Utah PRA Fly In !!!!!!

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Our PRA Chapter Fly In scheduled to happen June 14th is evolving and growing into what is likely to be an Incredible Event!!!!

It has come to our attention that a group of Helicopter Enthusiasts have decided it was time to start having some fun and have our own Fly In here in Utah so they have already started promoting a Helicopter Meet / Fly In for the same Weekend that we wanted to have our Activity. There meet is being held at the West Desert Airpark (UT99) just outside of Fairfield, UT. This just happens to be right across Utah Lake from what we were planning at the Spanish Fork Airport and so after discussing the matter with our Chapter Leadership we have decided, rather than compete with them we should join them.

Their Helicopter Meet has been organized by Stayton Barnes ( a soon to be Helicycle builder) and he has graciously offered to allow us to join them. As a group they are not really familiar with the PRA organization other than they thought it was an organization for Gyroplanes. This will be an excellant opportunity for us to help them all learn about the PRA and how it can help and support them also. We may be able to double or triple our numbers with a little recruiting work that weekend. There activity is planned for 2 days, both Friday and Saturday so we are going to expand out thinking and plan on spending 2 days out there also. We realize that not everyone will be able to come out for the whole 2 days but anyone that can should plan on it and those that can't are free to come to what ever portion they can make. There will be spots for RV or Tent Camping but there are no Hook Ups available. I would encourage all who can to plan on coming out on Friday as early as you can and stay until Saturday evening. There will be a caterer out there providing food and you are welcome to bring your own. I will have a grill and stove available for anyone who needs to cook something there.

There will be Flying Helicycles, Rotorways and Safari Helicopters as well as some Robinson R-22s and R-44s there. We should have one or two Sparrow Hawks and maybe a new Sport Copter and maybe a new Butterfly Aurora by then as well as Gary's Falcon. I plan to bring my Butterfly SSC although it will not be flying by then, I hope to have it drivable and street legal by then. Regardless, even if I have to trailer it in, it will be there as a display to show a project in progress. There will be several commercial Companies represented and it should be an incredibly great time. Anyone that can make it is welcome to join us. We are going to be kind of short on Gyros so it would be great if any of the Gyro community from outside of Utah could come join us. If anyone is planning to come from far away, please let me know and I will be glad to help any way I can. Information on the site is available at www.rmkplanes.com We'll see you all there!!!

Gyro Doug

Spanish Fork

Spanish Fork

Doug,
What's the EL over there?
eddie........:wave:.......

Eddie, the event will be at West Desert Airpark, 4902 feet. It's a terrific private airport with a 2600' paved strip (not gravel, as the guides say) owned by Mark Pringle, who's also a Rans dealer and runs a Rans assembly facility.

Anywhere you look in any direction, it looks like a mountain postcard. There's a community tank for 92 octane auto fuel. On weekends, lots of guys take off in their tail-draggers for remote spots in Idaho.

It oughta be a great time. It will also be a nice, do-able, 21-mile cross-country from Spanish Fork, even though it's a 373-foot uphill climb. (Spanish Fork is at 4529'.)

Sounds like a great event. Make sure you take plenty of photos and video.

Tim,

Thanks for the reminder. That is a great idea, but to implement it I think I am going to need to delegate that job. I will bring my camera too, but I can see me running around and so hectic that I forget to take any pictures. I'll have to see who I can get to volunteer to take on that responsibility. Hopefully we can post a bunch of pictures and get some forum members excited about coming out and joining us for the next one.

Gyro Doug

got our intrest

got our intrest

Tina and I are interested in joining the fun. Tell us more. Whats the weather like in June? What else do we need to bring? is a tent ok, or should we get a motel?

Tina and I are interested in joining the fun. Tell us more. Whats the weather like in June? What else do we need to bring? is a tent ok, or should we get a motel?

Dave & Tina,

We would love to have you join us. There will be places you can pitch a tent if you like or there are motels within a half hour's drive. I will be there Friday night in a tent and have a kitchen set up that you are welcome to share. Are you planning to bring your Gyros? We hope you will as we are pretty short on Gyros being a new group, but you are invited and welcome even if you can't bring anything but your selves and a desire to have fun. Feel free to e-mail me or call if you have any questions that I can help you with.

P S I forgot.. The weather should be great in June. Probably Highs around 80 degrees and lows around 50 degrees. Winds are usually light to not much.

Gyro Doug
[email protected]
(801) 628-7598 (cell #)

David Dunn (RAF 2000, Newcastle, Wyo) Dale Watts (No gyro, Kamas, UT) and I (Dominator, Gallup, New Mexico) are trying to arrange our schedule so we can attend. If we can make it, the fiddle playing will be every night until we are asked to be quite.

StanFoster

StanFoster

Doug- Congratulations on deciding to join ranks with the helicopter people. You will find them to be just as passionate about their rotors as the gyro enthusiasts are! I am fortunate to have been exposed to both sides of the fence. The helicopter people arent hardly aware of the PRA's commitment to not only gyros but also helicopters. I am getting the word out to several people, mainly Helicycle owners about the PRA and the Rotary Forum. Because of these contacts, several have logged on here. Its great that you are involved in getting both types of rotorheads together to watch how the other side enjoys 'their' way of flying. Both sides have distinct advantages over the other, so there is no best way, but what fits the individuals needs the best. Wish I could be there, sounds like lots of fun. Stan

Stan,

I wish you were going to be able to be here too. I would love to meet you in person and I won't be going to Mentone this year. But I plan to be there for 2009, so hopefully we can meet up then. It looks like we have 3 Helicycles committed so far to come to our Fly In so there would be some good new contacts for you, but I realize there is only so much you can do. Keep up the good work you do.

Gyro Doug

David Dunn (RAF 2000, Newcastle, Wyo) Dale Watts (No gyro, Kamas, UT) and I (Dominator, Gallup, New Mexico) are trying to arrange our schedule so we can attend. If we can make it, the fiddle playing will be every night until we are asked to be quite.

Hi Tom, hope you all can make it to the Utah Fly-In, I love your fiddle playing. It all sounds like a great time. I will bring my video camera and take lots of video and pictures of the event. :D

photos for fly in

photos for fly in

Doug,

I am up for photos at the flyin.

I have been swamped with building the new police department, lots to do to say the least, but is fun.

The down side is that my Sparrowhawk build is on hold till ALL the honey do's are done.

What else do we need to do to be on line in June???

Heath,

I will send you a private message.

Doug

Doug,

I am up for photos at the flyin.

I have been swamped with building the new police department, lots to do to say the least, but is fun.

The down side is that my Sparrowhawk build is on hold till ALL the honey do's are done.

What else do we need to do to be on line in June???

I should be there with the Falcon. I hoped I would be flying by then but, the way things look right now I will just be happy to get down and see what's up with everyone else.

I should be there with the Falcon. I hoped I would be flying by then but, the way things look right now I will just be happy to get down and see what's up with everyone else.

Gary,

That's great news that you will be able to come and bring your Falcon with you. That is a great looking aircraft and it will be a big hit with everyone. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Gyro Doug

CFIs will be available.

CFIs will be available.

John,

CFI - Mike Burton (with AirGyro) will be there both days doing introductory flights and training in a Sparrow Hawk Gyro. You might want to give them a call at (801) 794-3434 and schedule some training time. I don't know how busy they will be, but if they get busy I am sure they will give priority to those that have scheduled ahead of time. I have trained with Mike and can whole heartedly recommend him.

There will also be several Helicopter Schools represented there that will have Helicopter CFI's there available for demo rides and training in some Robinson's.

Hope your able to make it down.

Gyro Doug

Utah Fly In

Utah Fly In

Just a reminder, we are a month away from Utah's First Annual Fly In. The numbers keep growing so even though this will be our first year it's looking like we're going to have a pretty good turnout. For more details go to our new chapter website at "prachapter2.org" or "rmkplanes.com" or give me a call at (801) 628-7598.

Gyro Doug

Doug,

The flyin was great. I only wish I could have come back on Saturday. There is always next year!

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to Utah's Chapter.