Two nights of free camping!

Randy,

Yes,, Lou commanded the 640th ASB in Iraq back in 2011, and later as the CA ARNG State Aviation Officer. How do you know Lou?

Wayne

Randy,

Yes,, Lou commanded the 640th ASB in Iraq back in 2011, and later as the CA ARNG State Aviation Officer. How do you know Lou?

Wayne

Lou is one of my very best friends for about 25 years now. Looks like he's due for one more deployment before he retires.
Randy

You guys missed the boat (literally, LARC 60). Us watercraft types in the Army Reserve carried cots, potta Johns, BBQ grills and fishing poles along with the regular gear(and ice chests filled with "after hours" refreshments, for those so inclined).

On one movement back to the LARC park, we had "intermittent engine noise" right beside the Jacksonville Landing. So we had to stop and let the engines cool. Being a non-imbibing, married man, my post was to guard the LARC 60s (yes two of them in case there was an 'emergency' with the "stricken" one) while the rest of both crews looked for assistance at the local Hooters.

Funny how the noise cleared right up after that.

Kenny in Florida

Hi Kenny
Is this a picture of an LARC 60? It looks like fun to me.
The military has the coolest toys.

Attachments

• LARC60.jpg
    LARC60.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1
That is the beast. Open well deck inside that could handle an M1-A1 Abrams Main battle tank with 3 inches to spare on each side and you have to dismount the main gun or the front ramp won't close.

Not exactly a speedy bugger, 7 knots empty, 7 knots full (60 tons rough water, 100 tons in protected harbors), and maybe 12 to 15 mph on land (unsprung using the tires for suspension).

But they can run all day (and all night) with nary a hiccup.

All are decommissioned now I think, after a big upgrade (went from 4 Detroit 6-71 Diesels to 2 Detroit 12-71's). There is a local one (from my old unit) at a small museum in Green Cove, Florida, just up the road. I've been meaning to stop off and see if they have the logs and look for my signature.

Kenny in Florida

Thank you Kenny for the rest of the story...