Undersling

SamL

Aircraft
GT Gyroplanes "KRUZA" G-762
Total Flight Time
700+
O.K
The underslung rotor system when teetering, and set up correctly, ensures the blades CofG remain the same distance from the centre axis of rotation. Having no undersling will cause the blades CofG to move in & out (from the centre axis of rotation) during teetering. This in turn will cause coriolis and inturn cause shake.

Regards SamL...............

Attachments

Last edited:

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
It is important to understand that in a literal sense, a rotor no more flaps than does a rock being twirled on a string. It can’t without violating conservation of momentum.

A teeter bolt in conjunction with a 2-blade rotor forms a sort of Cardan or Hooks joint. Jean Claude’s video of a plank on a rope in another thread clearly illustrates the flapping illusion.

If a rotor was so stiff that it could fly without coning angle, half of the problems of a seesaw rotor would be solved. Until then, it’s just something we must live with.

Attachments

Last edited:

Not Yet

Total Flight Time
Hi gents
Question is what would happen if you start with a standard set of gyro blades, and then remove the teeter block and design it to have no undersling at all.

So what I'm saying is having the teeter bolt on the same plane as the blades.
Hi Sam

I believe the direct answer to your question is, that the two-per-rev shake would be so severe that it would probably tear the gyro to pieces.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
I don’t use the forum’s PM E-mail service, Pete.

Here it is for a flash:

Last edited: