Two Place Mosquito

tamflyer

Aircraft
Own OH-23 and HeliCycle.
What is latest time frame for availability of two place Mosquito ??

and projected price ??

pat

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
I think the best answer you will get from John Uptigrove is... We have no idea of a timeframe since there are so many complexities. We are just going at it with gusto. Pricing estimate has not been arrived at. The engine will most likely be the IO-320 Lycoming.

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
I went to visit the factory about two and half weeks ago and I was very impressed with the operation. Dwight has 13 full time guys working away there along with owners doing their builds there. I got to see the mold for the two place and also one side of the fuselage. It's every bit as big as a Robinson R22 but with a fenestron instead of a standard tail rotor. Picture a mini EC-120. I was told they plan on using a Lycoming O-360 for an engine. If its anything like the Mosquito I think it will be a hit and I would consider John Uptigrove the next Frank Robinson.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
... I would consider John Uptigrove the next Frank Robinson...
He's good at what he does! And he's a good guy too. There's definitely room in the marketplace for a two-seat American helicopter that is tough, reliable and simple, with good power reserves...that doesn't have all the purchase contract "baggage" and SFAR complications that the R-22 has.

It's not gonna be super affordable, but no two-seater ever has been.

Rotor Rooter

Dave Jackson
We all know the REAL BIG differences between helicpters is their drive and rotor systems.

Two that appear similar can be a universe apart.
Yes. For a start it looks like a 2-blade teetering rotor versus a 3-blade rigid rotor.

Nick Lappos mentioned many years ago that it would take up to 1/2 a billion dollars (or something like that) to get an absolutely new helicopter certified in the US. Apparently, this is why the R44 and the R66 are piggybacked on the R22 and why the S 92 is piggybacked on the Blackhawk (as I recollect).

Perhaps John will target the European CS-VLR (Very Light Rotorcraft) at 600 kg [1,320 lb].
And/or market it to the US by having it a 'kit / homebuilt / experimental'. :noidea:

Dave

Fly Army

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Yes, they have every intention of it being only a kit in the U.S. I'm not sure about the VLR idea. From the fuselage that I saw coupled with the 0-360 engine it would probably be in excess of that weight limit. Just a guess though.

Mylo

Aircraft
Helicycle Kit
Affordability is one of the draws of a current Mosquito. I guess time will tell on a 2 seater. Definitely something to keep an eye on given the Mosquito name and product line.

.....wonder why no tandem 2 seater helis...like some Gyros ? Mosquito...go tandem, kind of like a stretched version of what you already have, very, VERY cool.

Mylo

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
An affordable helicopter is useless if it's not durable and flyable. A perfect helicopter that no-one can afford is useless.

If John does his homework and brings a 2-seater to the market that is flyable and stout, and can be built by a person using a used Lycoming for $7k -$12k, and have the ship in the air for $70k or so, it may work.

The world doesn't need another fleet of dust-collecting Rotorways.

Mylo

Aircraft
Helicycle Kit
Bryan, I agree totally with your comment. A $75k 2 seater helicopter is what I would consider 'affordable'. ...in the big scheme of things. For sure, durable and flyable are priorities over cost. I would never buy a 'cheap' helicopter.

If Mosquito come up with a durable, flyable 2 seat helicopter in the $75k range, I think they'll have a winner,

Mylo

Fly Army

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
I think the 75k figure would be doable for someone who is very resourceful and would be willing to rebuild/overhaul a basket-case engine on their own. On the other hand I see an all new stuff price of closer to 100k.

HobbyCAD

Homebuilt Heli Enthusiast
.....wonder why no tandem 2 seater helis...like some Gyros ? Mosquito...go tandem, kind of like a stretched version of what you already have, very, VERY cool. Mylo
Mylo, hold your breath, you will soon see what I am coming out with!! This ability to "hold hands" while flying is for sissy's.

Cheers,

Francois

Mylo

Aircraft
Helicycle Kit
Francois,

I look forward to seeing your drawings/plans/models....whatever, if it's a tandem. Not that I'm in the market, it's just that I enjoy looking at new ideas.

I've always preferred tandems over side by side in fixed wing, it just makes way more sense to me to sit on the longitudinal axis. When sitting side by side, being pressed together is less than comfortable, particularly since I'm wide in the shoulder....a 42" cabin width for 2 people is a joke for me. I would prefer the slimmer cabin of a tandem, both asthetically and from a performance stand point. A tandem 2 seat helicopter would be more useful for a single pilot who wanted to remove the passenger seat and use the space for cargo. As for CG, if the pilot seat was the fore seat with the helicopter balanced with that in mind, the passenger seat/cargo area could be closest to the CG to reduce balance issues as much as possible....I'm no engineer, but it seems doable. I just think it would be a nice addition to the whole kit 'copter fleet, for those with preferences similar to mine.

As for a 2 seat side by side Mosquito, it promises to be a cool machine, just not one I personally would be interested in.

Mylo

Blue Chips

Aircraft
Brantly B2 N5911X
Total Flight Time
878 Brantly Helicopter 756 various fixed wing.
Have chuckled numerous times about the word "Affordable" used so frequently here.

Anyone that calls 75-100k affordable for a toy, even a quality toy here in the US has hit their head.
There is a world of difference between a reasonable cost for a product and affordable, 75-100K for a two place would be reasonably priced in today's economy, definitely not affordable for most which is what and who "affordable" refers to.

A million dollars or any amount would be affordable if you can afford it, affordable cannot be correctly used in that context.

Would be an interesting poll to see just how many here actually believe these figures are affordable.

Ken

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ken,

The word affordable is used here in the place of the more appropriate PHRASE "cheap enough to generate enough sales to make it a good business decision for the manufacturer." My guess is that there are less than 10 folks on this forum that could actually p1$$ away $70k on a fancy toy.

Fly Army

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Have chuckled numerous times about the word "Affordable" used so frequently here.

Anyone that calls 75-100k affordable for a toy, even a quality toy here in the US has hit their head.
There is a world of difference between a reasonable cost for a product and affordable, 75-100K for a two place would be reasonably priced in today's economy, definitely not affordable for most which is what and who "affordable" refers to.

A million dollars or any amount would be affordable if you can afford it, affordable cannot be correctly used in that context.

Would be an interesting poll to see just how many here actually believe these figures are affordable.

Ken
I pretty much agree with you but your view point also depends upon what part of the country you live in too. Here in South Florida I've seen more Bentley s, Lamborghinis and Ferrari s than anywhere I've ever lived. Most of these cars I had previously only seen on TV shows or in car magazines. Within one mile of where I sit there are no less than seven yachts of over 100' in length. What these people do to afford this kind of stuff is a mystery to me. One of these yachts is named "Golden Parachute" - probably one of those idiots that ran some company into the ground and then skated away with all his loot. Should have gotten a Golden Shower instead if you ask me.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Dennis' failed-and-arguably-almost-successful attempt to get a 2-seater to market in 1998 or so, was priced around $50k with an experimental 3 cylinder 2-stroke.

If you was willing to plop down the whole amount of cash very early $43k.