Upper hub assembly for RAF redrive

cgmg

Aircraft
Empty hangar right now, have owned and flown Air Command & RAF
Total Flight Time
As posted in my unplanned landing thread, I also discovered my upper redrive hub assembly is severely damaged. I'm working on obtaining a friend's Parham redrive to borrow, but would like to find replacements for these parts.

It's a pretty time-consuming job to switch out my current redrive for a Parham redrive, so am hoping something is available to eliminate the need to switch redrives.

What I need is the camshaft assembly, the upper(larger) hub, and the spacer washer that goes between the two bearings. I'm willing to purchase a whole redrive, if the price is right, and parts aren't popping up.

Please let me know if you have what I need.

Redrive questions

Redrive questions

Mark,

Can you post some pictures of what you need?

Here are pictures of the parts I need.

The first picture is the jackshaft with the eccentric, second one is the upper hub, and the third one is a spacer washer that fits between the two bearings.

Based on the price quote from RAF, I can probably have everything reverse engineered and built for less.

I also sent an email to Ron Menzie, hoping he knows someone who might have the parts.

Attachments

• P1010125.jpg
    P1010125.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010128.jpg
    P1010128.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010129.jpg
    P1010129.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 0
Based on the price quote from RAF, I can probably have everything reverse engineered and built for less.
Mark, is there a gear box redrive available for the 2.2L RAF? If so, it may be a more affordable alternative. RAF parts from the factory are outrageously priced. And congratulation on getting your RAF down safely, nice job.

Stan,

Yes there are. If my memory serves me, they're pretty pricey also. When we get back home Sunday, I'll start looking into that alternative.

Thanks for reminding me of that alternative.

Hey Mark,

Call Doug @ Air Command in Caddo Mills, Tx. I think he will have what you are looking for.

Thanks, Paul.

I'll call them on Monday.

OK,

Talked with Doug at Air Command this morning, they are not supplying redrives for EJ22's, due to lack of demand. Doug suggested I stay away from a geared redrive, and that I have a machine shop make me new parts.

The parts from RAFSA are $2000, without shipping.

Have requested pricing info for both an Autoflight redrive, and AirTrike's version of a geared redrive. Still waiting on replies from them.

Question: Does anyone out there know of anyone besides Gary Buster who is flying a geared redrive behind their EJ22 or EJ25?

I'm not sure Mark, but I think Jon Carleton is ?

Last edited:
It was based on their experience with gear drives. He felt they were fine in engine forward use in aircraft, but not for pusher configurations, and especially not for gyro use.

Again, that's his opinion.

Geared redrives

Geared redrives

Johnathan Weiss uses a geared redrive on his Sub. I know of someone who makes a very nice geared redrive that fits all of the Subarus, the gears are hobbed, heat treated and precision ground. The manufacturer says having all that done especially the precision grinding makes for a quieter and cooler redrive ( hence longer life). Price is a little steep $3500 but you get what you pay for. Send me a PM if you want more info.

One of the suprises that I got when I made a belt re-drive in a pusher set up was indeed the heat factor. Had just never thought of the "obvious" factor that when an engine is mounted in "pusher" ALL of the engine block heat is driven toward the back of the engine, through the re-drive (belt or gear) out to the prop hub and finally out through the prop, just put your hand on a re-drive on a pusher set up (belt or gear) and on the prop flange and then the prop hub near the flange immediately after landing and see what you get :)

Tony

The main problem with a gear drive on an RAF2000 is that the prop will turn the wrong way and you will have to replace the vertical fin/rudder with something else.

Thanks for all the suggestions of everyone as to different options for me.

Duane Hunn contacted me yesterday, and it appears I'm driving to Iowa to purchase a spare redrive he has!

May be back in business mid-week.