Ultralight Butterfly MZ 202 Builders

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 116 Gyro, 15 GA
Just curious as to who out there is building or planning to build the Ultralight Butterfly or any other Gyro with the MZ 202?

I am collecting engine tips and posting files to the following Yahoo Forum for the MZ line of engines:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Compactradialengines/

Below is my latest post:

Re: New file uploaded to Compactradialengines

I collected some tips and ideas from the Aerolite103 Yahoo Forum. My primary interest was about the installation of an electric fuel pump in place of the bulb primer and as a back-up to the Mikuni fuel pump.

The bulb primers have been known to fail (restrict flow or crack) during flight on two stroke engines. Another work around that I used in the past, was to put two tees with a line and two shut off valves around the bulb. The valves are closed to prime the system and opened to allow flow around the bulb. This solves the free flow problem the bulb can and has caused in the past. To completely eliminate the cracking problem, two more valves are needed on each side of the bulb.

The inline electric pump set up eliminating the primer bulb is much simpler and since the MZ 202 has a battery for the electric start, installing the electric pump as a primer and back-up is too easy as long as it is rated below 3 psi and if not a regulator would be needed.

multimike

***** Supporter
Aircraft
Gyro-mz202-24 DW- N485MP
Total Flight Time
100+
Tom, I'm just about done my scratch built gyro which has a MZ202 with a 62" warp drive prop. (See my Anisoptera build thread) I have installed a redundant facet fuel pump in parallel which eliminates the need for a primer bulb. It will also provide fuel for my goped style prerotator. The max pressure is 4.5 psi which shouldn't over power the Bing carburetor float valves. I've also installed a low pressure cracking check valve to prevent the pulse pump back-feeding the facet pump.
I am also working on two other issues the MZ202 has. I modified the ignition system using a different voltage regulator and capacitor to allow the engine to run without a battery, once started.
Also trying to reduce the RF noise caused by the ignition system that interferes with radio transmissions. I'll post my results when I get the engine running (within a week or two).
I know a lot of people don't have a lot of confidence in the MZ but I believe the issues can be resolved leaving a powerful, reliable engine.

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 116 Gyro, 15 GA
Mike,

Would you mind posting additional details of your MZ modifications to your build thread or even on this thread?

BTW, the work you do on your gyro is remarkable!

MyTech

ultralight Butterfly

ultralight Butterfly

Hi, I am in need of some help sourcing the final parts for the Ultralight Butterfly. Larry Neal died before I received the last of the Kit and I'm not getting any response from the company. Specifically I need the MZ202 engine, prop, reduction gear parts and muffler.

any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
Steve Wilson
[email protected]
803-513-6395