ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
Hello Everyone,

I had originally scheduled the upgrade to Xenforo for today. After thinking it through, I've decided to postpone until next week. We are creating a test forum right now to see how a conversion will work and hopefully work through any bugs beforehand.

You can expect the conversion to happen sometime next week. I will keep you all in the loop.

Todd

Looking forward to the switch. Thanks for letting us know. The forum is already a breath of fresh air lately since the server change.

I've no doubt that, this time, we're going to have a real upgrade... Thanks!

I was able to use the test forum upgrade today. I think we're going to like it. Lots of nice features. I'll mess with it over the weekend and look at making the conversion early next week.

Hi Jason,

I'm sure almost anything can be modified or added to the Xenforo forum. Would you be willing to help research what add-ons we may want to incorporate?

Todd

Todd, is there any way for this (or the upgraded) forum to recognize the previous forum's links?
Some kind of internal/behind-the-scenes "translator"?
Many posts have old links in them, which dead-end to older posts (which are still on the forum).

Thanks for all that you do!
Kolibri

Kolibri;n1144462 said:
Todd, is there any way for this (or the upgraded) forum to recognize the previous forum's links?
Some kind of internal/behind-the-scenes "translator"?
Many posts have old links in them, which dead-end to older posts (which are still on the forum).

Thanks for all that you do!
Kolibri

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about here. Could you give me an example?

Posts made before the last upgrade/revision have links which worked then, but not now.
I.e., the upgrade has not been backward compatible with the older RWF links. Such as this one:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20266

. . . which returns this error message:

Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.

However, that thread still exists, but under this link:
https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/r...-another-fatal-gyro-crash-today-okeechobee-fl

So, is there a way for this upgrade to "translate" the old/nonworking URLs to the current URLs?
This would keep the older threads fully useful.

Thanks,
Kolibri

Kolibiri,

Thanks for the clarification. I've sent off a message to the maintenance people and hopefully they can figure out a solution. I'm guessing it happened during the upgrade to 5.xx last year. I'm guessing our best chance of repairing the links will be while we're still using vBulletin.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Todd

Kolibri;n1144476 said:
Posts made before the last upgrade/revision have links which worked then, but not now.
I.e., the upgrade has not been backward compatible with the older RWF links. Such as this one:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20266

. . . which returns this error message:

However, that thread still exists, but under this link:
https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/r...-another-fatal-gyro-crash-today-okeechobee-fl

So, is there a way for this upgrade to "translate" the old/nonworking URLs to the current URLs?
This would keep the older threads fully useful.

Thanks,
Kolibri

It sounds like the redirects can be done. They are going to wait until the upgrade to Xenforo is complete.

Upgrade is Happening today.

I just went back and forth with my contact and they have time to make the upgrade to Xenforo today. I assume we'll be down for a bit. Also, you can expect some thinks to be a little wonky for a few days as we sort out some bugs, graphics issues, link issues etc.

Please let me know as you find things that need attention.

Todd

"Redirects" <facepalm> yes, that's the word I was trying to recall.
Thanks, Todd.

NICE upgrade ...I LIKE! .....thank you Todd for getting this done!

Todd, it looks fantastic! And it's fast, too.

However, not all the redirects I've tried accurately work.
Do you need some specific examples?

Many thanks,
Kolibri