Ultralight Gyros

Gyroforme

Aircraft
A/C low boy,ext tail,mast,CLT
Total Flight Time
Hey Guy's, I'm looking for builders and flyers, of any of the available ultralight gyros. I'm trying to determine which kit I want to build. I have been looking at the GyroBee,and the Butterfly ultralights. :help:

Try to attend the New Year festivities at Wauchula and eyeball some iron. It may help you decide. Or add to the confusion!

Howard,

Finding completed Butterfly Ultralights to check out will be a little difficult as this is a new model and the only one that I am aware of that is completed and flown is the one Larry built. I believe it has been sold but I don't know who bought it. I know of others being built but none others that are flying yet.

Now if you are just looking for any Butterfly model to check out that will be a lot easier to find, however there aren't near as many around as some other manufacturers machines. I know Bensen Days will be dominated by Dominators, but there are a few of the other machines there. If you really want to learn more about the Butterfly line perhaps you should consider making a trip to Texas and visiting Larry in person. Best of luck witrh your research! Figuring out what you really want is a very exciting and fun part of the journey, so enjoy the trip.

I try not to get too wrapped up in the UL discussion, as most people don't realize how basic an ultralight is. But, you are pretty close, proximity wise, to be able to get to Wauchula and get some training. If you would like to see an ultralight, to be sure you wan't to fly ultralight, you can give me a call at 863-243-3067.

Phil.

I flew the Ultralight Emperor

I flew the Ultralight Emperor

G'Day Howard,

I built and flew the Emperor Butterfly 503, no pre-rotator, had suspension and disc brakes, it was a true ultralight at about 245 lbs.

It was brilliant. Stable and a joy to fly.

I really like my Monarch with MLS and All Terrain G Force Landing Gear, though I would be more than pleased to own the new and improved Ultralight Butterfly.

The differences between the Emperor and the new Ultralight....suspension is gone, disc brakes are gone, changed for a scrub brake on front wheel. Rear keel is stepped to get the HS right in the centre of the prop wash and of course you have the assistance of the little elec pre-rotator. The other main differences are you now have a set of highly efficient Dragon Wing Rotors in place of the old Bensen Blades and you have a 60 HP MZ engine instead of the 50 hp rotax if you wish.

I have been morphing my Butterfly for 5 years or more, which is the beauty of these kits from Larry. The base model is designed for ease of upgrades and is a CLT gyroplane.

Hope you get the gyro you really want and have fun, fly safe and enjoy the journey.

Cheers,

Mitch

Last edited:
If I could live with the ultralight limitations (5 gals of fuel with it's + or - 45 mile range) I would choose the Butterfly hands down.
It even has a prerotator and can easily be upgraded.

Doug is the guy to talk to. He is not a high pressure salesman and only tried to help you get what you need/ want.

Check them both out but the Butterfly is the way to go in IMHO!

John,

Is there any new news on the Aviomania ultralight? Just curious.

Hi Gary!!!!

Nicolas is so busy form growing pains... He hasn't had time to do much else but hire and train new staff, build and deliver rides. I don't wish to steal the thunder from the best current choice for a ultralight with one that is in development especially if he wants one today. For now the butterfly is the best choice in my opinion.

Hey John

Have you seen what Nicolas has in mind for a ultralight ?? Bet it will have a raked keel !!

Tony

@Tony
I've heard his description and IIRC it does, and a very large HS. He said it is going to be the most stable UL on the market.

Howard,

Check this video out.

My white Emporer Butterfly as described above, being flown by Birdy.

He really liked the gyro but was not real fussed on the Bensen Blades, told me to get rid of them so I did. Ended up with a set of composite blades nearly 2 foot bigger, which were 31 lbs heavier. The 503 didn't mind at all.

With a Butterfly, you can build and fly and 'tinker', if you wish by adding upgrades, or you can keep it basic and continue to fly.

For me a light gyro is the most fun to fly.

Mitch

YouTube - Birdy and Butterfly Cooma 2005

Last edited: