Turbo 2.5 subaru performance

greg I honestly don't know,I would say the turbo weighs about 5 lbs,there is no muffler

(the one on the picture has been removed),the radiator is being replaced as we speak

with an aluminiun one the old radiator weighed 22 lbs and was 27" wide(trying to reduce

weight and drag),there is no intake box(intercooler) so I would guess about 15 lbs more than

a single cam 2.5.

My fuel burn is the same with one or two on board I figure about 6-7 GPH @ 3,900 and

about 8 GPH @ 4200. sorry about not knowing the precise weight.

Best regards,eddie.....

Thanks, Eddie! I recently visited a soob shop in TX, the guy had at least two dozen soobs on the shelf, and had a REALLY pretty aluminum soob engine mount he designed and fabricates for a very easy bolt-on to gyrocopter mast and keel. I asked him how much the soobs weighed, he said the 2.5 is over 300 lbs. This surprised me, I thought they were lighter than that. Sounds like the the small weight gain for the turbo is definitely worth the installation.

Hey Greg,

Did the guy in TX have a weight for a Sub 2.2? Just curious as to how much extra weight one has to accommodate if they wanted to move from a 2.2 to a 2.5?

As I understand it... many 2.2's run around 130-135HP... while the 2.5's run 150-165HP. Be interesting to do the weight/HP ratio on both apps... then figure a weight/HP for a turbo boosting to around 200HP. I suspect the turbo would win the weight/HP when comparing these 3 motors.

IMO these are definitely 2 place motors... unless one just wants to build a hotrod... :)

Greg,that is a surprise they weigh that much,the addition of the turbo is actually a very

small amount, and the gain in performance is amazing. When I started replacing my radiator

the weight of that surprised me,I believe that the weight of the 2.2 that was on it

and the weight of the 2.5 will be about the same with the removal of the heavy radiator.

thanks for your interest.

Best regards,eddie.....

Paul a lot of the sandrail/dune buggys that run turbo Subaru engines have there turbo's

set up that way,it make more sense doing it that way instead of the way mine is.

Putting my wastegate on the exhaust was just simpler for me.

Best regards,eddie.....

Howdy All,

Nowings, what was the name of the shop in Tx and where was it located?

Thanks