Twinstarr help.

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
I need help with the upper rudder bell crank travel. What is it? Mine is not moving very far at all this is with the push rods at factory settings. Before I drill the HS tube and bolt in place, I need to make sure the rudder travel is right.

Brent Drake

Gyroplane Instructor
Aircraft
Pipers/Cessna's/gyro's
Total Flight Time
3,000+
Brent, Rick you'd be your best bet. He's had more experience tarring them apart. Or Jim. He's building one now also.
Brent

Rick Whittridge

Gold Member
Aircraft
Bensen B8-M / Twinstarr
Brent Brown, I did not have a manual with measurements for the pushrods, so when I replaced the pushrods I had to adjust everything at all points. Start out with the bottom control yoke adjusted so they are square & equal spacing when the cables are hooked up & the pedals are squared up as well. Then you can move onto the pushrods & the rudder linkage adjustments. You will have to adjust several times to get everything square & make sure you pedals are squared up.

Attachments

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
If any of you that have a twinstarr can just tell me how far the upper bell crank travels. like from stop to stop. I can get it done. Or tell me how any degrees your rudder moves from stop to stop. You didn't have to build it to tell me this.
Thanks

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
OK I know it is cold. but if one of you make it to your twinstarr would you see how far the bell crank end that you can see on the outside of the rudder moves.

Attachments

Brent Drake

Gyroplane Instructor
Aircraft
Pipers/Cessna's/gyro's
Total Flight Time
3,000+
Brent. I've not seen mine all month. Building a new rotorhead. I'll go there today for you. But I need a little more detail on the measurement you need. So I will get it correct.

Between what to points do you want measured.

Last edited:

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
Yes it is an RAF head. why? I put the RAF papers in the box with it didn't I that has all the parts and part numbers?

If you look at the small push rod that moves the rudder. one end is on the rudder the other is on a bell crank. All I need to know is how far that bell crank travels from left stop to right stop. Or how many degess the rudder travels all left to all right.

Thanks

Brent Drake

Gyroplane Instructor
Aircraft
Pipers/Cessna's/gyro's
Total Flight Time
3,000+
Brent Here is a pic of what I think you need. Let me know if it's it. If it is I got some answers for you.

Attachments

Caribean_gyro

Platinum Member
Aircraft
twinstar
Total Flight Time
500+
The main trick if to have the rudder perfecet horizontal level before you mark and drill the holding bolt. as for the bell crank mine almost rest against the rudder. but this is defined by the pushrods inside the HZ . Now is critical that the pedals be level lower belcrak attachement centered and rudder aligned. then I adjusted the pushrod.

The critical part is that if they dont ravel equally you will have a yaw tendency and will dirve you nuts. Been there done that.

I will be scanning more manual soon to put in Tim web
ChuckP

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
This bell crank is the one. How far will it move left and right? OR how many degess will your rudder move from center to all right.

Attachments

Brent Drake

Gyroplane Instructor
Aircraft
Pipers/Cessna's/gyro's
Total Flight Time
3,000+
yes Brent this web site is very very helpful. I'm sorry I did not get back sooner. But with 0 deg's outside, and now 7" of snow. I'm in the heating business and been very busy. But here is your pic's

Attachments

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
That is it. I guess my push rods are to short I need about an inch more travel but the are made as the book calls for???
Thank you Brent for your help.