UK Raf fatality report.

C. Beaty said:
Yes, Raghu, I do have a copy of Vol Moteur, June '98 that I located a few days ago. Unfortunately, it was at the bottom of a stack of stuff that got wet when my barn flooded. I'm going to attempt steaming it open and redrying. If successful, I'll scan it and send you a copy.

Thanks Chuck, I appreciate your efforts!

Screw-In

Doug, I had a similar experiance. After flying my gyro for a while and not having flown a FW in about 8 mo. I called my CFI so that I could get current on my FW ticket.

We flew a 172 and the controls felt extremely heavy compared to what I was used to in my gyro. I bounced 2 landings and my CFI asked why I was flying like a girl. After that I had a nice day from there.

I Didn't have any problems going back to the gyro though, but I imagine if I had been flying fixed wing straight for 8 months with no gyro time, First gyro flight might be a little dicey.

Udi, Interesting statistic, I noticed there have been no ATP ratings as of yet.

Screw-Out

I would guess that what Mr. O'Connor was relating was from his experience with his gyro which, for all I know, may not have been the most stable. He was asked about his experience which he related and while it may have sounded like a blanket statement, I don't believe that was the case

In looking back 5 - 10 years ago, I would say that there has been some progress in the area of stability. Heck, I'm not sure you have to go back further than 3 - 4! Certainly there has been an increase in the awareness and understanding in the general gyro community. Consequently if a FW pilot is transitioning to one of the machines that is accepted as being stable then it is reasonable to expect it to be accomplished with out too much effort. However, if the transition is into one of the still available unstable machines, which is probably the majority, then I think it is also reasonable to expect some problems. If that last sentence is accepted then I think Udi's comments and observation have merit.

This brings up a question or two that belong in another thread so if my memory functions long enough for me to remember to start another one I will!

(I started a thread under training to post my questions)

Last edited:
Doug, I have found the same. I now much prefere to train a fixed winger into my stable gyro. With the pitch unstable ones that I used it was much easier to start from scratch!!!

Even better if the student has had some sailplane time.

Aussie Paul.