Uiltracruisers Snobird.....

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
It is getting close to done.... Got to get Automan to take a trip out this way to tune up the old EA-82, and finish up some small details and it will be ready to take to the sky....

Here it is in the hangar, in one shot of the engine it is running....

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

DSC02187.jpg

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Hi Ron
Sweet!!!!

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
Wow!!!

Wow!!!

Nice Barry!!!

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
I see Barry went with the Aero carb also, how does it do, is it easy to start? what model did he get? I am going with the ACV-C04LS.will be ordering mine tomorrow. I see he mounted his as a down draft. I am going to mount mine as a side draft to a PVC manifold.

I will be intrested to see how his works out and we can compare notes.

Attachments

• IM008140.jpg
    IM008140.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IM008139.jpg
    IM008139.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
I am much more handsome in person!

bones

Gold Member
Aircraft
a/c
Total Flight Time
cant remember, didnt have log books before, but since over 3000
Barry,

Please help me out here, i can see clearly where the rear seat belt fitting are secured, but can we have a shot of where the front seat belts go to??
I will comment after the photos.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Aerocarb

Aerocarb

Barry, what do you think about that Aero carb so far?
how is it on starting?

I am ordering mine tomorrow.

was it hard to set up and adjust?

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Mark,

In the 3rd pic you can see a plate that is mounted to the rear of the front seat...it is then hard mounted to the frame of the gyro near the passenger rudder pedals.

The shoulder straps are there for roll over protection only so the belts are not to be very tight...alot of injuries are caused by a simple roll over accident when landing or just taxi-ing..(sp?)

Tim,
Don't know how I like the AeroCarb yet..need to get the engine tuned up so I can then tune the carb. I've heard good and bad things about the AeroCarbs...we'll have to see! It does start right up...no problems.....I ran 2 electric fuel pumps and a regulator.

BarryK

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Mark,

Tim,
Don't know how I like the AeroCarb yet..need to get the engine tuned up so I can then tune the carb. I've heard good and bad things about the AeroCarbs...we'll have to see! It does start right up...no problems.....I ran 2 electric fuel pumps and a regulator.

BarryK
Ok cool thanks, I just wanted to make sure it did not have a flooding problem,your is mounted down draft style,so if yours starts ok that way then I should be fine with the side draft mount. when I get mine and get it set up maybe we can compare notes.
do you have an EGT set up? I just sent off the money for an EGT from a piper comanche, it has a switch to cheak left or right sides. so I will be able to monitor each pipe on the Subaru.

I think the adjustable mixture will really make these carbs be worth the price.

will be watching to see how yours does, your machine looks great.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Alright , Now we are talking !

Looks great! What do you think of that redrive?

Let's get that prop on there!

Good luck with the tune up & test flights....I hope it's got the power to do 2 up.

Can't wait for some outdoor photos & detail shots. The motor mounts look interesting.

What size are the drive lugs on the prop flange(internal thread & outside OD)?

Who's prop ? Are you just going to use bolts with no nuts? Maybe drilled heads with safety wire ?

Animal sounds VERY excited ! Gotta love it when someone else is doing a project with the same stuff that you are using!

bones

Gold Member
Aircraft
a/c
Total Flight Time
cant remember, didnt have log books before, but since over 3000
Mark,

In the 3rd pic you can see a plate that is mounted to the rear of the front seat...it is then hard mounted to the frame of the gyro near the passenger rudder pedals.

The shoulder straps are there for roll over protection only so the belts are not to be very tight...alot of injuries are caused by a simple roll over accident when landing or just taxi-ing..(sp?)

BarryK

Ok i still really cant see much detail but i trust that you have thought it out, the only comment i have is just make sure that, the front seat belt is capible of taking forward G forces of about 9, incase of a bad front on crash, that all Barry

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
The Red Sky Matches Your Eyes

The Red Sky Matches Your Eyes

Hey..I've met Barry..he really DOES have red eyes! :D

Nice looking gyro, Barry. I look forward to watching you commit aviation with it.

*JC*

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Tim,
I've heard good and bad things about the AeroCarbs...we'll have to see! It does start right up...no problems.....I ran 2 electric fuel pumps and a regulator.

BarryK

Barry,what have you heard bad about them? I hate to say it, but my searches never found me alot of info,even on the yahoo aerovee group I did not get any feed back on the carb.

The main thing I heard bad, was if it don't start it can flood the engine fast and to remember to turn the fuel off.

I am going to see if I can find some kind of vac. operated fuel shut off like some of these new bikes have on them.

I plan to order my carb today I am ordering the ACV-04LS model.

what type throttle quadrant are you useing?

your setup looks great, I see you went with the Aerocarb breather. how does it mount to the carb? the website really does not show what holds it on. I am going to look for something like a K&N filter to use on mine.

I will post pics once I get the carb.

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
Console shot barry!

Console shot barry!

ultracruiser41 : How about a console shot for me. I am trying to get mine set up. Looks great!

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
Barry,

Do you have the 1/8 wall rear seat support tube?
Do you have the main control tube pivot changes installed?

These are a must for safety. If you do not know about these, please PM me so I can let you know the whys and hows.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
Aero Carb

Aero Carb

Tim,
Go to, www.aeroconversions.com, click on support, window will come up, click on manuals, scroll down page, you will come to filter installation, you can down load file for air filter installation.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Tim,

I've heard from several people that they are hard to set up for the Subaru. They are pretty simple carbs and they don't recommend carb heat! (that was one thing that made me want to use one!)

The air filter just slips over the intake and you drill and tap for a AN bolt to hol it on.

It does start right up with no problems.....just make sure the fuel pumps are off and the mixture is off. I built a little pan under the carb to help incase of an overflow.

BarryK

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Tim,

I've heard from several people that they are hard to set up for the Subaru. They are pretty simple carbs and they don't recommend carb heat! (that was one thing that made me want to use one!)

The air filter just slips over the intake and you drill and tap for a AN bolt to hol it on.

It does start right up with no problems.....just make sure the fuel pumps are off and the mixture is off. I built a little pan under the carb to help incase of an overflow.

BarryK
yeah I like the design,I think if we can get them dialed in they should work well. at least I sure hope we can get them dailed in, as you know they ain't cheap.

but really not a lot more then what a new Holley carb would cost. I just ordered mine this afternoon.

I was wonder what your start procedure was, I know the old Posa carb that the Aero carbs evolved from, you turned the fuel on for 5 seconds,then cut it back off,started the engine and as soon as it started,you would turn the fuel back on. I had a posa on a VW engine and it was the hardest thing to start.
at least on the Gyros we have electric starters.

when I get mine,we will have to compare notes,do you have EGT's on your Engine?

I could be wrong,but I feel with the inflight mixture control being able to monitor the temp would be a good thing.

I am sure you will be flying before me, so I will be watching your reports and keeping my fingers crossed that it works out as good as we both hope they do.

billygyro

Parsons 2 (AirHog)
Aircraft
Parsons 2 Lycoming 0320 powerd
Total Flight Time
350 F/W -82/Gyro and counting
Looks Good Barry,
I put a safty wire around my dist.cap where the clips fasten to the cap itself to keep them from popping off in flight. just a suggestion. Looking forward to seeing it fly, be safe and take your time, and LOVE IT.