USU Senior design project

i wanted to let the gyro community to know about our build of the hornet gyro. we have had to change the plans a bit for some of our specific parts. we have the main frame mostly done (minus engine mounts) and our landing gear is on. we have a rotax 503 engine we got off a 1987 skidoo snowmobile. we changed the main shocks in the design to include the shocks from the snowmobile. we also modified the axle plate to be able to put on Cessna wheels (with brakes). we will have master solenoids attached to our pedals for those breaks. we got out pedals off of a Cessna as well. We will be using the rotax gearbox B. and are planning on using 60" pusher prop. i will follow up soon with some current photos.

60" pusher

60" pusher

I have a 60" 3 blade Power Fin prop I can no longer use. If your interested, let me know.

Mark

Cessna wheels and brakes........sounds heavy and an overkill.......best brake is the rotor......and something small for taxiing. You planning on UL weight?

Just curious.

yep barry is right,need brakes only for taxiing and maybe use for prerotating.

Best regards,eddie.....

Regarding big wheels:

Keep in mind also that adding drag below the CG is destabilizing in pitch. It produces the same effects as a thrustline located above the aircraft CG -- a tendency to pitch over. The magnitude of the pitchover tendency in this case increases as the square of airspeed, and is independent of throttle setting.

A gyro the size and weight of a Gyrobee doesn't need G.A. airplane wheels. A stock Gyrobee will leave the ground at about 18 mph. It is best to lower the nose and unstick at 25 mph instead, but even that speed does not require anything approaching the robustness of G.A. airplane wheels, bearings and brakes. Go-kart wheels with high-speed bearings are more than adequate. I use Azusalite nylon wheels on my Gyrobee.

On grass, brakes aren't very necessary, either. I use a plywood scrub brake on the nosewheel, exactly per Bensen, and it's more than adequate. If you insist on mainwheel brakes, then use the brakes marketed by the go-kart people for your go-kart wheels. On a Gyrobee, you will need to alter the attachment of the inner end of the main axle tubes, as the plans version is secured by a single bolt and does not resist rotation.

It's surprising at first to realize how much thought, trial and error have gone into optimizing designs as the Gyrobee and Bensen. They have a casual, thrown-together look that is very misleading.

After owning one of these craft for awhile, you develop a healthy tendency to give the designers the benefit of the doubt. When you start thinking about "improving" some component, be aware that the designer may well have gone down that same path, realized why it wouldn't work, and come up with the version you see right in front of you.

prop

prop

Derek, got your email this morning. Did not put it together this was your post from Utah State. Looking forward to seeing your project.

I have put the Barnstormers add in "Sale Pending" status, let me know when you want to come and pick it up.

Mark

I flew my 503 with b box in Utah...yall better cut weight where you can!

Hi Derek,

I've also sent this as an e-mail, as I didn't know which you'd likely see first.

Bonneville GyroFlyers, PRA Chapter 2, will have its February meeting this Saturday (2/14) at Brigham City Airport. In addition to meeting the local gang, you'll get a chance to see URA's new Sport Copter trainer, and ask all the questions you want. We'd also love to hear more about your project.

The new issue of Western Rotorcraft is out, and you can download it here.

Hope to see you Saturday!