Update on Kermit

gyrodeputy

Total Flight Time
200 and growing
Well folks, without rambling I want to give a brief update on Kermit and our progress.

As many of you are aware I have had some job issues the past year. The railroad cut over 6000 jobs and I got laid off (furloughed) last year. I drove dump truck for about 10 months working 60-70 hours a week and had no time to work on anything but sleep.

You also may remember my brother Edward was murdered last summer. There are still no arrests but the police do have "people of interest."

In February I returned to full time work with the county sheriff. I am grateful the boss took me back.

When I had the tail assembled by the factory there was a breakdown in communications about the engine rotation and the offset between the left and right tails was backwards. This was completely my fault because I told Nico the engine rotation not the prop rotation as it changes inside the Rotax Gear Box. OOPS!

Nico sent me some videos and instructions on how to fix this issue and I completed it a few weeks ago. This change was critical for flight stability in various operating conditions.

I also changed the relationship between the prop and the prerotator hydraulic pump. This gives a substantial amount of additional clearance for the belt drive. (From 1/8" clearance to 1/2" clearance.)

I started static ground testing and all systems are working correctly. The sole exception is the fuel gauge. The internal tank sensor is not being correctly interpreted by the EFIS so I have a replacement ordered. Minor fix and am not anticipating any problems. I do also have to change one of the main gear tires it is showing wear from ground taxing and the initial flight testing.

I do get occasional feedback in the radio when transmitting so I am going to remove the radio and ship it in for service to correct the problem It will be back in a couple of weeks.

The annual inspection will be done next week and I am meeting with the FSDO to get my operations area amended to include KBMC (Brigham City) so that Laurie and I can go to ROTR in June.

I am not including any pictures at this time because I have also changed some of the paint on Kermit and want it to be a surprise at ROTR so don't bother asking.

Finally, (just to poke fun) I have yet to receive my "2 week award" from Stan. Maybe I will get it...in a couple of weeks.

Heath,

I am glad to hear that you are still moving forward and that it looks like you will be able to join us again at Rotors Over the Rockies again. You do have an amazing Gyro and I look forward to seeing You and Laurie and Kermit again, in a few weeks. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Doug

Kermit was flown at ROTR

Kermit was flown at ROTR

Laurie and I went to Rotors Over the Rockies last week.

Prior to going I was able to complete all the needed work to complete Kermit's annual.

I made a safety decision to not fly Kermit until I had an opportunity to fly with a CFI to brush up on my training and to do my biannual flight review.

I did that on Thursday morning with Brandon. Everything went great and he taught me some excellent things related to balancing on the mains and ground handling.

Friday morning while nearly everyone was gone to the Odgen breakfast flight I took Kermit out of the hanger, did a complete and through preflight and taxied to the runway. I choose this time to limit the amount of pressure from being in front of a large crowd. I did not want to feel compelled to fly or not fly because of the audience. I did have a safety plan in place and had rehearsed the process over 30 times in my head before I even pushed Kermit out of the hanger.

It is a 9,000 foot runway with a lot of room. My plan was to spin up the rotors and if successful balance on the mains to the 3,000 foot marker. If it felt good to fly and if not no shut it down and reevaluate.

At the 3,000 foot mark I had balanced on the mains for over 4,000 foot consistently and stable.

I went from 60% to 85% throttle and Kermit took off easily. The aircraft is incredibly stable and easy to fly. The controls are light to the touch and very responsive.

I flew the pattern twice and landed very gently and taxied to the ramp.

Saturday I repeated the process. However this time I was airborne much sooner. I flew briefly for the crowd with 1 low approach and then around the pattern and landed.

The Aviomania is such an incredible platform. I could not be happier.

I did find significant resistance in the prerotator. After talking to Ernie a slight adjustment was made. The resistance is gone and I will test it tomorrow at our home field.

So for the record, Yes this was MY first 2 flights in Kermit. (Mike Burton flew 4flights in Mentone 2015) Yes this was my first SOLO flight in a gyro. Not because I wanted to solo in my own aircraft but because of the stupid FAA rules I could not rent one to do my soloing in previously. I am taking a very measured approach to this process. This is why I wanted to do my biannual and get some additional training before trying to fly "cold."

My goal is ever flight to return safe and sound to kiss my beautiful wife.

We are home safe and sound and I will get some pictures up when I am able. There are some on my Facebook page if you would like to check them out there.

Congratulations! It must feel great to solo in a gyro which you built yourself. Something I will likely never experience. I wish you many safe hours of fun and excitement!

-- Chris.

That is GREAT ! Good for you , man ! Enjoy & be safe !

Good job Heath....I take it the yamaha performed as planned or better?

Great job Heath, took some time but I am sure it was worth it.
Rick

Exciting to see our friends......

Exciting to see our friends......

dreams of gyro-flight in their own builds come to fruition!

After a year of set-backs ...and delays getting Kermit airborne it was awesome to see you carefully & safely get going @ ROTR 2016!

Congratulations and have many more wonderful flying experiences ahead!

Sounds like the last glitch-tweak has been made ...full steam ahead! :peace:

I loved meeting Laurie & getting to fly with her in "Festey" :D

Heath, you've had a long and somewhat uphill road, and the view from your "summit" must be marvelous. Kudos, Old Bean, and I wish you many splendid hours with Kermit. I look forward to flying with you soon!

Kolibir

Congratulations Heath

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

The thing that liked besides your enthusiasm was your careful pragmatic approach.

Thoughtful details are everywhere on your aircraft.

It was a joy to spend time with you and your wife.

I agree Vance

I agree Vance

The thing that liked besides your enthusiasm was your careful pragmatic approach.

Thoughtful details are everywhere on your aircraft.

It was a joy to spend time with you and your wife.

I could not agree more Vance. Thank your for your supportive comments and areas to improve and loose weight (on the gyro!)

It will only get better.