Unicom radio to Mentone

Hi Wayne

The antenna could not be put on the windsock, (once you see the sock you will understand). The flag bracket might be ok though. Present 1/4 wave spike goes about 30 mi due to tower height.

what kind of winds will the antenna stand, we sometimes get a couple of 60 to 70 mph thunderstorms during the convention.

Tony

PS could be mounted on walkway guard railing and "layed down prior to any storms" :)

Last edited:
Using a solid mount, the Copper J-Pole antennas will withstand up to 70 mph winds. The antennas are made from 1/2 inch copper pipe. This antenna design is most commonly use by Ham Radio Operators who set up and operate Emergency Communication Centers during natural disasters because of the ease in setting up, possessing a good omnidirectional signal with a nominal 3db gain, and with an RF takeoff angle around 20 degrees, many Hams are able to communicate with the astronauts on the International Space Station with a Copper J-Pole antenna.

The J-Pole can be permanently bolted vertically to the edge of the eve of the roof on the runway side. I like your suggestion and mount the antenna on a folding pole opposite of the wind sock near the runway side of the walkway railing whereas when a storm approaches, the antenna can be folded over horizontally. Either way, I thought the antenna would be an improvement over the current one being the J-Pole naturally has a lower SWR than a vertical whip antenna.

If you guys want to upgrade, I'm offering otherwise no big deal if you all decide to keep operating with the antenna you have already.

Wayne

I do not want to rob the thread, but! Can a single place machine and pilot "without" a radio have times to go flying during Friday and/or Saturday during the convention.
Are there procedures in place from years past???
Thanks

Hi wayne

As I think about it, would probably need to clamp somthing like a 8 ft piece of TV mast to the corner of the walkway guard rail and mount the J pole to it so the coax would cross over to the tower room at the eve of the roof. This would be because there is usually a lot of "photography" traffic both private and Press around the walkway also a lot of "cell phone" use up on the walkway, as the old timers have learned that cell phone coverage on the ground at the airport is LOUSY but useable up on the tower walkway.

Tony

Hi Tony,

A 6' - 8" pole would be fine as a mast. The J-Pole would be clamped securely to the side of the mast using three hose clamps. Then just run a copper wire from the mast down into the ground at the base of the tower for lightning protection.

Wayne

Wayne

Contact Bud ONeal, he was inquiring about some kind of antenna to use out on the flight line at Bensen Days, something better than his rubber duck. the J pole even on a short mast sounds like the ticket for him.

Tony

Hi Wayne

I think he is using it as a "stand up walk around" at a fixed location, sort of as a flight line/air boss

Tony