Updates

We may be quiet, but we are busy!

Cannot talk about some things without the permission of the Maestro, so go and take a look at the new content on our Facebook page and the website.

I am working hard at getting some Phenix branded apparel ready for the season. The first ballcap designs have been made into samples and we have not one, but two t-shirt design projects underway.

When there are more pictures and info available from the designers, I'll post them and possibly a poll for you to vote on your favorite design. Everybody who comments' name will be thrown into a draw for a cap or a shirt. I'll figure out the details later.

Also have some nice new pictures and a short video clip on the FB page.

First designs are in

First designs are in

We have a pretty good stock of designs by now, so I am going to post a few while I figure out how to make a poll on the design site and Facebook.

Attachments

• 31826_2918168_363635_image.jpg
    31826_2918168_363635_image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
Poll is up and running

Poll is up and running

Ok all you fashionable aviators, aviatrixes and kids going flying with gramps on the weekend...here is the link to our first T-Shirt Poll !

http://http://99designs.com/t-shirt-design/vote-jwvbt9

Please go and vote for a design you like. We will do the same as the caps and after the design competition is done, pick a few names and send them each a T-Shirt.

So please vote via the link, and post a comment on here so I know who voted.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Mark, you were right. Link WAS broken, but now it's fixed! So try it again.

Not sure what you mean with the bio, I thought I had a bunch of info in my profile?

My bad Cobus,
thanks for fixing the link....guess the bio was only accessible when one signs into the forum (for member eyes only). Drop me a P/M with your number if you would. Thx,

Continuing our UPDATE Thread, here's an update for you guys; I have started a Blog on the Phenix Aero website.

I am not a 16-year old tech wiz, but I can type with more than two fingers and I manage to work the Facebook ok :typing: So I shall endeavour to keep our fans and the gyro community enthralled with both my literary prowess and our steady path to getting a Phenix to the USA.

In the meantime, our poll is doing well on the T-Shirt comp and we have some awesome designs in. Actually we have so many that I might have to post another poll this week to decide the finalists for the competition.

Anybody can vote, so please do. At the end I'll collect everybody's postal details, swirl them around in a bowl and pick some names to get a t-shirt.

I already have names for folks I'll be sending the caps too, just waiting on having them completed (some styles are on backorder).

Thanks for reading, keep those rotors turning :plane:

Hi Cobus

Can you give us an update on what is happening with the gyro itself - the latest "news" on the website is 2011.

What's the current position with the prototypes and test flying ?

Any news on certification ?

Any news on production or customr delivieries ?

When can we expect deliveries to commence ?

All "news" ( non T-shirt & cap news ! ) welcomed

Thanks

At long last...some real 'news'

At long last...some real 'news'

Steve,

Yes, hearing about baseball caps and t-shirts when you want to hear about the best gyroplane on the market (soon), is pretty lame.

Sorry, I had to do that ☺

When I posted before that the reason we are a bit quiet, is because we are hard at work, I was actually telling the truth. The European website is currently not serviced as much as the US one (www.phenixgyro.com) because the guys over there are too busy working on the aircraft and related activities.

You would be better served right now, while we build a new European website, to regularly visit our US website and Facebook page as we will be posting info on our blog there from now on. Here too of course.

That said, here is the information you have been waiting for, for so long:

I can officially confirm that we are presently engaged in certification of the aircraft in Germany.

For this purpose we have built and are continuing to make changes and improvements to Phenix serial # 003.

Any certification process is a very time and labor-intensive process, subject to many revisions, changes and delays. Unfortunately, because of this, we cannot with any accuracy predict a date of certification completion. Our expectation is to be done around September 2014, but this has already been pushed back from our initial estimate of March 2014. This was mainly due to regulatory changes with the particular authorities.

99% of our efforts are going into the certification process. That leaves 1% for baseball caps and t-shirts. So you can see how hard we are working at this!

Serial #002 has been our workhorse over the past few years. This aircraft has operated solely from unimproved dirt airstrips doing a lot of flying in different weather conditions, with differing loads and setups. We’ve tested handling at different air-speeds, high and low, different attitudes, side slips, doors-off flight, intentional hard landings, short field operations (as shown in the many videos on the website and the Facebook page), heavy take-offs, simulated 3G+ on the airframe etc.
We’ve also tested different systems, landing gear configurations, rotor blades, props, rudder sizes, etc.
She has been put through the ringer and is still going strong, with no mechanical failures or abnormal situation of any kind. This is testament to the rugged simplicity of the beautiful and stylish design.

More information about stricter flight testing to come in the future.

Regarding sales; at present we can produce Phenix models for experimental registration worldwide but European and US sales will have to wait until certification is completed. Work on a 51% kit will only be possible after the current certification program is completed.
For Europe, we will begin further promotion, attending fairs, etc. when the certification is closer.
We are looking at our options of bringing at least a static display with cabin mock-up of one of the models to the USA. We will be hard pressed to do this considering our efforts with the certification process, but we are trying to make it work.
We are posting new design rendering of the models on our US website in the meantime.

In Europe we are currently working on establishing a new facility to prepare for serial production.

In the USA, we have found a facility to house our Regional Assembly Facility and are working on securing the location.

We know that news has been a long time in coming and we apologize for the delay and stealthiness in our operations. In the end your patience and our hard work will pay off.

Now, like a child who had his ice cream first and still has to eat his veggies; news of the t-shirt competition!

Final two days of design submissions, to be followed by the "Choosing the Winner Poll"!

Please go vote, put your name up there, PM me with your postal address and in a few weeks you might be strutting around in a FREE new Phenix t-shirt!

Thanks for your patience folks, stick with us!

Hi Cobus,

Thanks for the Phenix update, it's good to hear so much activity.

Good luck with the German certification program - you have a machine that is certainly something different from the norm and I'm sure the Phenix will be of interest to many pilots.

Regards

Steve

Phenix LITE concept art

Phenix LITE concept art

So with the LITE being our entry level offering, we conceptualize it having an energetic and fun persona. This led the color choices under consideration to include bright vibrant colors.

Here is a concept rendering of the LITE in flight, a close up and the interior cabin.

The bright color should also prove useful when it comes to being seen and avoided in flight!

The Phenix models and specifications depicted are considered preliminary, subject to change and pertains to US and Non-European markets. Select European markets might require changes to model line up and specifications.

Sharp eyes Phenix watchers will note the wheel fairing on the LITE depicted. This aircraft would probably be offered without the fairings.

Attachments

• NeonGreen1LITE.jpg
    NeonGreen1LITE.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • NeonGreen2LITECloseUp.jpg
    NeonGreen2LITECloseUp.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0
  • LiteGREENSend-1.jpg
    LiteGREENSend-1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Update:

The certification program is going well. Carlos and the team are working long hours every day in support of it.

Based on our experience in flying the Phenix over the last few years, and the input of our engineering and certification team, some changes (improvements) have been made to the basic aircraft under certification. These include but are not limited to the flight controls, rotor head etc.

We have also made the decision to expand the certification program and will be utilizing and certifying multiple airframes and aircraft. This will mean a slightly longer process overall but a better product and more offerings at the end of the certification process.

Thanks to all our supporters and interested parties in patiently waiting while we bring the Phenix to market.

Phenix looking at more regular updates

Phenix looking at more regular updates

We realize updates have been few and far between and are making a concerted effort to post more regular updates to the public and gyroplane community.

To this end we have setup a number of social media accounts to stay in touch with our followers.

We now have this forum on the RWF, a blog on the phenixgyro.com website, a Twitter account, a Flickr account, a Vimeo account, our Facebook page and are updating our mailing list.

The hardest part will probably be figuring out how to work 'the Twitter' :D,
but we will be starting publishing updates at regular intervals really soon.

Stay tuned for news about the certification process and exciting changes and modifications to the Phenix!

Last edited:
Certification going well, absolutely everything is being checked, optimized and updated to the German regulations. Our engineer is doing a fantastic job with all the designing stuff and the results are superb! More detailed information on the changes and improvements to specific systems and components will be forthcoming soon.

Major changes to improve the Phenix! An integrated a carbon fiber mast sleeve strengthens the entire mast setup, reducing weight and allows the mast to slide in and out for maintenance. Simple and effective and always fits perfectly back in position. Brilliant !

More info on Facebook, Website Blog and Twitter feed.

How do you make the roomy, comfortable and strong cabin of the Phenix even better? By improving the ergonomics and layout and reinforcing the window and door frames, but still keeping the aircraft super light-weight.

Cobus,

Thanks for the updates. It is good to hear and understand a little of what is going on. It makes the wait, a little more tolerable.

Perhaps you could plan to come to the PRA Convention in Mentone this year and do a forum presentation and share more pictures and details about what's happening. We always have a lot of people very hungry to learn more about Tractor Gyro options. What do you say ?????

Doug Barker
PRA Pres.