Ultralight Compound Coaxial Helicopter

Rotor Rooter

Dave Jackson
down under,

Different strokes for different folks. One 'turn-on' for me is that of trying to find Igor Sikorsky's 'helicopter in ever garage'. The trek leads to many dead ends, but the pleasure of the quest goes on.

The incorporation of a wing is not foreign to gyrocopters or helicopters. However, this particular configuration is probably novel and has therefore been placed in the Concept Section.

IMHO, at the present time and within my limited capabilities, it looks; low cost, easy to fly, safe and portable, etc. Time, suggestions and appreciated critique will tell whether or not it becomes just another dead end. :noidea:

Dave

I have looked through some of the threads you have started Dave and you have many original thoughts and ideas.

Have you thought about gravity as a magnetic field. Apart from balloons it has every aircraft hooked and sooner or later reels them in.

There is shielding of electrical components from electro magnetic fields. Why not shielding of aircraft from the earths magnetic field.

For vertical takeoff with this concept, the pilot would be in the center of thrust from the rotors. The resulting drag may cancel out a large percentage of the lift that could be produced.

Rotor Rooter

Dave Jackson
For vertical takeoff with this concept, the pilot would be in the center of thrust from the rotors. The resulting drag may cancel out a large percentage of the lift that could be produced.
Good point.

Perhaps the pilot could hang vertically, as shown in the first picture, and then perhaps rotate toward horizontal as the forward speed increased.

Rotor Rooter

Dave Jackson
ok, as in the first pic. dont tell you how you can optain one. thats my point.
You can't, yet.

Barry the first pic is of Franz Schoefmann's coaxial backpack.
It is a brilliant little craft and it has encouraged others (most, or all, from outside the US) to think; as in 'think outside the box'.

His craft has one obvious, but serious, limitation and that is its inability to autorotate to a safe landing if the blades cease to receive power.

To my knowledge, no one has yet overcome this limitation without creating other limitations.
IMO, the ultimate craft will have one, or more, limitations, but the limitation(s) will have a much lower level of risk.

Dave

P.S. Much of this has already been recently mentioned to you on the thread Another attempt,back-pack helicopter

Last edited: