhat uncontrollable. She sat up many times like this and hard to watch. No short term memory yet. Mind is very complex… ICU costs for 3 weeks alone have been many hundreds of thousands. Glad I have good insurance, but haven’t gotten the bills yet.

Very sad since it could have been prevented by not letting career criminals out on parole a year early. The persons 10th time in prison. These current policies being implemented hurt innocent people. Would be good to be able to sue the parole board when the criminal let out early hurts more people..

At least the Judge set a very high cash bail to keep this person from hurting more people. $1m cash. I was very surprised here in Denver, but glad.

So important to wear helmets. Wish the cycling helmets were better. Air bags on cycling helmets would be good invention. Think flying gyros are safer than motorcycles since when near the ground landing typically have zero forward motion with exception on takeoff. Safer than riding bicycles on the road since you don’t have idiots driving 70mph near you.

So many spinal cord and brain injuries at Craig hospital. Would like to see the stats on the causes. Seems most are motor vehicle related and falls…

Stay safe everyone! Especially around these cities… Wear a good helmet Mayfield!

Sorry for thread drift.

Last edited:

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Nice photo of Vance with the wooden eagle; has to be a joke there about a squawk code...
We had a pair of bald eagles building a nest right by our house this spring. They built it in a rather spindly (but tall) cottonwood tree, and then a big windstorm came through and blew the whole thing down. :cautious:
By the way, when you "hear" an eagle on TV, they are usually using a red-tailed hawk call. A real bald eagle screech sounds like a cross between a seagull and a rusty hinge. Not too impressive, haha.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
No, the nest was loosely built of sticks (as they usually are) and the tree is maybe 60 ft tall and right beside a pond. If they did rebuild, they picked another spot. We still see the eagles, but have not seen a new nest.